• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC's TITANS on HBO Max
1 1

278 posts in this topic

The Titans are back and on a new home! Rather than watching this dark DC comic book show on DC Universe (which is now gone), you can watch it on HBO Max. Furthermore, you can watch the first three episodes now and believe me, you’re going to want to.

If you aren’t a comic book reader, you’ve probably encountered the Titans in a cartoon show called Teen Titans. However, the last two seasons of this show has shown us that this series is not afraid to be dark or gritty. It’s taking what we love from DC Comics and really putting pen to paper. The show, even though it’s on a new home; keeps that adult-mannered groundedness while also living within a comic book realm. And we see a lot of stories from the comics being ripped from the pages and put on the small screen.

I think the first three episodes of Titans shows that DC is doing some of its best work on the small screen as opposed to the big screen. The way that they can be gritty without being so drab and have these sort of storylines and acting with the budget they have is really great to see. I’m looking forward to more intensity and blood spilled, as indicated in these first three episodes.

OVERALL: 4.0/5 stars

On 8/12/2021 at 9:52 AM, Pete Marino said:

as a complete mark for Grant Morrison, and the fact they take from his run liberally, you won't get any argument from me on that.

They just took the show to a very deep and intense level.

Red_Hood01.thumb.jpg.ad144f6b832ef27e538983ddb588e614.jpg

Between the new Titans and Doom Patrol, this is going to be a wild time.

I watched half of Season 1, but fell off. I watched the beginning of Season 3, and it does seem improved, like everyone is saying. Do I go back or just start with Season 3?

Also, aren't Superboy and Krypto way too over-powered to be on this team? Do they ever explain why he can't just fly around and solve all the problems?

On 8/15/2021 at 3:44 PM, adampasz said:

I watched half of Season 1, but fell off. I watched the beginning of Season 3, and it does seem improved, like everyone is saying. Do I go back or just start with Season 3?

Also, aren't Superboy and Krypto way too over-powered to be on this team? Do they ever explain why he can't just fly around and solve all the problems?

Maybe the show isn't something you will ever appreciate. It happens. No harm to that determination.

But for someone that has read The New Teen Titans since DC Comics Present #26 (1980), I very much appreciate this show. And having Red Hood show up now is solid. We have decades of material to source. It doesn't have to be in publication order.

On 8/15/2021 at 12:57 PM, Bosco685 said:

Maybe the show isn't something you will ever appreciate. It happens. No harm to that determination.

But for someone that has read The New Teen Titans since DC Comics Present #26 (1980), I very much appreciate this show. And having Red Hood show up now is solid. We have decades of material to source. It doesn't have to be in publication order.

I also read NTT since DCCP #26. It is probably my #1 all time favorite super-hero comic run. Maybe that is part of the problem, but I am still willing to give the show a chance. :)

On 8/15/2021 at 4:09 PM, adampasz said:

I also read NTT since DCCP #26. It is probably my #1 all time favorite super-hero comic run. Maybe that is part of the problem, but I am still willing to give the show a chance. :)

If that is part of the problem, maybe you are forcing yourself to assume everything must be in comic book order (which even the MCU never does with its films and TV shows).

For me, they are taking decades of material and compressing it into three seasons. And IMO, doing a good job of it recognizing all the characters and stories they have to play with. Know what I mean?

Folks that are assuming Season 3 finally shows them as a team may have missed they were starting out not as a team but powered individuals that started to come together. And since Season 2 that is when the team formed leading to the situations we have seen them experienced (for those that watched it - I think you are missing out).

Batman as an old and somewhat tired character was what threw me off. But as the show has progressed, I see where they are going with this.

On 8/15/2021 at 1:15 PM, Bosco685 said:

If that is part of the problem, maybe you are forcing yourself to assume everything must be in comic book order (which even the MCU never does with its films and TV shows).

For me, they are taking decades of material and compressing it into three seasons. And IMO, doing a good job of it recognizing all the characters and stories they have to play with. Know what I mean?

Folks that are assuming Season 3 finally shows them as a team may have missed they were starting out not as a team but powered individuals that started to come together. And since Season 2 that is when the team formed leading to the situations we have seen them experienced (for those that watched it - I think you are missing out).

Batman as an old and somewhat tired character was what threw me off. But as the show has progressed, I see where they are going with this.

I know it can't be the comics. They would need an Infinity War-sized budget to do justice to the comics.

I was just concerned that S1 looked like yet another Arrow-verse show, but with F-bombs and more violence. I'm glad Season 3 is getting good reviews, and I'll give it another chance.

On 8/15/2021 at 4:25 PM, adampasz said:

I know it can't be the comics. They would need an Infinity War-sized budget to do justice to the comics.

I was just concerned that S1 looked like yet another Arrow-verse show, but with F-bombs and more violence. I'm glad Season 3 is getting good reviews, and I'll give it another chance.

Would it though?

If we go back to those early Wolfman-Perez stories we were reading about the sidekicks and some newcomers learning to work together as a team. And even by The New Teen Titans #2 with the death of the Ravager and Deathstroke being convinced by the HIVE to fulfill his contract there was nothing over-the-top with backstory or surroundings.

You may find out in Season 2 they actually circled back to this story quite nicely. To include how Joseph fits into the picture. Give it a try, if you are up to it.

:tink:

On 8/15/2021 at 4:44 PM, Dr Zen said:

I just wish Beast Boy could turn into something other than a tiger.

I think they are building up to that with him...

Spoiler

watching those Animal Planet videos of the most dangerous creatures in the wild :fear:

On 8/15/2021 at 4:54 PM, Bosco685 said:

I think they are building up to that with him...

Hide contents

watching those Animal Planet videos of the most dangerous creatures in the wild :fear:

got busy with life, but finished episodes 1 and 2 and am sold.  I think they are going in a great direction.

Someone better tell Beast Boy that Shark is taken!  Don't want to step on any other team's toes.

On 8/16/2021 at 11:46 AM, Pete Marino said:

got busy with life, but finished episodes 1 and 2 and am sold.  I think they are going in a great direction.

Someone better tell Beast Boy that Shark is taken!  Don't want to step on any other team's toes.

:insane:

That would be a funny scene if he did it and rest of the team shouted, "DONE ALREADY!"

Thus far in HBO's Titans, Grayson's Robin successor Jason Todd was killed by the Joker but has since been resurrected as the darker Red Hood, targeting and the Titans themselves who've come to Gotham.

The team's arrival was in response to Bruce Wayne leaving the city after killing the Joker, telling Nightwing to "Be a better Batman." Now, is struggling with the concept of stepping into his surrogate father's shoes, all while his friends are in danger of being killed by Jason's Red Hood. As a result, has decided to break Scarecrow out of prison believing that Crane is Jason's accomplice, and it's here in Titans season 3, episode 2 where reveals his dark training to become Batman's first Robin.

As Scarecrow tries to get inside Nightwing's head after being taken to a cabin in the woods, shares his time training with Batman in this same cabin where he was taught to turn his fear into a weapon. Apparently, Bruce was adamant that (and later Jason) learn that "fear is your friend", forcing them to go out into the forest on their own to face the darkness and unknown as young children. In 's case, the former Robin reveals that he was chased by a hungry wolf in the dead of night, painting a picture of severe child endangerment on Batman's part.

While some would argue that that's par for the course considering what Bruce Wayne was training Grayson and Jason Todd for, it gets worse. ended up conquering his fears in the darkest way possible by killing and beheading the wolf with a knife: "I shouldn't have been afraid of the wolf. The wolf should have been afraid of me." Furthermore, it seems as though Batman was actually proud of 's brutal deed.