• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,091 posts in this topic

I recently had a user reach out via CAF, trying to sell some Tom Morgan Fleer card art for a nice markup. Funny thing is, I don’t think he owned the art (yet). A number of them were featured on Clan McDonald’s live art sale for considerably cheaper the following week (but still pricey for modern card art). This is at least questionable behavior right?

On 1/6/2024 at 12:00 PM, T Shen said:

I recently had a user reach out via CAF, trying to sell some Tom Morgan Fleer card art for a nice markup. Funny thing is, I don’t think he owned the art (yet). A number of them were featured on Clan McDonald’s live art sale for considerably cheaper the following week (but still pricey for modern card art). This is at least questionable behavior right?

Ooooooo- who was it??? (I checked those out on clan- they were nice but over priced for modern) 

On 1/4/2024 at 3:09 AM, JC25427N said:

Step 4: 

image.thumb.png.32f2c6f2477f52bdb4ef76f99df97b9d.png

Thank you for this follow up : I didn't had enough time the last days to write "Step 4".here myself, after I discovered the piece had indeed made its "transition"...

I never look at DD, but I guess I will make an exception this time!

On 1/6/2024 at 12:04 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

Ooooooo- who was it??? (I checked those out on clan- they were nice but over priced for modern) 

Matt Corrigan, not familiar with the name. Agreed they were a bit overpriced. Had they been priced more appropriately, I probably would’ve fallen for it to be honest.

Re Coolines you guys have no sense of humour. The Harlen Ellison script !! (Didn't anyone see it) Would that be the handful of blank pages Harlen once ran onto the stage with and handed to Julie Schwartz saying "Julie, here's the Batman script I promised you !!, sometime in the 70s-80s.

Come on, worth a laugh. (actually Harlan was talking about publishing this and many of his "unmade ideas" in 2013, it was to feature two face", and DC was talking about using it in there Batman 66, series .. talking about it ??)

Don't take this stuff so seriously, once upon a time people bought comics and art to enjoy.

and this whole thing is a total minefield of deceit and lies, they just go maybe that extra mile.

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 1/4/2024 at 4:11 PM, Dr. Balls said:

The chat was eerily quiet during this presentation on DD.

For the curious :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jViYU4lCc80https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jViYU4lCc80&t=08m01s

Nice: A.S. pointed out the removal of the decication. However, it's strange he used the original image (with the dedication blured) for the show.

On 1/4/2024 at 4:11 PM, Dr. Balls said:

The chat was eerily quiet during this presentation on DD.

I'm curious: Was the original Ebay sale a great deal? Is the fact this is a vintage Byrne sketch what (theoretically) bumps the (perceived) value?

I didn't realized the sketch was so big... The price is probably a bit too high now IMHO, but it was a huge deal on eBay for guys from my generation (and we're several here, I guess!). I can tell you if I could go back to September and catch it, I would do it on the spot! Even if the dedication had been already deleted at step 1, I would have it put back by a professional restorer. :bigsmile:

Edited by Ecclectica

On 1/6/2024 at 4:19 PM, T Shen said:

Matt Corrigan, not familiar with the name. Agreed they were a bit overpriced. Had they been priced more appropriately, I probably would’ve fallen for it to be honest.

Were they on 11x17 Comic Art board?

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 1/7/2024 at 8:55 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Were they on 11x17 Comic Art board?

Yes, 11X17. They were the 2022 Fleer Silver Age Avengers Cards. Black Panther, Wasp, Vision, Quicksilver and Hercules all by Tom Morgan. The Scarlet Witch sold.

On 1/10/2024 at 12:29 AM, Ecclectica said:

Sold on eBay in late November for 450 USD at most :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375090138496?hash=item57551d4d80%3Ag%3A6FsAAOSwku9lZ7nz&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338181027&customid=958&toolid=10049

Now on sale at AS' for 1500 USD :

https://www.anthonyscomicbookart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=94563

Problem is: Anthony's staff took for granted the original description of the original seller but... is the "Hericane" character really an existing one from the DC Universe?!?! IMHO, seems more to be a random superbabe sketch by AH, but I'm all ears.

Ebay sale price was $330

Edited by brainbats

On 7/13/2023 at 5:22 PM, Kryptic1 said:

Bill: “Two dealers will present art that is either new to the market or priced to sell”

Mike & Anthony: LOL

Avengers-2.thumb.png.d9340b5fe499c53031bc6d6b8af081d1.pngAvengers.thumb.png.402a34de5e6dbdb39ce88b1e2efed2ee.png

This one came back to Heritage again.  I’m guessing the next step is back to Dueling Dealers for $6k?

IMG_0113.thumb.jpeg.60b2c2ad290a0273839b71d788cd0729.jpeg

Edited by Kryptic1