• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share Your Short Stuff - Digests, Half-sized, and Other Smaller Than Normal Golden Age Comics
2 2

115 posts in this topic

Just now, BakerFanOne said:

Here are some that I just posted on the Baker Romance thread:

BoldStories1.jpg

CandidTales.jpg

CaseOfTheWinking.jpg

Love these!  I've never had an opportunity to flip through either of the first two.  The Candid Tales is in great condition for a digest.  

The Candid Tales has some color touch, but it is the only I have ever seen for sale so beggars cannot be choosers. 

I have a higher grade CGC copies of Bold Stories 1 and the Yellow Cover Candid Tales which I will post later when I get a chance to scan them.

1 minute ago, BakerFanOne said:

So  many interesting historical items to share.  Maybe we will find some new items not in the Overstreet!

The fact that makes Sciuscià particularly relevant – despite the fact that it was published after the war – is that the De Sica movie which inspired the comic depicts a reality which presented itself in Italy slight after the war, during the american occupation (1944-45): the term originated in the Napoli dialect, as a distortion of the english "shoeshine": the "sciuscià" were kids that earned some money by polishing the shoes of the more well-heeled, and was probably coined by the american soldiers, and then adopted in italian.
The leading character of the strip is a sort of "teenage sidekick", of the same kind of the ones you see in Lev Gleason's Daredevil, which tries to beat the poorness and survive the climate of the end of the war by traveling with his friends: his girl friend and some adults.

1 minute ago, vaillant said:

The fact that makes Sciuscià particularly relevant – despite the fact that it was published after the war – is that the De Sica movie which inspired the comic depicts a reality which presented itself in Italy slight after the war, during the american occupation (1944-45): the term originated in the Napoli dialect, as a distortion of the english "shoeshine": the "sciuscià" were kids that earned some money by polishing the shoes of the more well-heeled, and was probably coined by the american soldiers, and then adopted in italian.
The leading character of the strip is a sort of "teenage sidekick", of the same kind of the ones you see in Lev Gleason's Daredevil, which tries to beat the poorness and survive the climate of the end of the war by traveling with his friends: his girl friend and some adults.

Wow that is some really interesting background.  After WW2 - given the tensions between Russia and the US and the immediate occupation of Eastern Germany by the Russians as well as much of Easter Europe, it seemed like Italy got somewhat ignored even though it was the other major European Axis power.   I guess the US wanted to consolidate NATO and was happy to have Italy as an ally against Russia and the growing Communist threat. 

Just now, BakerFanOne said:

Wow that is some really interesting background.  After WW2 - given the tensions between Russia and the US and the immediate occupation of Eastern Germany by the Russians as well as much of Easter Europe, it seemed like Italy got somewhat ignored even though it was the other major European Axis power.   I guess the US wanted to consolidate NATO and was happy to have Italy as an ally against Russia and the growing Communist threat. 

For all the good and the bad, we have been very much "culturally colonized" by the american culture at the time.
The postwar climate in Italy was pretty unique: de facto we were coming out of a sort of "civil war" lasted twenty years and more: nothing like this happened in Germany, where the consensus, even with popular elements, was not coinciding with regular people's aspirations.
And as far as Japan goes, what I can grasp is that their loss of the war was heavy on the spiritual plane, as they regarded the emperor as a semi-divine figure: it was the end of an era.
It would be cool to have a comics-related discussion about these topics…

Here are some of mine - 

The first grouping of three Supes are at CGC now - they are Kellogg's giveaways.  The next is a Mighty Midget that you don't see too often and last one is the lowest grade example of the Pocket which I think is one of the more common of those digests (especially seeing all the ones in this thread).

590633bea4329_Supermankellogsminis.thumb.jpeg.a067d0f12cfc186c7ee893e5728d4056.jpeg590633cf44e0c_dr.voltzthehumangeneratornn.jpg.4726c09c736a8ae8d67466df4d343579.jpgpocketcomics3.jpg.c6b375c3d505c9179fdeb5e3c1b6a406.jpg

21 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I was selling at a show yesterday and missed this thread. I have a lot of these. Still need a few Pocket and Speeds which I will probably never get. Here are a few that haven't been posted.

This is a scarce Timely digest. Kind of like Ripley's Believe it or not.

comamazing1_zpspzmcbqw2.jpg

These are great.  I've got a few of them, I've tended to limit myself to those with Wolverton art.  I've never seen or heard of a comprehensive list of them, have you?  

On 4/30/2017 at 7:23 AM, vaillant said:

These are issues from Sciuscià, a strip-sized important series that came out after WW2 – not all issues are strictly related to war events but many episodes are (episodes ran for more than a single issue, in continuation). I am collecting little by little the ones where the action is set during the war.
The character is inspired by neorealistic movie "Shoeshine" by Vittorio De Sica. More information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciuscià_(comics)

8Zn8oGil.jpg
Yk9AQAOl.jpg
EcMCmSKl.jpg
XPa8seVl.jpg
147z0zhl.jpg

These are fantastic! And so historic in so many ways. Love the tie in with De Sica...