• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jay Disbrow RIP
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Jay Disbrow RIP

I just read today that GA artist Jay Disbrow just passed away at 91. One of those quirky, cool artists that did a lot of my favorite genre, pre code horror. He was often overlooked because a lot of the books he appeared in had L.B. Cole covers which seemed to get all the love. Such a great unique style.

RIP Mr. Disbrow...

This kind of non descript crime book had one of my favorite Disbrow stories. The final page is epic!

comcrimedetector5a_zpsfgkwvpaj.jpg

comcrimedetector5b_zpswmikuxvg.jpg

24 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Jay Disbrow RIP

I just read today that GA artist Jay Disbrow just passed away at 91. One of those quirky, cool artists that did a lot of my favorite genre, pre code horror. He was often overlooked because a lot of the books he appeared in had L.B. Cole covers which seemed to get all the love. Such a great unique style.

RIP Mr. Disbrow...

This kind of non descript crime book had one of my favorite Disbrow stories. The final page is epic!

comcrimedetector5a_zpsfgkwvpaj.jpg

comcrimedetector5b_zpswmikuxvg.jpg

A real gentleman.  I had the pleasure to meet him way back when.  I think I have a sketch he did for me laying around somewhere.  Sad to hear of his passing. 

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

One of my favorite splash pages from BBW 114, thanks for all the art Jay! :angel:

IMG_4427.JPG

That's some devilishly genius artwork, there!  :devil:(thumbsu

Definitely an unsung talent, as both artist and writer.  Interestingly his bio on Lambiek is much longer than LB Cole's... 

Here's another awesome page of his (BBWTOT #115), courtesy of the Lambiek website:

disbrow_bbwt115.thumb.jpg.0619ef3251aacc2b4a14f90186807f1c.jpg