• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC's TITANS on HBO Max
1 1

278 posts in this topic

I just finished binge watching this, and I never binge watch stuff. I really enjoyed it, even though I'm still up in the middle of the night, lol.

Looking forward to the next season.

I did like the first season better than the 2nd, but it was still good.

Brenton Thwaites’ Grayson, who, rightly so, has been in a very dark place the last few seasons, has made the transformation from brooding Batman Jr. to the charming Nightwing we all know and love. Combine that with a cast that doesn’t feel like it’s bursting at the seams anymore, the balance of characters and storylines is much more organic than in previous seasons. Grayson’s relationship with Commissioner Barbara Gordon, played by the incredibly charming Savanna Welch, is a fantastic new addition to the series as well.

Having already been a highlight of previous seasons, Curran Walters’ ability to turn from the vulnerable, abrasive teenager to a sadistic psychopath cements him as one of the best actors in the show, with his chemistry alongside Iain Glen’s Bruce Wayne and Vincent Kartheiser’s Jonathan Crane being one of the strongest aspects of the season.

While many anticipated Starfire’s sister Blackfire as the main antagonist of the season, the show has subverted expectations once again to lean into a more Game of Thrones-angle with the Tamaranean family. The idea works just as well in the show as it does on paper, with Anna Diop and Damaris Lewis playing incredibly well off each other. It seems like a slow burn storyline to match the quick pace of the Red Hood arc, which is a welcome development as well.

From a technical standpoint, this season is miles above the last two. Perhaps it’s the HBO Max budget increase, or just having worked out the kinks, but whatever it’s, it’s a welcome improvement. The fight choreography and editing are fantastic, something the show has lacked. The Titans getting to fight as a team is a welcome sight, especially when it is as visually striking as it is in the first five episodes of the season.

The lack of filler, quick pacing, and well-developed and planned storylines jump season three of Titans to one of the best seasons of television DC has produced.

‘Titans’ Season 3: An Effective Superhero-Family Drama

The season 3 premiere of Titans features what may just be my favorite scene from the whole series thus far. That feels like a good way to open this review considering my watch of the third season essentially opened with that thought too.

Speaking of exceptional, the show produces one of the most intense hours of television you’ll see all year and, in all honesty, it’s probably the single-greatest hour of Titans ever. A bold statement to make, but mind-blowing would be a generic understatement. And it almost feels wrong of me to say such a thing because I don’t want to undermine the other episodes of the season because each one offers up its own strengths in this intricately-plotted story.

Having now seen the first five episodes of Titans season 3, I can safely say that the show is on course to deliver its best season thus far. Could it all still fall apart? Sure, the show does have a tendency to get muddled as it goes on and there are still some minor issues in the first couple of episodes, but I really hope it doesn’t because I can tell you that I have never enjoyed this show more and I’m rooting for it to succeed now more than ever.

There is a lot to love in Titans‘ third season. From the introduction of new characters like Barbara Gordon and Tim Drake, to the promise of a more balanced show that makes more time for its characters (yes Starfire fans, there is some great stuff coming your way!), the show has never been more enjoyable. And, for the first time in a long time, I can say with total confidence: “Titans, Go!”.

Titans season 3 premieres on HBO Max on Thursday, August 12.

There is a noticeably different atmosphere among the characters, particularly among series lead Grayson, portrayed by Brenton Thwaites. For the previous seasons, has been a loner, always keeping secrets from his allies, refusing to lead, and constantly leaving them as well. Here, has grown into the marvelous hero that’s been gracing the page for decades, full of humor, hope, and a much lighter feel, and Thwaites’ performance is all the better for it.

Red Hood is joined by Vincent Kartheiser’s Jonathan Crane, who plays a Hannibal Lecter-like role, as recruits him to help stop the Red Hood. Kartheiser portrays the twisted doctor in an incredibly comic-accurate portrayal, managing to embody the Scarecrow without ever wearing the mask. The decision to make Crane a stoner in the series is certainly a strange one, but absolutely fits with this adaptation of the character. Last but not least, although she isn’t the focus of the opening five episodes, Damaris Lewis’ Blackfire shares great chemistry with Diop’s Starfire, and seeing where she goes this season, after being announced as the main villain, should make for an intriguing journey moving forward.

Titans will never be able to erase the fact that it delivered two lackluster opening seasons that failed to tell a well put-together and coherent story in every way. The only thing they could do to try and make up for that was to finally listen to the fans and deliver a show that honors the characters people know and love, and if season 3 continues on the road it takes in the first five episodes, it may very well redeem itself. With a strong narrative and well-written characters at the forefront, the rebirth of Titans on HBO Max is truly great. Let’s just hope they can stick the landing.

OVERALL: 4.0/5 stars