• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,092 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2023 at 12:47 AM, Rick2you2 said:

And that’s what I get for not noticing the date. Still and all, the mark-up is light.

Not really, with that part of the run content rules, and Reverse Flash is king of content. Good RF pages should be over $1K although occasionally on ebay come in lower. This sold back in 2021 for $2,640 !! A record for a Bronze Flash panel page at the time. Around the time of StarGirl TV series which featured the Shade. Also has Jay Garrick so another plus. Considering it has Jay the $1,200 on HA was a good price, Bechara is probably on the money. Plenty of these bronze Flash pages turn up but this has superior content. Other thing is the first part of the run 296- is in my mind better art. Towards the end the decision was made to cancel Barry Allen. I think around then that Carmine kind of lost interest. And obviously I spend way too much of my life invested in the life and times of Barry Allen.

On 1/3/2024 at 7:09 PM, JC25427N said:

Step 4: 

image.thumb.png.32f2c6f2477f52bdb4ef76f99df97b9d.png

The chat was eerily quiet during this presentation on DD.

I'm curious: Was the original Ebay sale a great deal? Is the fact this is a vintage Bryne sketch what (theoretically) bumps the (perceived) value?

So this Batman piece started as a "commission preliminary sketch"  then sold & became an "unused pencil cover prelim" with new stat, and now is a "Batman 66 cover / design lost episode #1"  with new stats replacing other stat and then put on a board?   Ok then. :frown:

On 1/4/2024 at 11:11 PM, Will_K said:

Like being addicted to plastic surgery, keeps getting worse.

batman66.jpg

How can they continue to stoop so low, everyone moans. They are frauds, everyone says. Yet the main comic art web site -- one we all use and some support as paid members -- allows them to advertise and spam search results with 20,000+ pieces whose prices bear no relation to reality. AND we continually allow these two to set up and sell at any art show they like. So by fully accepting them in the only OA showcase site and at shows (they will be at OAX) aren't we all complicit in their behavior?

On 1/5/2024 at 7:45 AM, KirbyCollector said:

How can they continue to stoop so low, everyone moans. They are frauds, everyone says. Yet the main comic art web site -- one we all use and some support as paid members -- allows them to advertise and spam search results with 20,000+ pieces whose prices bear no relation to reality. AND we continually allow these two to set up and sell at any art show they like. So by fully accepting them in the only OA showcase site and at shows (they will be at OAX) aren't we all complicit in their behavior?

Normally (and I think I've stated as such), I am one of those "Let the Market sort out the weeds" kind of people - but on the other hand, you bring a good point. I'm pretty much a plebe compared to a lot of OA collectors, but even I know to steer clear of Coollines.

Even with that, it's still a matter of opinion - and no one should be disavowed over opinions. However, the misrepresentations of art like this is troubling. There is "working the grey area" and then there is "total misrepresentation". Inaccurate sales tactics are commonplace, but man - there's got to be some sort of line that gets drawn somewhere over this. It's not a prelim, since the printed cover bears zero resemblance. It's a sketch. That's it. It's not a "Cover" as it's described. This is Garcia Lopez's finished cover:

ScreenShot2024-01-05at9_55_13AM.png.994b3d3ca4f2e896d4bc5b47015a1f6a.png

I have several pieces purchased from dealers who have said "I think it was published in a book somewhere at some time..." that falls into that grey area of opinion. I feel this is acceptable and avoidable if you don't want to take the risk. Blatantly saying it's something it's not and mocking-up after-the-fact (and not disclosing what it really is) is wrong and unethical.

I can see @Bill C 's POV as a site owner not wanting to oversee every piece on CAF, or serve as the "art police" - but @KirbyCollector brings a good point: when do the people who can make the call start making the call against this sort of thing?

This particular piece has crossed over from a dealer's "opinion" to "misrepresentation" - which, for me, feels like some sort of action - however minor - can be taken to discourage the behavior.

Edited by Dr. Balls
Added Garcia Lopez reference

On 1/4/2024 at 8:11 PM, Will_K said:

Like being addicted to plastic surgery, keeps getting worse.

What always amazes me is that they don’t have to do this s***. I understand not everything they have ‘for sale’ is still in their inventory, but they still have A LOT. Plenty of which they got years ago at a fraction of the cost. Their pricing is one thing… they could just do double market instead of 3-8x and make money hand over fist, and still get new art in by their lopsided trade value. Their art, their prices - seems to work for them. But altering art… no reason for it. They’re choosing to be scumbags. 

On 1/5/2024 at 7:22 PM, Dirtcheap31 said:

I mean if they are posting this to CAF can’t people just comment and give feedback to what it is to keep things in check?

They're not posted to CAF exactly, any art posted on a Dealer website that CAF works with gets automatically listed to the Dealer Updates section. But the Dealer Updates aren't the same as regular CAF listings, you can't like or leave comments on them. https://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=10226605 

Edited by JC25427N

On 1/5/2024 at 9:21 PM, Bill C said:

You tagged the wrong Bill C--

Bill C--Bill Cox-- is the guy who's done the hobby a huge service via CAF.

I'm the other Bill C (the one who can usually be found in a garbage can somewhere, reading silver age Flash comics).

Oh jeez, sorry about that. I always thought this Bill C (you) was Bill Cox. :blush: