• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What got you hooked on comics?
1 1

115 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, toro said:

I got myself hooked on comics.  I remember buying a Marvel Super-hero book with a 10 cent cover, it may have been FF #2, but I'm not positive.  The one I do remember buying is Avengers #4.  That one made me a true addict.  I still have the book, it is coverless and all tanned up, but I love it more than almost any other book I have.  :cloud9: 

:headbang:

19 hours ago, toro said:

I got myself hooked on comics.  I remember buying a Marvel Super-hero book with a 10 cent cover, it may have been FF #2, but I'm not positive.  The one I do remember buying is Avengers #4.  That one made me a true addict.  I still have the book, it is coverless and all tanned up, but I love it more than almost any other book I have.  :cloud9: 

I have a very vivid memory of picking up a copy of the British black-and-white Avengers Weekly issue 1 on a bitingly cold day. I read the reintroduction of Captain America and thought it was just absolutely brilliant. I recall getting quite a buzz from that one, and another formative experience from the 73 - 74 period.

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 hours ago, toro said:

Those are 2 awesome 1st comics to read!

Nostalgia is hellauva drug! I still have some of those comics that I read to death too!

My first experience of U.S comics came while I was 5 years old and in hospital around 1965, an older boy had issue 55 of DC Showcase the one with Dr Fate fighting Solomon Grundy (Ito this day I've never read that issue). I was convinced that Grundy was the Frankenstein monster? long story short he refused to let me look at his comic and later that night I crept under the wards beds until I got to his locker. The stupid thing was locked and he woke up and I thought that he never saw me, I was wrong, the next morning when I was awoke for breakfast all my Lego buildings were wrecked, my first superhero battle and I lost big time. After that I turned to the British reprints Pow, Wow, Alan Class editions, Terrific then on to Fantastic and finally the weekly issues were I was a founding F.O.O.M member (I still have my card in the attic). As for the U.S editions I considered the Marvel issues not Worth??? the money as they were continued next issue I instead bought the giant size DC the ones were Batman was rainbow coloured or Superman was an ape those ones because they had full stories and more value for money (hey I was a kid what did I know).       

It's a shame you didn't pick up this 100 pager...

100304_20071113115101_large.jpg

Showcase 55 is one of my favourite Silver Age DCs.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 hours ago, comics4all said:

what an awesome start to comics!

Thanks.  A daughter of my mom's friend had a cabinet full of Archies and Little Dot and the like and I looked at those but they didn't captivate me.  FF50 was a revelation to me, the cover made me buy it and the inside didn't disappoint.  I had to find more and that was the beginning of a life long hobby. 

54 minutes ago, Norrin's lawyer said:

Marvel Team Up 53, SpiderMan and the Hulk, and the Wood God!  Mom picked this up for me from grocery store when I was 4.  I probably read it 1,000 times :x

What a shame they don't sell them @ grocery/convenience stores.

Such an easy way to get into comics!

7 hours ago, Norrin's lawyer said:

Marvel Team Up 53, SpiderMan and the Hulk, and the Wood God!  Mom picked this up for me from grocery store when I was 4.  I probably read it 1,000 times :x

Surprised kav doesn't like this.

7 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

FF50 was a revelation to me, the cover made me buy it and the inside didn't disappoint.  I had to find more and that was the beginning of a life long hobby. 

How long did it take you to find FF 48 and 49, and to be able to read the entire story, Dave?

I'd suspect that must've been important in those early days?

A friend of my mother's would pass along comics to me when he was done reading them. He was a DC horror fan so among those comics were Adventure Comics #433 and Black Magic #6. The Spectre books made the biggest impression on me. I still consider Aparo one of my all-time favourite artists today.

15 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

How long did it take you to find FF 48 and 49, and to be able to read the entire story, Dave?

I'd suspect that must've been important in those early days?

Long time.  

About 3 months later I met this kid who told me he had a bunch of early FFs.  Took the bus to the toughest part of town to have a look.  He had about 10 issues between #15 and #60 in awful shape, felt pen all over the covers and pieces missing.  Paid him 25 cents each and had a great time reading all the way home.  Took about 10 years to find them all.  Strangely enough #97 was the last one I needed.

As a young child, my grandmother used to bring me home garbage bags full of Bronze Age comics from her weekly church bazaar/rummage sale. I fell in love with Tomb of Dracula, Godzilla, Werewolf By Night, Unknown Soldier an Sgt. Rock. Superhero books were surely present, but it's those war and horror books that hooked me. Later during my pre-teen years I started picking up whatever caught my eye at the local corner store; the monthly selection always varied. It consisted mostly of Sgt. Rock, Team America, Rom, Iron Man, Star Wars, and miscellaneous Charlton titles.

Then one day I picked up Uncanny X-Men #202, and the rest, a they say, was history. From that day forth I became a Claremont X-Men junkie because--as a loner and bit of an outsider--I could relate to the problems mutants dealt with. I then scrambled to find back issues, whether they be in English or in French. :luhv:

On 6/6/2017 at 10:25 PM, Unca Ben said:

ASM 24 through 27; Spidey Goes Mad, JJJ's Robot, and the Crime-Master story arc - then a few month later ASM 31-33 Master Planner storyline.

I'm reading that storyline now for the first time in The Spider-Man omnibus. It's pretty great. Gwen Stacey is hot!