• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

I'm up to Season 6, Episode 6.

This season has slogged at times. Found myself looking at my phone during the last 4 episodes, bored during some scenes that stretch for too long or that seem totally unimportant to the story. I love character-driven moments, but they have to be 'short and sweet'; I can't stand too much filler. On the opposite side of the 'room to breathe' spectrum; Some parts escalate much too quickly. Like when Bran incidentally summoned the Night King and his horde. It just happened so unbelievably fast.

It's too bad that Arya betrayed A Man. The Many-Faced God stuff is some of the most interesting, right now. I'm kind of bored with Jon, Sansa, The Lannisters, Grayjoy, etc. I just want Daenerys and Tyrion to conquer Westeros already.

On 10/4/2022 at 10:05 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm up to Season 6, Episode 6.

This season has slogged at times. Found myself looking at my phone during the last 4 episodes, bored during some scenes that stretch for too long or that seem totally unimportant to the story. I love character-driven moments, but they have to be 'short and sweet'; I can't stand too much filler. On the opposite side of the 'room to breathe' spectrum; Some parts escalate much too quickly. Like when Bran incidentally summoned the Night King and his horde. It just happened so unbelievably fast.

It's too bad that Arya betrayed A Man. The Many-Faced God stuff is some of the most interesting, right now. I'm kind of bored with Jon, Sansa, The Lannisters, Grayjoy, etc. I just want Daenerys and Tyrion to conquer Westeros already.

Episode 9 of S6 is pretty awesome, I’m sure you will like that. And actually Episode 7 of S6 has one of the best cold open scenes of the series imo. 

Edited by bentbryan

On 9/28/2022 at 7:54 AM, Bosco685 said:

It's not complete trash as some would lead you to believe. But it is very rushed.

With the two producers landing the next Star Wars movie franchise for Disney, it appears they wanted to wrap up GoT and move on. Even though GRRM had begged them to make it 10 seasons.

So that you may experience after all that wonderful building to an incredible show.

The things that happened in season 8 were all plausible (except the quick demise of the northern threat).  They just decided to skip all the steps needed to get there and have it make sense, resulting in confusing/rushed storylines, and inconsistent characterizations. The show became driven by events, and not characters like it was for the first 6 seasons.

It really needed those additional 25 or so episodes to fully earn and justify the ending.

On 10/4/2022 at 2:11 PM, drotto said:

The things that happened in season 8 were all plausible (except the quick demise of the northern threat).  They just decided to skip all the steps needed to get there and have it make sense, resulting in confusing/rushed storylines, and inconsistent characterizations. The show became driven by events, and not characters like it was for the first 6 seasons.

It really needed those additional 25 or so episodes to fully earn and justify the ending.

Agreed!

Whomever it was at HBO that oversaw those two showrunners really should have brought down the purse strings axe and made it clear someone was going to keep the story going. Not make it all about that duo being the only producers that could keep it going or else end it.

On 10/4/2022 at 2:52 PM, Bosco685 said:

Agreed!

Whomever it was at HBO that oversaw those two showrunners really should have brought down the purse strings axe and made it clear someone was going to keep the story going. Not make it all about that duo being the only producers that could keep it going or else end it.

HBO should have parted ways with the showrunners after season 6 when they started to request that seasons 7 and 8 would be shorter and also be the last.  They should also have given some control back to JRR Martin, so some of the narrative gaps could be filled in with his vision and not theirs.

By all reports, HBO was more than willing to give the show at least 20 more episodes.  Not sure why they were so reluctant to change showrunners, or think they were the only ones who could do the job. The conspicuous silence from the showrunners, their inability to land another show, and the cancelation of the Star Wars project, shows Hollywood has lost faith in them following the GoT fallout. 

Edited by drotto

I think that a very large portion of the blame should fall on GRRM. He did not hold up his end of the bargain to finish the dang books before the show caught up with them. Pretty much where they pass the written source material it starts to degrade.  I agree the showrunners didn’t do a good job but Benioff and Weiss signed up to adapt Martin’s story, not write it for him. :preach:

Edited by bentbryan

On 10/4/2022 at 7:15 PM, bentbryan said:

I think that a very large portion of the blame should fall on GRRM. He did not hold up his end of the bargain to finish the dang books before the show caught up with them. Pretty much where they pass the written source material it starts to degrade.  I agree the showrunners didn’t do a good job but Benioff and Weiss signed up to adapt Martin’s story, not write it for him. :preach:

No argument there.  I do wonder if HBO could have pushed him on the book front also.

I'm up through S6E9 (giggity) now. The latter episodes of this season have (more or less) made up for the mid-season slog. Stuff is actually happening! I'm expecting a great finale to suck me into S7.

My liquid critic score has dropped to 4/5 because of the downs, which didn't feel present in the first 5 seasons, but I was very satisfied with the battle music in S6.

On 10/5/2022 at 8:31 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm up through S6E9 (giggity) now. The latter episodes of this season have (more or less) made up for the mid-season slog. Stuff is actually happening! I'm expecting a great finale to suck me into S7.

My liquid critic score has dropped to 4/5 because of the downs, which didn't feel present in the first 5 seasons, but I was very satisfied with the battle music in S6.

The Dorne plot in season six is an abomination compared to what happens in the books.

On 10/14/2022 at 8:33 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

That finale is the worst episode of television I have ever seen. I thought that people simply "didn't like it", I never considered that it's objectively bad. I am at a loss of words.

It was the cherry on top of the steaming turd that was the final season.  

On 10/14/2022 at 8:33 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

That finale is the worst episode of television I have ever seen. I thought that people simply "didn't like it", I never considered that it's objectively bad. I am at a loss of words.

It wasn’t good! Told ya haha!

In this new video, I will be talking about George R.R. Martin's new announcement regarding The Winds of Winter release date. In a shocking new announcement, George R.R. Martin says he is still 500 pages away from finishing the Winds of Winter. At this point, it seems like he will never release this book. After working on the Winds of Winter for well over a decade, he's only 75% done. At this rate, it may take another 3-4 years before the Winds of Winter officially releases. 

:eyeroll:

On 1/18/2023 at 6:23 AM, bentbryan said:

By far and away my favorite actor on the show and a perfect casting choice.   I’m not at all surprised about his reaction to the shows ending.  

Yup. During one of the middle-seasons I texted my brother than Tywin and Tyrion were probably my favorite characters.