• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider Man #30 - is it fake?

10 posts in this topic

Amazing Spider Man #30 - is it fake?

so I received an Amazing Spider Man #30 in a CGC graded slab along with 9 other comic books in a hit parade from a card dealer i buy from.  (They're a reputable large scale dealer as far as I know) The CGC sticker, font of the CGC paper and back of the paper tab of the grade is completely different from the other 9 books.  (all comics are in the 12-200 range of ASM's)  I also noticed that the thickness of the slab is different than the others, and that I could bend the side open on the slab to see into the case.   I'm assuming this is counterfeit but wanted to get the boards opinion as well.  

CGC Sticker.JPG

back of CGC paper.JPG

side opened.JPG

Those slabs open on the middle of the sides...it's the 4 corner posts that you want to make sure are intact.  BTW, ASM30 probably wouldn't be worth the effort to "fake" per se..if they were going to do it, they would likely pick a bigger key...

As others have said, the sides of the original CGC case - in use for 15-16 years - flex open. The slab are only sealed at the four corner posts. This is also how competitors slabs work. Sides can flex open. Collectors viewing CGC slabs for the first time are often concerned that the slab is bad or the book isn't authentic.  

The outer holder is only intended to keep the book from being damaged from mishandling. The inner holder does all the archival type protection. BTW, there are trade offs in everything. The new, Generation 2 holder is sealed along all the edges. But it is also far more difficult to safely remove the book from the holder if you decide you no longer want the book encapsulated. 

A few pictures I have used before to illustrate that the side flexing open is normal. 

Gap in CGC slabs 1.jpg

gap in CGC slabs 2.jpg

3 hours ago, mfarmer408 said:

I learned a lot from the replies (I'm still fairly new in collecting) so Thank you to everyone that responded.   Here is a pic of the front since it was asked.  

lol I said the same thing back in the day with the 1st gen holder's, they looked too different to me as well. ;) yours is a 2nd gen holder, at least you asked questions and found out there were different cases and styles. I think I missed out on a deal at con because I was like, "whatch'a talkin about Willis?" with those first gen holders-----really threw me for a loop, they have different "stats" on the label for some books since CGC was just starting out....just fyi

I'd post a pick of a 1st gen but don't have one at the ready, maybe someone else would be good enough to post a pic? to avoid confusion.....

here is a link to what the 1st gen holder's looked like :) 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Lantern-1960-1988-1st-Series-DC-76-CGC-4-5-0112230015-/311880666566?hash=item489d894dc6:g:pawAAOSw3gJZJjjP

8 hours ago, mfarmer408 said:

I learned a lot from the replies (I'm still fairly new in collecting) so Thank you to everyone that responded.   Here is a pic of the front since it was asked.  

IMG_1054.JPG

The Real Deal! (thumbsu  Nice Book!