• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photobucket Errors
2 2

86 posts in this topic

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, edowens71 said:

Seriously...take a look at this thread: 

Many of those broken links in the EC section (for example) were active yesterday, now they are sporadically broken. What's more, different links appear/are broken depending on which browser I use...Chrome vs. Explorer results in different images appearing, and different links broken. What the hell?

TL;DR version - hold down control and hit F5 to reload the page and reset your browser cache. OR, just wait it out and it should fix itself.

Long version:

This is  because those images get cached (a copy of them is saved) at multiple levels in the chain. Each one of those cache spots has what's called a "time to live" - a certain amount of time before the base resource is re-checked for a new version. Here are the places that image lives:

1. Photobucket
  2. A cached copy retrieved by the boards so it can be served encrypted to prevent browser warnings
  3. A cached copy stored on servers spread around the globe so anyone who asks to see the image can fetch it from a nearby server
  4. Your browser - so that if you load that page more than once, the subsequent page loads will be super fast because you don't have to get the image from the server again

If you use something like Chrome to look at the images while they're broken, then Chrome will cache the broken copy, and until that cache expires, it will keep looking broken. Then, if you load it in explorer at a different point in time, maybe some of the images have started to work, and it caches those.

If you hold down control-F5 you can reload the page and reset your browser cache. That won't help you if there are still broken versions stored at steps 2 and 3 above, but it will fix your local copy in the browser.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Took over 20 seconds for your thread to load.

That's weird. Even if I reset my cache, that page loads very quickly. Something is up with your internet connection or browser. Are you running any funky extensions like adblock, or a privacy guard that is doing something weird?

That page is 2.6s for me on my home cable internet connection, even with the browser cache disabled. To get it to 12.8s, I had to turn off the browser cache and throttle the load speed down to mobile 4G speeds.

What device and connection are you on that it's taking 20seconds? There is 6meg of images / content there, so if your connection is slow, there's no getting around that it will take a while to load.

50 minutes ago, Architecht said:

That's weird. Even if I reset my cache, that page loads very quickly. Something is up with your internet connection or browser. Are you running any funky extensions like adblock, or a privacy guard that is doing something weird?

That page is 2.6s for me on my home cable internet connection, even with the browser cache disabled. To get it to 12.8s, I had to turn off the browser cache and throttle the load speed down to mobile 4G speeds.

What device and connection are you on that it's taking 20seconds? There is 6meg of images / content there, so if your connection is slow, there's no getting around that it will take a while to load.

test.jpg.0db2c8a50c2a94918d6c80dc6d0b5939.jpg

Firefox with Adblock.  Adblock has never been an issue.

about.png.5eaebfc6803a92f5eaa92b1c4e9753cc.png

• Administrator
1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

test.jpg.0db2c8a50c2a94918d6c80dc6d0b5939.jpg

Firefox with Adblock.  Adblock has never been an issue.

about.png.5eaebfc6803a92f5eaa92b1c4e9753cc.png

It's firefox specific, I think. I just loaded the page in firefox and it was slow. Chrome was fast. hm

4 hours ago, Architecht said:

TL;DR version - hold down control and hit F5 to reload the page and reset your browser cache. OR, just wait it out and it should fix itself.

Cool...learn something new every day...that worked! Thanks...(also, thanks for the explanation)

On April 27, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Architecht said:

Long version:

This is  because those images get cached (a copy of them is saved) at multiple levels in the chain. Each one of those cache spots has what's called a "time to live" - a certain amount of time before the base resource is re-checked for a new version. Here are the places that image lives:

1. Photobucket
  2. A cached copy retrieved by the boards so it can be served encrypted to prevent browser warnings
  3. A cached copy stored on servers spread around the globe so anyone who asks to see the image can fetch it from a nearby server
  4. Your browser - so that if you load that page more than once, the subsequent page loads will be super fast because you don't have to get the image from the server again

If you use something like Chrome to look at the images while they're broken, then Chrome will cache the broken copy, and until that cache expires, it will keep looking broken. Then, if you load it in explorer at a different point in time, maybe some of the images have started to work, and it caches those.

If you hold down control-F5 you can reload the page and reset your browser cache. That won't help you if there are still broken versions stored at steps 2 and 3 above, but it will fix your local copy in the browser.

wesaluteyou2.jpg