• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just REALLY REALLY.....

59 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Wanted for theft and murder! xD

The villain in that book can change shapes and imitated Neron Man and did a jewelry store robbery and killed the store owner all in an effort to have the only hero that could possibly stop him be out of the picture.

13 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I started to draw when I was around 3 years old. I was drawing things I saw and experienced. My Mom had a drawing I did of my dog pulling me on a sleigh, stuff like that.

We lived on a farm, and one day my Dad told me we were going shopping in the city. In those days, if you wanted to buy Rye bread and lunch meats you had to go to a bakery and a meat shop you couldn't buy it at the super-market type stores.

Anyways, once Dad had arrived at the baker to buy his rye bread, he reached into his pocket and handed me a bunch of change. He pointed at the used book store across the street named Paul's Book Store and told me to go buy some comics. He just wanted me out of his hair while he did his thing.

Inside Paul's store, he had shelves with piles of comics on them that he sold for 1/2 cover price or you could trade 2 for one.

I didn't have a lot of money but I had enough to buy 10 or so. While I don't remember exactly what books I picked I do know one of them was Fantastic Four 112.

After reading the comics I became very excited to try to draw these characters I was reading about. Eventually I started creating my own comics, mostly of my own characters.

My Dad even bought me a stapler designed to staple extra long paper/ documents so I could staple in the middle and then fold the paper ( just like the way comics were made! Also because the ones I made were falling apart and my Dad said you should never put tape on a comic. )

Some early stuff:

Book13.jpg

Book14.jpg

Then my own character creations ( as a side note: while Neron Man resembles Nova he was created a few years before Marvel released Nova )

NeronMan1.jpg

NeronMan2.jpg

NeronMan3.jpg

NeronMan4.jpg

NeronMan5.jpg

NeronMan5page4.jpg

NeronMan5page5.jpg

NeronMan6.jpg

NeronMan7.jpg

NeronMan8.jpg

The character fighting Neron Man is called the Mercenary. He came from a Mego creation/mutilation of putting Spiderman's head on a Green Goblin body!

NeronMan9.jpg

NeronMan10.jpg

ForceFive1.jpg

TheDefender1.jpg

The Defender was created in 1980, I was 15 at that time and it was the last comic I made in my youth, high school was approaching and interests were changing. Before I went to High School I had continued to collect comics using money I earned from a paper route and I had a complete Hulk collection. 1-6, all the Tales to Astonish, and 102- whatever the current issue was + everything he appeared in. I really liked the big green guy in the Fantastic Four 112 I had bought and decided to collect his comics.

I like comics, because they have truly been a part of who I am.

Awesome, Karl!!! :headbang: 

8 hours ago, Artboy99 said:
13 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Wanted for theft and murder! xD

The villain in that book can change shapes and imitated Neron Man and did a jewelry store robbery and killed the store owner all in an effort to have the only hero that could possibly stop him be out of the picture.

Cool. I just liked the way that murder was secondary to theft! 

I shared some of my cartoons with Jim and Ryan by PM - I did them as a teenager and they're too rude to publish on line. Would you like to see them? I don't want to offend you, but they're horrific @Artboy99 :eek:

16 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I shared some of my cartoons with Jim and Ryan by PM - I did them as a teenager and they're too rude to publish on line. Would you like to see them? I don't want to offend you, but they're horrific @Artboy99 :eek:

They're very well done and hilarious to boot! I would strongly recommend you have a look Karl. 

2 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Sure!

44 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:
3 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Sure!

OK, I'll dig them out and PM them across shortly. Jimmers and Foley liked them, but they've got (gloriously) twisted minds :insane::insane:

16 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I think every city has a Chinatown.

Even Manchester, England.

Although, recently I've found a place here which does very tasty, spicy Vietnamese noodle soup.

Anyway, we're quite cosmopolitan now, despite our reputation for being unsophisticated barbarians.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Although, recently I've found a place here which does very tasty, spicy Vietnamese noodle soup.

Anyway, we're quite cosmopolitan now, despite our reputation for being unsophisticated barbarians.

Barbarians?Joy Division,Buzzcocks,Morrissey...NEVER!

As a kid, I always enjoyed them.  In addition to my small stack of Bronze Age, my Uncle gave me a large box back in the early 1980's (mostly current stuff at the time, he was reading them while earning his Graduate degree - I know he had time? :screwy:).   

Anyway, I can't draw.  I can't draw a stick figure, a decent circle, or a crooked line.  What I see artists do on a regular basis with a piece of paper and pencil just blows my mind.  I have a lot of respect for anybody that can draw, especially in the comic book medium.   That is why I love them, and keep up with them to this day. 

4 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Barbarians?Joy Division,Buzzcocks,Morrissey...NEVER!

Yup, great bands.  Manchester was a miserable place in the 70s and 80s, and so it's amazing that we've given the world so much happy, uplifting music. :baiting:

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/20/2017 at 5:46 PM, thehumantorch said:
On 5/20/2017 at 5:42 PM, Artboy99 said:

One is closer to you than the other is all. Come on, I painted it for my Mom!

I don't know, kinda has that Rifle Man 10 feel to it.  

Perspective aside-- and yes, I feel it is obvious the dolphins are yards apart -- even if they were touching, anyone with any idea about dolphin anatomy would know that is not how they engage in coitus.

11 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:
On 5/20/2017 at 3:20 PM, porcupine48 said:

I think every city has a Chinatown.

You know Vietnamese soup isn't Chinese.....:baiting:

I love a spicy bowl of beef saute soup.

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

Hey,most of "Chinatown" here is now Vietnamese..or Korean.

Now that you say it, the modern Chinatown seems to be the universities. I was there the other day and at moments all I could here was Chinese. Pretty neat that they come all the ay here for university, seems over the top though.