• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many is too many "grails"?
1 1

76 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm sorry but i have to argue against this "cornerstone" concept:)

A cornerstone can only apply to art you already own. The entire meaning of the word is that its part of the core foundation of something that already exists. You don't say "here's my list of wanted cornerstones". Nobody builds a house and then goes cornerstone shopping!

The word grail is often used to indicate something wanted as much as something owned. "That piece is my grail I want above all others. Bob has my grail. That's a grail-like piece. My grail is listed on Heritage." 

It sounds silly to say "That piece is my cornerstone I want above all others. Bob has my cornerstone. My cornerstone is listed on Heritage". The only one that could fly is "That's a cornerstone-like piece".

:)

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

Posted within the Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches section, of the statue website :foryou: 

Then you've got the comic book art trademark as it applies to grail like cornerstone statues. 

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Sorry, that trademark was taken years ago.  Just doing a search for "cornerstone" in my e-mail account, I see that I've been using the term, as it pertains to the hobby, on a regular basis since at least October 2010.  I've definitely used it on the Boards and on CAF over the years as well.

Presently retaining an IP attorney for trademark infringement. :baiting: 

Got you beat. Used "cornerstone" on these boards in Feb 2008 (posted Feb 12, 2008 in this thread):

Re: "Grail"...the term has been grossly overused and lost all meaning. Count me among the guilty. Time to retire it.

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

I think it's cool how you posted in the voice of one of the Mario brothers in that post. 

"...those a collection cornerstone pieces for sure. 

It's got a real old world charm. 

Edited by comix4fun

Grailstone.

Not quite a grail, more valuable than any single cornerstone. Plus, it's never been used on a statue forum or in an email by a thinking adult (with at least a grade school education) so there are no trademark issues.

Me, I'm still looking for my grailstone.

5 minutes ago, Hal Turner said:

Grailstone.

Not quite a grail, more valuable than any single cornerstone. Plus, it's never been used on a statue forum or in an email by a thinking adult (with at least a grade school education) so there are no trademark issues.

Me, I'm still looking for my grailstone.

And if you get five of them together you can mount the grailstones into some kind of glove or gauntlet, and control the art universe.

14 minutes ago, thethedew said:

Only five?  You rebel!

I was trying to stick with the Gauntlet theme. 

However... hm

You could go with 10 and make a matching pair of mittens. :idea:

I've never cared for the word in the context of collecting, dislike it's overuse and believe it to be a phantom quest in any collecting category.

As a sideline comment, in another area of collecting I frequent, there is a "pinnacle" or "apex" piece which seemed to be in the hands of someone who never felt welcome. His attempts at showcasing the piece during his ownership were deemed as "whoring" it around, even though he held it for 16 years. I've seen numerous examples of high caliber pieces change hands in less than a year after someone announced from the rooftops it was a "grail purchase", yet no disdain or negativity towards these serial flippers. The old guard and/or those deemed as "experts" took every opportunity to rip into the piece, but interestingly when the piece changed hands late last year, all that noise quieted down. Because I assisted with the ownership transfer I knew both the old and new owner, and even though it hasn't been made public who that new owners is, I'd qualify the above statements to say that it appears that it matters who owns a pinnacle piece. The more community "influencers" deem the worthiness of ownership based on whether it's held by someone they know or blow, the more likely factors of "group think" and "herd mentality" will drive people away, and/or cause collectors to lose their shirt.

Edited by comicwiz

23 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

...it appears that it matters who owns a pinnacle piece. The more community "influencers" deem the worthiness of ownership based on whether it's held by someone they know or blow, the more likely factors of "group think" and "herd mentality" will drive people away, and/or cause collectors to lose their shirt.

Exceptional insight there comicwhiz. Thank you for sharing.

Every year I'm surprised at the new heights (err lengths?) the collective dique-measuring has risen to. And then a new year and a new highwater mark soon achieved. Though some of it is just good clean pride of ownership, typically the guys that have been around for years attaining things that were once thought impossible (for financial or other reasons), there is a new growing (heh) element being drawn in as more record single auction numbers and overall sale numbers too are hammered. Those guys I can do without but the endless one-upping bs is a chuckle and half for sure. All day long. Even better when they subsequently lose their shirt on the flip ;)

4 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Chris loses nerd-points on that one.

I had too many on my ledger already. It's a bit of a relief actually. 

9 hours ago, thethedew said:

...and I was trying to be pedantic by obliquely pointing out there are 6 gems on The Gauntlet.
:baiting:

Said in his best Sheldon Cooper voice. lol