• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Francisco Comic Con - September 1-3: Bruce Timm, Bill Sienkiewicz, Josh Middleton

48 posts in this topic

To be fair, the promoters are serious comic guys and board members. One of them wrote a manuscript about collecting comics and was shopping it around to publishers. This show is way more comic-centric than most big shows around the country.  The trade dressage they had outside the entrance last year was incredible with really perfectly chosen vintage and modern images. They get good comic creator guests, but they can't control what vendors sign up.  Last year was a very successful show, so I'm kind of baffled at the vendor list. It must be a holiday weekend thing, plus the conflict with Long Beach. And of course San Francisco hotel prices...

Also, the vendor list was absolutely front and center, right at the top of the main home page. (Maybe if you're using a phone it doesn't show up well?) Bunky Brothers should have some incredible stuff and I am bringing more than ever.

10 hours ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

To be fair, the promoters are serious comic guys and board members. One of them wrote a manuscript about collecting comics and was shopping it around to publishers. This show is way more comic-centric than most big shows around the country.  The trade dressage they had outside the entrance last year was incredible with really perfectly chosen vintage and modern images. They get good comic creator guests, but they can't control what vendors sign up.  Last year was a very successful show, so I'm kind of baffled at the vendor list. It must be a holiday weekend thing, plus the conflict with Long Beach. And of course San Francisco hotel prices...

Also, the vendor list was absolutely front and center, right at the top of the main home page. (Maybe if you're using a phone it doesn't show up well?) Bunky Brothers should have some incredible stuff and I am bringing more than ever.

Sorry, I don't mean to bash the promoters. They are well respected boardies and I am sure they are trying to fill the void left by WonderCon in the Bay Area.  Just speaking from the side of a comic book collector. I go to "comic cons" to see and buy comic books. When the actual comic dealers are one of the smallest parts of a "comic con" I find it more than a bit disappointing. 

The weekend probably has a lot to do with it. I don't see Terry O'Neil at either the LB or SF show. I don't see A-1 or Ray Storch at the SF show. All great comic dealers that I would spend a lot of money with. Why? 

At least the guest list looks OK in SF if you are there to get books signed and graded for resale. At LB they have...Capt Kirk... Probably another couple hundred bucks for the "opportunity" to have him sign something and smile at your cell phone. 

Neither are shows for me. I have received several PMs from CA comic collecting boardies in both areas who are skipping these shows. I wish both promoters luck and hope that attendees have a good time. 

By the way, I am using a cell phone and was clicking the link at the top of this page to see the exhibitor list. That aside, from a graphic designers opinion, the SF website is beautiful! Give my compliments to the web designer!

Tend to agree that it's lacking in dealers, but as a comic book fan, the creator lineup is one of the best I've seen and I plan to get as many commissions as possible! Arthur Adams, Neal Adams, Mark Brooks, Clayton Crain, Mike McKone, Josh Middleton, Rags Morales, Mike Perkins, Sienkiewicz, Bruce Timm, just to name a few. 

Also, if anyone is still interested in attending our private comic book trade party on Saturday, there are only a couple tickets left. We've got about a dozen people bringing comics to sell and trade, so if you don't like what you see in the expo hall, then come hang out with other collectors (including some boardies) across the street at Jillian's! We'll be swapping comics from 6-9pm on Saturday. I posted about it in the events forum, or you can just DM me.

So happy to have a show back in the bay-area.  However, SF goes and screws it up like always: the bay bridge will have partial closures and Bart is going to shut down a full section line in the Oakland area.

7 hours ago, Yorick said:

So happy to have a show back in the bay-area.  However, SF goes and screws it up like always: the bay bridge will have partial closures and Bart is going to shut down a full section line in the Oakland area.

Haha, would you settle for 95 degree temps instead!

I'm going to roll through later today to check it out.  I went last year and it was super fun.  Not a lot of GA books and when found, big books priced way over gpa.  I've got a stack of books I'm dropping off for CGC grading that's always convenient.  Everything I get these days seems like something slabbed from clink, ha etc so it's cool to handle some raw books.

Just swung by the con real quick during my lunch break to drop my sketchbook off for a commission, but I will say it's nice to have a con back in San Francisco. It may not be WonderCon but it's better than the alternative, which is nothing. 

Wish there were more comic book dealers, but the artist lineup is killer! 

23 hours ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

Neal Adams looks to be in a good mood, btw. My #1 comics creator of all time!

Was there a lot of key Golden-age or key Marvel 1s FF-1 Hulk 1 Fantasy 15 still 50/50 if I should go. I want to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on high dollor books that are not over priced let me know Thanks(thumbsu

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

Was there a lot of key Golden-age or key Marvel 1s FF-1 Hulk 1 Fantasy 15 still 50/50 if I should go. I want to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on high dollor books that are not over priced let me know Thanks(thumbsu

A lot?  No.  But Bunky Brothers had a real nice AF15 2.0 with no MC that I think was priced competitively.

Oh, I know I said this to Stephen (King of Rulers) directly but publicly I also want to give kudos to the organizers KOR and Tupenny for putting comics and comic dealers front and center at this show.

Yes, there is a lot of cosplay and other geek things to do, but the Bronze Age Batcave booth and our booth were the first things people saw, after walking through the gateway with all the classic comic images. Nice guest list too.

Edited by HouseofComics.Com

On 8/31/2017 at 7:53 PM, HouseofComics.Com said:

Haha, would you settle for 95 degree temps instead!

It hit 101 degrees in San Fran and 105 degrees in San Bernardino couple of days ago. Heatwave on the Westcoast all the way north to Vancouver, BC. :x Glad you had a good con sales wise.

Had an awesome time at the con! Went a little overboard on buying comics and went way over my budget with the Bunky Bros. Oops (:

Also hosted a comic swap party after the con on Saturday that sold out - had 23 people attend! A couple boardies, some from the Instagram community and other Bay Area collectors. There was some good variety in books that people brought, and a lot of trades went down, as well as some sales. Tons of fun - just hanging out, having drinks, shooting some pool, and talking & swapping comics of course. Everyone had a fun time :)

There are so many collectors in the Bay Area and I'd love to meet them all. Many couldn't make it to this event, but I'll likely be hosting another one in the future. Maybe around SVCC? 

[that's me in the Doctor Strange t-shirt]

DSC00515.JPG

DSC00518.JPG

DSC00523.JPG

DSC00524.JPG

DSC00528.JPG

DSC00529.JPG

DSC00531.JPG

DSC00534.JPG

DSC00536.JPG

DSC00537.JPG