• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men #135 Original Art by Byrne and Austin
1 1

32 posts in this topic

I bit of a surprise seeing a page from the Dark Phoenix Saga on ebay by Byrne and Austin especially such a historic one where a Dark Phoenix destroys a planet and kills a billion asparagus people. It has just under 7 1/2 days left, any guesses on where it will end up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-135-1980-Original-Comic-Art-John-Byrne-and-Terry-Austin-Dark-Phoenix/272727706236?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Very difficult to predict.  Super-historical on one end, on the other it does not include any nice shot of Phoenix or the X-Men.  Still nice to look at, though.  My prediction is around 15k

11 minutes ago, Carlo M said:

Very difficult to predict.  Super-historical on one end, on the other it does not include any nice shot of Phoenix or the X-Men.  Still nice to look at, though.  My prediction is around 15k

I agree no great shots of the X-Men or Phoenix but it is one of the most memorable page from the story. Its a scene that is recreated alot when the story is retold in other comics.

3 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

50% odds we see it flipped on HA or Clink in the next 60 days 

What are the odds to see it flipped in the next 12 days?

Edited by lobrac
typo

15 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

I agree no great shots of the X-Men or Phoenix but it is one of the most memorable page from the story. Its a scene that is recreated alot when the story is retold in other comics.

Byrne drew a Phoenix recap page of this exact scene in She-Hulk #44 with a more prominent Phoenix panel.  Interesting to compare...

Byrne Phoenix redo

3 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

50% odds we see it flipped on HA or Clink in the next 60 days 

I haven't been involved with the hobby for several years-- is it that simple? Is there enough of a premium on the specialty sites vs eBay to account for the increased commission? Research seemed inconclusive...

FYI, I'm the seller.

Edited by David Passmore

The problem with eBay is that there are so many fraudulent listings people sometimes doubt the validity. Plus, the other sites give you a couple of weeks of extra exposure. However, I have seen some pretty outstanding results from eBay.  Theoretically, there are a lot more eyeballs on eBay listings than on other sites.  

3 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Over/Under on number of private messages David Passmore received in last 4 hours? Im putting the line at 3 since it was late at night.

as jaded a fact as my post about it getting flipped.  @David Passmore Byrne X-Men pages often flirt with $20K.  Your particular page may not go that high, but if it doesn't break 10K I"d be disappointed if I was you.  All the bidding will be snipes at the end, and that's where it might go for less than market, because al those competing bids still stop when time runs out, unlike Heritage. Plus, many high end collectors summarily ignore/dismiss Ebay so it could easily not be seen by potential bidders. The fact that we are talking about it here in the CGC is probably to your advantage. It will get more attention for it from the right people. Best of luck to you.

23 hours ago, David Passmore said:

I haven't been involved with the hobby for several years-- is it that simple? Is there enough of a premium on the specialty sites vs eBay to account for the increased commission? Research seemed inconclusive...

FYI, I'm the seller.

Too bad you ended it early. I guarantee you that you left money on the table if you took an offer to end it and sell direct. 

Edited by comix4fun

Im sure more than a few people are cursing under their breath, if not lamenting that there was a discussion about this at all, as it may have impacted the outcome.  Maybe some whale made him an offer he couldn't refuse and why leave money on the table or to fees with ebay or HA?