• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photobucket Errors
2 2

86 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I finally got to log on to the Bucket in 4 days. Got on in the first try, rather quickly I might add. Seems to be working normal now. I tried to post a few fotos as I usually do and no dice. I feel better crossing one hurdle off the list. Seems to be here.

I'm finding the same problems and trying to bypass without luck (:

6 hours ago, Architecht said:

Does anyone know if photobucket will block an IP address that requests too many images? Maybe the proxy is being blocked for heavy access since it basically loads all of the images for every user.

I can't find anything in their knowledge base about this.

Interesting idea, though this would presumably have the same effect on the NGC boards (unless there's way fewer PB photo posts on NGC compared to CGC...)

7 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

+1.  No photobucket for me.  Too bad to as I was about to respond to Gator's awesome 5 favorite Golden Age post.

If you download the image from PB, you can then drag it on to the boards using the gray "Drag files here ..." box at the bottom of each reply post.

That's what I've been doing.  While it's a means of posting new images (indirectly) from PB, it does nothing, of course, to help the problem of the many links to old images that remain broken.

• Administrator
15 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Interesting idea, though this would presumably have the same effect on the NGC boards (unless there's way fewer PB photo posts on NGC compared to CGC...)

Yeah, I don't think it would, because the volume is much lower, and the cache expiration is set higher - so far fewer requests. I have a request in at photobucket to ask if this is a thing, but they haven't responded yet.

This wouldn't have been a problem on the old board, because we didn't proxy the images - we didn't need to because we weren't serving via https.

In truth, we don't need to for photobucket either since they allow https links, BUT the proxy isn't smart enough to check that before deciding to cache and proxy the image.

Even when the boards don't cache the image (i.e. I turn off that feature) the boards still check to make sure the link is a valid image - even that basic check is failing for photobucket right now, but ONLY for the CGC boards. This is what makes me suspect that the problem is that photobucket is rejecting this specific server's requests for some reason.

I can't prove that myself because I don't control the server, and Invision support isn't confirming it, but I'm working on it.

1 hour ago, Architecht said:

Yeah, I don't think it would, because the volume is much lower, and the cache expiration is set higher - so far fewer requests. I have a request in at photobucket to ask if this is a thing, but they haven't responded yet.

This wouldn't have been a problem on the old board, because we didn't proxy the images - we didn't need to because we weren't serving via https.

In truth, we don't need to for photobucket either since they allow https links, BUT the proxy isn't smart enough to check that before deciding to cache and proxy the image.

Even when the boards don't cache the image (i.e. I turn off that feature) the boards still check to make sure the link is a valid image - even that basic check is failing for photobucket right now, but ONLY for the CGC boards. This is what makes me suspect that the problem is that photobucket is rejecting this specific server's requests for some reason.

I can't prove that myself because I don't control the server, and Invision support isn't confirming it, but I'm working on it.

Thanks Arch. We await your further sleuthing.  :popcorn:

20 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

If you download the image from PB, you can then drag it on to the boards using the gray "Drag files here ..." box at the bottom of each reply post.

That's what I've been doing.  While it's a means of posting new images (indirectly) from PB, it does nothing, of course, to help the problem of the many links to old images that remain broken.

Thanks.  This solution works for new posts, alas the old posts are mostly picture less.  I'm going to drink to Arch fixing the problem tonight.

• Administrator

Some progress here, guys. It does turn out that photobucket blocked our server. I'm still trying to find out precisely what events precipitated that outcome.

The current status should be that you CAN now embed photobucket images again.

The OLD photobucket images that were cached by the boards server are still broken. I THINK that with the server block lifted, that over the next few days, those cached images will refresh and start working again with no user actions - but I'm seeking to verify that.

7 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Some progress here, guys. It does turn out that photobucket blocked our server. I'm still trying to find out precisely what events precipitated that outcome.

The OLD photobucket images that were cached by the boards server are still broken. I THINK that with the server block lifted, that over the next few days, those cached images will refresh and start working again with no user actions - but I'm seeking to verify that.

Yep...They're already coming back en masse in one of my threads...

:applause:

2 hours ago, Architecht said:

You are my hero Arch.:foryou:

12 hours ago, Architecht said:

Exciting news. Thanks!  :wishluck:  (thumbsu

21 hours ago, Architecht said:

We're saved!  Seems like only a couple of days ago we were doomed! :)

55 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Very happy that this issue has been sorted.  Thanks, Arch.  (thumbsu

FYI I did find that I had to upload a new image (URL) from PB in order to restore my sig line. The image I had been using was still failing, that is, I could see it on PB, but wasn't able to copy its URL successfully into my sig line settings on the boards. Given that it looks like there are still some "corrupted" sig lines among some of the boardies, I would suggest creating a new image for this (which can be done directly on PB using the "edit" function).

4 hours ago, edowens71 said:

Well, now some of the ones that came back have gone away again... hm  

Seriously...take a look at this thread: 

Many of those broken links in the EC section (for example) were active yesterday, now they are sporadically broken. What's more, different links appear/are broken depending on which browser I use...Chrome vs. Explorer results in different images appearing, and different links broken. What the hell?

5 minutes ago, edowens71 said:
4 hours ago, edowens71 said:

Well, now some of the ones that came back have gone away again... hm  

Seriously...take a look at this thread: 

Many of those broken links in the EC section (for example) were active yesterday, now they are sporadically broken. What's more, different links appear/are broken depending on which browser I use...Chrome vs. Explorer results in different images appearing, and different links broken. What the hell?

Took over 20 seconds for your thread to load.