• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin hates CGC!
3 3

819 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

Outside looking in, it doesn't appear that talent relations has been a big priority for CGC in the last few years.  This very subject has been broached many times here on the boards with the suggestion that CGC actively get ahead of this trend.  The suggestions seem to have fallen on deaf ears.  From the looks of things, it seemed that the rise of their competition, rolling out new cases, and reducing turnaround times ate up so much of their time in the last few years that talent relations was deemed unimportant.  Moving forward, it'll be a game of catch-up. 

Not only that, but the Yellow label originally was intended to be a tentpole to keep modern submissions rolling in, and the CPR game has taken up more slack than anyone could have ever envisioned, so there is not as much incentive to work on the SS system.

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

Outside looking in, it doesn't appear that talent relations has been a big priority for CGC in the last few years.  This very subject has been broached many times here on the boards with the suggestion that CGC actively get ahead of this trend.  The suggestions seem to have fallen on deaf ears.  From the looks of things, it seemed that the rise of their competition, rolling out new cases, and reducing turnaround times ate up so much of their time in the last few years that talent relations was deemed unimportant.  Moving forward, it'll be a game of catch-up. 

That's a good point. And all I would add to what you said is that with eyes fixed on divide and conquer battles, from everything between the way the competition encapsulated and labelled books, right through to lopping them at the legs by working exclusive deals with show organizers, it probably caused the talent relations side to be neglected. Ironically, it now seems to be tying back into all those areas of concentrated pursuit to keep the competition at bay. With only one offering verified signatures, there's still an option for those that would just rather avoid the drama, get their books signed without all the negativity around monetizing autographs.

46 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Not only that, but the Yellow label originally was intended to be a tentpole to keep modern submissions rolling in, and the CPR game has taken up more slack than anyone could have ever envisioned, so there is not as much incentive to work on the SS system.

Hasn't the flood of modern variants being slabbed outpaced the yellow labels?  Sure feels that way.

Edited by Lucky Baru

9 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

18 hours ago, kav said:

Typical Gower 'gotcha' moment.  He knows damn well the thread was deleted.  Someone started a 'what happened to Kav' thread and RMA popped up to tell what a miscreant I was and how selfish it was for me to send people free art.  

Wait.... so the 'RMA attacked me constantly with his 'anti Kav agenda', all happened in just ONE thread. Holy hyperbole!

Several boardies scolded him for derailing a thread posted in concern over what happened to me.  Everyone that saw it, saw it.  

In just.... that ONE thread....

Matter of fact it was his accusations that got me to start posting again.  

Damn him! He's like Thanos, he just doesn't know when he's won!

Then i started deleting my comments.  He went after me for that and the rest is history.

So he brought up a point and discussed it in ONE thread.

Then you responded, but DELETED your responses and he said, "You deleted your responses."

And that equates to 'RMA attacked me constantly with his 'anti Kav agenda'

Dang dude... that's some thin skin, for a Super Troll to have.

Settle down Beavis.

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

He's not someone one strike away from being banned.

So, ya know.. there's actually a fair debate involved. 

What does that have to do with putting someone on ignore who obviously is upsetting you?

RMA has posted more in this thread than he has in a long time, he seems capable of defending himself 2c

3 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

Hasn't the flood of modern variants being slabbed outpaced the yellow labels?  Sure feels that way.

It seems like a lot of modern variants are cranked through every month, but I don't know which is a larger portion of modern subs. I would think it was blue label.

27 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

What does that have to do with putting someone on ignore who obviously is upsetting you?

He IS on ignore. av can talk about whatever he wants, I couldn't care less. I don't see it. 

But when he directs his trolling at me or one of my friends, and someone messages me about it, I may choose to respond.

I'm certainly not all upset about what he believes in.... far as I can tell, most of his beliefs sways back and forth between whatever way the 'CGC community' goes.

Even his trolling, which he goes back and deletes.. if it wasn't pointed out to me, and aimed at me, I wouldn't even be aware of it.

27 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

RMA has posted more in this thread than he has in a long time, he seems capable of defending himself 2c

RMA is one incident away from being banned for life. av is protected from even getting a warning.

RMA isn't directing his posts at you. av IS directing his at me.

I just don't see it as the same thing.

I know there's the 'other' board to contend with and what has been said there, but then...

You would certainly be more than capable of defending yourself there, right?

4 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

He IS on ignore. av can talk about whatever he wants, I couldn't care less. I don't see it. 

But when he directs his trolling at me or one of my friends, and someone messages me about it, I may choose to respond.

I'm certainly not all upset about what he believes in.... far as I can tell, most of his beliefs sways back and forth between whatever way the 'CGC community' goes.

Even his trolling, which he goes back and deletes.. if it wasn't pointed out to me, and aimed at me, I wouldn't even be aware of it.

RMA is one incident away from being banned for life. av is protected from even getting a warning.

RMA isn't directing his posts at you. av IS directing his at me.

I just don't see it as the same thing.

I know there's the 'other' board to contend with and what has been said there, but then...

You would certainly be more than capable of defending yourself there, right?

It's nice to know where you stand on this. 

Thank you

3 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

av can talk about whatever he wants

04.jpg

Just now, Chuck Gower said:

Where I stand on it, is that it sucks to have two people I consider to be friends, have as ugly a disagreement as you two have.

I guess you don't have to worry about that anymore now. 2c

And we wonder why Starlin hates us and wants to keep us out of his line.  I'd hate to see how much you guys would argue over something we could actually change.

9 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

And we wonder why Starlin hates us and wants to keep us out of his line.  I'd hate to see how much you guys would argue over something we could actually change.

Who is us? I don't get books SS'ed, he'd be perfectly fine signing my raw books :cloud9:

13 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'll be signing comics for free in SDCC, WW Chicago and Baltimore

The funniest thing about this is that the only issue with Starlin and SS for all the years prior to this is that Starlin stated that he has a bad reaction, possibly some type of allergy, to a component of Silver Sharpies. So you had to deal with black signatures, sometimes on black backgrounds.  So everyone kind of knew to work around that.  Other than that, he was just a moderately sought after SS guy. His older stuff is well loved, but his demand was nowhere near most of the prolific and popular modern guys.  I sure do hope that someday cooler heads can prevail, and everyone can work together.