• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What got you hooked on comics?
1 1

115 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, comics4all said:

That cartoon was probably my introduction to Spider-man! 

3 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Brilliant wasn't it. A bit like the early comics. Crude, but full of charm. :cloud9:

The first super-hero cartoon I recall watching is The Impossibles, when I was around 3 years old.

I still remember all the shape changing and how interesting this super-hero stuff looked.

Definitely something that set me on the path.

3 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Brilliant wasn't it. A bit like the early comics. Crude, but full of charm. :cloud9:

Wasn't there an Xmen cartoon in the same time frame? Don't want to sound like a newbie, but I remember going to the library and checking out an Xmen cartoon that reminded me of say GSXM times with colossus and such it looked classic. While I enjoyed the early 90s cartoon, I always wondered why they never replayed older stuff. Same with the older spiderman I don't think I ever caught those in the 80s either... only Underdog and old superman...

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:
20 hours ago, comics4all said:

What got you hooked on comics?

What was the 1st comic you remember collecting?

What was the 1st comic or comic run that really got you hooked?

Nothing in particular got me hooked on comics as a kid , looking at comics was a natural as looking at girls, baseball, apple pie and hot dogs

Why were you looking at hot dogs?

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Wasn't there an Xmen cartoon in the same time frame? Don't want to sound like a newbie, but I remember going to the library and checking out an Xmen cartoon that reminded me of say GSXM times with colossus and such it looked classic. While I enjoyed the early 90s cartoon, I always wondered why they never replayed older stuff. Same with the older spiderman I don't think I ever caught those in the 80s either... only Underdog and old superman...

Too early for the New X-Men, I would've thought.

The Spider-Man cartoon was late 60s, not mid-to-late 70s.

As a kid, the cartoon, and the occasional Spider-man segment on The Electric Company got me into to superheroes, but my mom rarely let us buy comics because we bought football cards that were available at the grocery store and she didn't shop anywhere regularly that had comics.  We had maybe 5 or 6 comic books over several years (including a punisher first app, but that comic got read and lost before I hit double digits).

Then we moved to Africa for a couple years and met some friends who had been buying comics for a long time.  Even at 13, my friend was all about the cool story comics (the Nuke Daredevil story, the Marauders storyline).  I thought the giant metal dude (colossus) was cool.  I've always like the capable, yet underrated people.  Even in sports.

4 hours ago, Brian48 said:

I grew up with a black and white TV that had 3 channels on VHF and two local channels on UHF (you can look up what that means).  Other than baseball cards, comics were literally all I had as a kid for escapism. 

Exactly!  My life consisted of stick ball out on street staying out until the streetlights came on, and comic books.

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Exactly!  My life consisted of stick ball out on street staying out until the streetlights came on, and comic books.

Mine was similar but it was rock fights that lasted till someone got head busted.

4 hours ago, Brian48 said:

I grew up with a black and white TV that had 3 channels on VHF and two local channels on UHF (you can look up what that means).  Other than baseball cards, comics were literally all I had as a kid for escapism. 

Don't forget the rock fights against the bad kids....,

Just now, kav said:

Mine was similar but it was rock fights that lasted till someone got head busted.

Posted at the same time!

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I had to check up on stick ball.  It sounded to me a bit like our game, piggy, which uses just two pieces of wood, but it turns out that you were lucky enough back then to have an actual ball to play with.  

Just now, oakman29 said:
1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

Don't forget the rock fights against the bad kids....,

Hell I was the bad kid.:headbang:

I'll bet you were.

I was in the hospital for minor surgery and stayed in bed for a couple of days.  My mother bought me some comics to escape while in bed and one of them was Daredevil 184 No Mister Nice Guy cover with DD pointing a big magnum hand gun. lol

To think back my mom was really cool.  I got hooked from that point on. My brother and I along with a friend would attend conventions a few years later which helped fuel the addiction.

6 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Hell I was the bad kid.:headbang:

I was very disruptive.

13 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I had to check up on stick ball.  It sounded to me a bit like our game, piggy, which uses just two pieces of wood, but it turns out that you were lucky enough back then to have an actual ball to play with.  

two sticks!!!