• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HAS SUPERMAN 1 PEAKED?

31 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2017 at 5:27 PM, batman_fan said:

Not even close to peaking.  I wish I could have bought Jeff's restored copy he offered on the boards several years back.

I should've kept that one.  doh!

3 hours ago, Primetime said:

$83k for the HA 1.0 with part of the BC missing...still up up and away :)

I believe (and am thankful) that one person was willing to (imo) significantly pay for this particular copy. Whew!

6 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I believe (and am thankful) that one person was willing to (imo) significantly pay for this particular copy. Whew!

Very hard to satisfy the Gator...too low grade... :whatthe: In hindsight, that .5 with a beautiful front cover sold at Heritage about a year ago...looks a bit more beautiful.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

On 5/3/2017 at 1:34 AM, shadroch said:

Is Superman 1 the first time a comic book story is reprinted?  I've never read the original but isn't it a retelling of Action #1 plus reprints of Action 2 and 3?

I wouldn't sell it , except maybe for a house.

Superman #1 reprints Action Comics #1-4, replacing the beginning of Action #1's origin story with new art and new dialog.  Most notable here is the 1st app. of "Ma" and "Pa" Kent, who were not in Action #1.

The "reprint" component begins with Superman bringing the woman to the Governor's estate.

There is a page dedicated to the scientific explanation of Superman's powers, which is also new material.

The cover image was swiped from the splash of Action Comics #10, but nevertheless, became one of the most iconic images in comic book history.

Many incorrectly label Superman #1 as "just a collection of reprints", but it was so much more. As the very first comic book devoted to the exploits of a single "superhero" character, it marked a pivotal point in the evolution of the medium.