• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2,373 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I was wondering how long Jon Snow was under the water. So either this is another show timeline mess-up, or the article may be on to something.

Did You Spot This Huge 'Game Of Thrones' Jon Snow Hint?

b0a602087eae47682e474b61034445ce.cf.webp

Look again at the scene in episode six where Jon is dragged down into the freezing waters of the lake by the army of wights. He misses the last flight out of town, everyone thinks he's done for and Daenerys and the remainder of the Magnificent Seven all flee the scene on dragonback.

When we cut back, seemingly moments later, Jon pops back up out of the lake, grabs LongClaw and is about to make his last, solitary stand when Uncle Benjen rides to the rescue.

But is that what happened?

When Jon emerges from the lake, the wights have cleared the field. They're on their way to have some well-earned ice lollies and a rub down. How long does it take an army to depart a frozen lake? An hour? Maybe a well-disciplined army could do it in half that. Maybe an army of dead people controlled by a single intelligence could do it in even less.

That means Jon was underwater for twice as long as any normal human being. Yes, free divers with years of training and preparatory hyperventilation can go for 22 minutes in nice, warm water, wearing Speedos. Jon was in a frozen lake wearing forty pounds of leather, iron and fur.

Here's our point: if the show-runners intended to hint at what we're inferring from the scene, then Jon is either immortal or has a particular superpower.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was 'blessed' to some extent, but there's a few somewhat plausible explanations related to his resistance to cold and his ability to hold his breath.

1.  While the people GOT look more or less like 'humans', there's no reason that there couldn't be some additional (if minor) physiological differences, especially given the mystical elements of the show that seem to be at least somewhat related to genetics - warging, blood of the king, resistance to fire.  There could be other minor differences, like bigger lung capacity, a little more resistance to temperatures.

2.  Especially with distinct geographical or family areas, there has likely been inbreeding (or near inbreeding) that leads to extreme versions of some traits.  In the North, that almost certainly means resistance to cold, especially since they are more than likely a different race than the rest of Westeros.  In the case of Targaryans, that seems to mean potential resistance to fire.  Think of the Tibetans, who have shown to on average have bigger more resilient lungs from living at high altitudes for thousands of years.  If you're lucky, you get might get all of the best traits.  The mix of heat and cold resistance may have made Jon much more resilient to extreme temperatures in general.

3.  Aside from the genetics, Jon grew up in the cold, a lifetime of living in the cold certainly makes you more resilient.  And who knows, maybe ice swimming is a common pastime in Winterfell.  Or maybe the Winterfell soldiers or Nightswatch do icy water training.

4.  Aside from being stabbed 8(?) times and being resurrected he's been a soldier for the past 10 years and is likely at the peak of his physical condition (mid-to-late 20's), so if he was ever going to survive, it would be now.

5.  Its also possible that you could find areas below the surface of ice that are thinner that might have air pockets or cracks where you could find air pockets and sustain yourself potentially for a while.  Or maybe even sneak up for a quick breath in the original entry area, assuming the zombies weren't waiting for him there.  This of course seems tough when you're freezing and wearing all your furs. 

6.  Adrenaline on occasion allows people to do crazy crazy stuff.

I don't think he's immortal, I just think its all the stuff above mixed with being really tough to kill, incredible focused willpower and determination.  But he might be immortal or it might be magic.  I'm just saying its not soooo implausible that its not.

‘Game of Thrones': HBO Confirms Final Season Will Air in 2019

HBO is being incredible sardonic in a new press release about the return of Game of Thrones. “Your readers may be interested to know,” it begins, which is really the biggest possible understatement. The network is confirming what Sophie Turner spilled the beans on last month, which is that Game of Thrones‘ six-episode eighth and final season will premiere in 2019.

What we still do not know is when exactly in 2019 the series will arrive. Traditionally Game of Thrones has aired in the springtime, but it moved farther into summer this in 2017. Anything is possible, including the idea that their Watchman series, Game of Thrones, and Westworld could all air in 2019. Maybe.

HBO's approach to this baffles me.  Why not pause the series two or three years ago once they had exhausted Martin's released material and spin off into areas we already know Martin will never delve into due to the slow pace at which he releases material and due to his advanced age?  There's plenty of killer material alluded to throughout the books that they could have put on screen that could easily take a decade or more to fully develop.  The rise of the Targeryens back when they had dragons could probably fill as many seasons as you wanted it to.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 9/5/2017 at 12:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

I was wondering how long Jon Snow was under the water. So either this is another show timeline mess-up, or the article may be on to something.

Did You Spot This Huge 'Game Of Thrones' Jon Snow Hint?

b0a602087eae47682e474b61034445ce.cf.webp

I think it's just another "timeline messup" just like what happened when they sent Gentry running back to the wall and suddenly Daenerys shows up with Drogon from half a world away.

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

HBO's approach to this baffles me.  Why not pause the series two or three years ago once they had exhausted Martin's released material and spin off into areas we already know Martin will never delve into due to the slow pace at which he releases material and due to his advanced age?  There's plenty of killer material alluded to throughout the books that they could have put on screen that could easily take a decade or more to fully develop.  The rise of the Targeryens back when they had dragons could probably fill as many seasons as you wanted it to.

I think they did the right thing by forging ahead:

1) Martin has been taking forever to release the final books in the series and HBO and audiences are not going to wait 10+ years for the end of the story.  This is television, not books.

2) The actors and actresses are going to age and they are not going to wait around for years waiting for a paycheck. 

3) George R.R. Martin is 69.  He won't live forever and there is a good chance he will never finish the book series anyway.  After The Winds of Winter is A Dream of Spring.  If Winds of Winter is released this year (I'm not holding my breath) that will have been 7 years since the last book.

4) HBO made a choice to not use all the character, situations, etc. from the books in the television series in the first place and they probably had a good reason.  Whether it is because of budget, they don't feel the material was compelling enough, etc. why would they use it now if they didn't feel they should use it in the first place?

Here is how long it took between previous books:

- A Game of Thrones (1996)

- A Clash of Kings (1998) (2 years)

- A Storm of Swords (2000) (2 years)

- A Feast of Crows (2005) (5 years)

- A Dance with Dragons (2011) (6 years)

Season 1 of Games of Thrones was released in 2011 when the last book was released.  HBO had been working on the series since the end of 2008.  There was plenty of time for Martin to have written the remaining books and have the HBO series follow his work.  Let's face it, Martin could have gotten ahead of all this in the years it took the series to be released.  It was his choice to work on other books and not these.  We also do not know what is in the contract HBO has with Martin.

Regardless of how Martin finishes the series, assuming he does, because he waited, fans are going to be comparing what happened in the television series to what he put in the books instead of the other way around.  That means his work is what will be scrutinized instead of the show.  Honestly, that isn't a position I'd want to be in as a writer.

57 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

It's been that long since the last season aired I might need to watch it all over again

My wife and I rewatched the entire series several weeks ago.  To my surprise it was just as good as you cannot remember it all and some scenes I totally forgot about.  I actually got a little more out of it.  We really enjoyed it the 2nd time around. 
Can't wait for this last season.  Should be awesome.

I'm going to be shocked if Bran ISN'T the Night King.  The facial similarities are just so great that I'll be needing an excellent explanation for why they look identical if they don't reveal that it's him.

Edited by fantastic_four

22 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

Does anyone think that the book series will simply end with an adaptation of the HBO storyline, maybe a few side-arcs to fill out the pages but nothing greatly changed?

Bingo!

And Martin can say the show delivered on his concept notes which outlined the book story all along. With a few changes for uniqueness.