• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What got you hooked on comics?
1 1

115 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Comics taught patience too back in the day...some were bi-monthly, Mad only came out i think 9 times a year, FF was always "to be continued next month"  !!!!

Haha, excellent point!

Having limited funds and limited distribution points in my small town, I often missed the first or second part until I settled on the Rexall Drugs which seemed to get them on a regular uninterrupted basis. I managed to miss almost no issues for about 40-45 months in a row when I was a kid.

16 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:
1 hour ago, kav said:

Mine was similar but it was rock fights that lasted till someone got head busted.

Plus "king of the hill" 

And don't forget watching hot dogs.

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

explain

5 hours ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

Batman tv show reruns, Jules Feiffer's Great Comic Book Heroes, and Batman from the 30s to the 70s. Followed almost immediately by DC treasuries and DC Famous First Editions.

Pretty much all of the above for me too. I'd also have to add the 100 Page Super Spectaculars. I really loved GA stories as a kid. 

22 hours ago, Robot Man said:

SA Batman and DC war my dad gave me. Then buying Amazing Spider-Man #3 off the rack. All Marvels except Thor. Then I got my first MAD magazine. That was it. I had to have them all. I became a collector at that point searching out back issues until I completed the run. The rest is just history...

Incredible that you bought ASM 3 off the rack!

36 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Pretty much all of the above for me too. I'd also have to add the 100 Page Super Spectaculars. I really loved GA stories as a kid. 

I only had two, Tec 438 and a Tarzan, but read them relentlessly. Lucked into two 100-page OAAWs when I was about six years older. Read those a lot too.

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I still have fond memories of reading the issues featuring Stegron; 165 and 166.

Strange ones to be that way about, but I suspect it's also because they're the first issues I ever saw over here as imported American cent copies, shortly afterwards.

I did enjoy them, though.

I bought some Green lantern's from the $1 bin a while ago because they were some of the 1st comics I ever read

Nostalgia

They weren't the best stories but it was an instant flashback & I remembered enjoying them as a kid!

1 hour ago, kav said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

explain

Pay attention

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Pay attention

Sorry I was looking at apple pie

Just now, kav said:
5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Pay attention

Sorry I was looking at apple pie

I frequently watch those tarts strutting their stuff on the boardwalk as well.......,

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

I frequently watch those tarts strutting their stuff on the boardwalk as well.......,

slt3-cov.jpg

Just now, kav said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

slt3-cov.jpg

mmmm...., cinnamon...,

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

mmmm...., cinnamon...,

we call it Spice

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

The DC 100 pagers from 73 to 75 were the first American comics that I got really thrilled about as a kid, looking forward to the new arrivals each month. 

The first time I had an opportunity to read Golden Age material.

I was terribly disappointed when the format was discontinued.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

The DC 100 pagers from 73 to 75 were the first American comics that I got really thrilled about as a kid, looking forward to the new arrivals each month. 

they were great so much reading material

So was I. New comics were never the same to me after that. 

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

So was I.  New comics were never the same to me after that. That's when I started to gravitate towards back issue catalogs. I couldn't afford any of the really great stuff(I was still in grammar school), but 80 Page Giants were still extremely inexpensive even in grade, so I would order one or two of them a month.