• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,106 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2024 at 1:35 PM, grapeape said:

You answered a great mystery for me. Crazy to me people worry about art personalized to someone else. I have a piece of art personalized to "Dwayne". When I bought the piece, the guy that sold it to me recommended I erase Dwayne's name if it bothered me 😂 

I just take these as a part of the history of a piece. 

Not art, but a book was privately offered to me a few months ago that had the original owner's name written on the cover in pen- which was common back in the day. The guy who was selling it decided to scribble over it and then had an artist who worked on the book sign over the name. In a funny turn of events the original owner whose name was on the book is a semi-well-known artist. The seller kinda ruined the provenance and devalued the piece. 

On 5/13/2024 at 10:56 AM, Captain ShipWreck said:

Not art, but a book was privately offered to me a few months ago that had the original owner's name written on the cover in pen- which was common back in the day. The guy who was selling it decided to scribble over it and then had an artist who worked on the book sign over the name. In a funny turn of events the original owner whose name was on the book is a semi-well-known artist. The seller kinda ruined the provenance and devalued the piece. 

I bet he probably owns a gifted civil war pistol that he took a scrubbing brush to the patina.

On 5/15/2024 at 7:59 AM, grapeape said:

I bet he probably owns a gifted civil war pistol that he took a scrubbing brush to the patina.

It’s not always so “black and white”. While most antiques with the look of age on them are considered better than if scrubbed, Art Deco and Mid-Century Modern furniture can be made more valuable with cleaning. Both styles look best when their clean, simple lines stand out, and the grime of age reduces it. If a piece had a bad bulky signature on it, or something else affecting its artistic integrity, I would get rid of it, too.