• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What got you hooked on comics?
1 1

115 posts in this topic

Just now, oakman29 said:
11 minutes ago, kav said:

I got hooked trying to make money on comics

I got hooked when I was 5, and I tore up my brothers Amazing Spider Man comics.

That guy was an azzh@le

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I got hooked when I was 5, and I tore up my brothers Amazing Spider Man comics.

good man

What you did helped the collecting community-made AF15 more valuable.  One less copy.

Just now, oakman29 said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

That guy was an azzh@le

Right! I even tore up an AF 15 .:cry:

someone had to do it!  :sumo:

Just now, oakman29 said:

It was 1969 the summer of love,he was probably thinking about girls anyway.

see?  you pulled him out of his shell.  Win-win.

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

Yeah, that's the way I see it too!  ^^

You only had his best wishes at heart.  Really there is no greater gift you could have given him.

5 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Wasn't there an Xmen cartoon in the same time frame? Don't want to sound like a newbie, but I remember going to the library and checking out an Xmen cartoon that reminded me of say GSXM times with colossus and such it looked classic. While I enjoyed the early 90s cartoon, I always wondered why they never replayed older stuff. Same with the older spiderman I don't think I ever caught those in the 80s either... only Underdog and old superman...

I don't think we got an X-Men cartoon over here @ADAMANTIUM . I recall the Fantastic Four one, but the only thing I liked about that was the theme. Give me Dimentia 5 any day ?

screen02.jpg.d31877b0f2692131debe6a2ac1effb2c.jpg

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I still have fond memories of reading the issues featuring Stegron; 165 and 166.

Strange ones to be that way about, but I suspect it's also because they're the first issues I ever saw over here as imported American cent copies, shortly afterwards.

I did enjoy them, though.

I felt really bad for Stegron.

asm166_30.thumb.jpg.c131a299c0d371b043c0fa9418c8ea06.jpg

The stories were simple but they resonated. I wonder sometimes if modern comics are roo sophisticated for 8 year old brains. I could be wrong, kids seem to be adults at 5 nowadays, but I can't see them looking back on, say, the Superior Spider-Man when they're my age and thinking of it with affection.

5 hours ago, lizards2 said:
8 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Nothing in particular got me hooked on comics as a kid , looking at comics was a natural as looking at girls, baseball, apple pie and hot dogs

Why were you looking at hot dogs?

Because the girls were holding them :whistle:

I got myself hooked on comics.  I remember buying a Marvel Super-hero book with a 10 cent cover, it may have been FF #2, but I'm not positive.  The one I do remember buying is Avengers #4.  That one made me a true addict.  I still have the book, it is coverless and all tanned up, but I love it more than almost any other book I have.  :cloud9: