• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,312 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Why does it always go back to a studio competition with you? Like people are sitting there cheering 'SCREW DISNY AND THE MCU'? That's a real mental issue if someone is fixated on something like that. 

Heck, even the hard feelings toward Snyder fans gets old as those folks have raised over $500,000 towards suicide prevention. Move on from this nutty fixation and entertainment life gets better.

Just prodding you as I'm sure your doctor told you absolutely no excitement. I'm fully aware that there isn't really a studio competition between WB/DC and Disney/Marvel because Marvel Studios is in a tier unto themselves and we all know it.

Maybe I also throw it out there every now and then as a response to all the posts I see from ungrateful comics collectors who say "I'm ready to jump ship from the MCU after Endgame" or "Nothing in Phase Four interests me" when all Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios has done is make our beloved comic book super-hero culture the #1 thing in the world and made many of us loads of cash by skyrocketing the value of our CGC collectibles by making awesome fun super-hero movies one after the other.

6 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Just prodding you as I'm sure your doctor told you absolutely no excitement. I'm fully aware that there isn't really a studio competition between WB/DC and Disney/Marvel because Marvel Studios is in a tier unto themselves and we all know it.

Maybe I also throw it out there every now and then as a response to all the posts I see from ungrateful comics collectors who say "I'm ready to jump ship from the MCU after Endgame" or "Nothing in Phase Four interests me" when all Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios has done is make our beloved comic book super-hero culture the #1 thing in the world and made many of us loads of cash by skyrocketing the value of our CGC collectibles by making awesome fun super-hero movies one after the other.

You have been pushing the 'MCU Rules' theme much longer than Capra/Angel of Death noting this. It's kind of a silly focus to target studio wars, like any of us are creating the characters or the movies.

Fox definitely blew it with listening to Feige early on and working harder to piece the fantastic world of X-Men together in a much more logical way. But then X-Men: First Class and X-Men: Days of Future Past can stand toe-to-toe with any MCU film. Along with Deadpool and Logan. So we Marvel fans have a few films to enjoy across multiple studios. Including having Blade and Blade II as legacy contributions.

Edited by Bosco685

31 minutes ago, drotto said:

I just went through this.  Had mine done on November 12th. Mine was from playing volleyball. Sorry you had this, but you should recover quickly 4 to 6 weeks to almost normal.

Thank you! Good to know what time period to work towards.

It was just weird going into a hospital for surgery during a pandemic. But at this point, they have it locked down to a safe practice all the way through.

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I still say Trank's FF sucked.  I tried sitting through that again. 

As not good as WW84 was(to many many), the 2015 Fantastic Four film was a class of garbage all by itself. I don't want to call it "Trask's" as I read Fox took the film from him, reshot  a lot of it, and made their own edit. I'll be nice and say WW84 has some redeeming elements, but there is nothing redeeming whatsoever in that last Fox FF film. Even Ghost Rider Spirits of Vengeance gave itself at least one reason to exist with the final scene where Ghost Rider turns the excavator into a fiery weapon of destruction.

32 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You have been pushing the 'MCU Rules' theme much longer than Capra/Angel of Death noting this.

I like to think of myself more as having been "Captain Marvel will rule all" more than "MCU rules" as the latter is obvious and not nearly as controversial as the former here in these forums.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

37 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Thank you! Good to know what time period to work towards.

It was just weird going into a hospital for surgery during a pandemic. But at this point, they have it locked down to a safe practice all the way through.

The only discomfort I have at this point is right at the incision sites (assuming you have two from arthroscopic).  If I kneel on those spots or have my leg in full flex for an extended period it still bothers me. Otherwise, I am back at the gym and normal, but I have not really stressed it yet, but I think that is more mental.

8 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I like to think of myself more as having been "Captain Marvel will rule all" more than "MCU rules" as the latter is obvious and not nearly as controversial as the former here in these forums.

It's your opinion. You're entitled to it. I try to enjoy all of the comic book productions when they earned it. Despite the studio.

And the reality is with so much of the Marvel properties now under MCU control, it will be interesting to see how it all comes together.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

But of course they based this on your 'unbiased' description of #WW84 which of course helped in the conversation. :roflmao:

My wife made the same observation, although minerva wasn't really about being pretty, 

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It's your opinion. You're entitled to it. I try to enjoy all of the comic book productions when they earned it. Despite the studio.

And the reality is with so much of the Marvel properties now under MCU control, it will be interesting to see how it all comes together.

Here's what I'd like to see happen in regards to the whole Marvel and DC movies/shows thing.

First, I don't need DC to give me a version of the Marvel Cinematic Universe with DC characters. I'm not sure the world needs that either. Marvel got there first 12 years ago, Marvel does it best, and DC is never going to catch up with Marvel Studios (that is, creating a successful continuous extended universe that captures the imagination of the world). DC needs to stop forcing the extended universe thing (which I think they're already doing, not one reference to another major DC property in WW84).

In turn, I would like WB/DC to give me something different that I can't get with Marvel Studios films. As much as I love the MCU, I miss unique standalone superhero stories. WB's Joker was a great start. Do more stuff like that. Fine, make the Wonder Woman trilogy, but don't make that third movie about setting up a future universe. Just make the movie standalone.

Because of the nature of the MCU, they can't get too artsy or metaphoric with their stories. The characters come first. But DC can do it. In fact, some of the best DC comics are artsy or metaphoric, like the DC stories of Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, or Neil Gaiman. In a nutshell, give me more edge, and ditch the extended universe. If the movies end up being successful, you can try crossing over the characters later.

I recently started binging HBO's Watchmen. What a great show. Give me more of that DC. And Joker. Even though I wasn't the biggest fan of the movie.

I know Domo compared Minerva to Electro earlier in this thread in a hilarious way, but for me a more apt comparison would be Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns.. A mousy secretary who is ignored, laughed at and brutalized finally allows her repressed rage to surface, and becomes a force to be reckoned with.

I can see Patty Jenkins using that character for inspiration, since so much of the movie is inspired by Superhero movies from the eighties and nineties(especially Superman and Superman 2).

11 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Here's what I'd like to see happen in regards to the whole Marvel and DC movies/shows thing.

First, I don't need DC to give me a version of the Marvel Cinematic Universe with DC characters. I'm not sure the world needs that either. Marvel got there first 12 years ago, Marvel does it best, and DC is never going to catch up with Marvel Studios (that is, creating a successful continuous extended universe that captures the imagination of the world). DC needs to stop forcing the extended universe thing (which I think they're already doing, not one reference to another major DC property in WW84).

In turn, I would like WB/DC to give me something different that I can't get with Marvel Studios films. As much as I love the MCU, I miss unique standalone superhero stories. WB's Joker was a great start. Do more stuff like that. Fine, make the Wonder Woman trilogy, but don't make that third movie about setting up a future universe. Just make the movie standalone.

Because of the nature of the MCU, they can't get too artsy or metaphoric with their stories. The characters come first. But DC can do it. In fact, some of the best DC comics are artsy or metaphoric, like the DC stories of Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, or Neil Gaiman. In a nutshell, give me more edge, and ditch the extended universe. If the movies end up being successful, you can try crossing over the characters later.

I recently started binging HBO's Watchmen. What a great show. Give me more of that DC. And Joker. Even though I wasn't the biggest fan of the movie.

It's some fair points. Even little Fox's X-Men line was starting to go down this path of worrying less about world-building and more on the individual stories with Deadpool and Logan. And though they could have gone for the continued win with The New Mutants in going full horror/action, they changed course during the transition. Shame!

But with DC and its push to the Multiverse now with that The Flash episode bringing together TV and Movies in only a few minutes...

... DC could really move quickly to work across the Earths. Which is where I think it is going versus only selecting properties that link to one another. And with Joker and Birds of Prey as R-Rated properties, WB was not afraid to take risks. Though with the latter film it led to missing a large portion of the target audience. That it needs to be cautious with its decisions.

9 minutes ago, faster friends said:

As a DC fan I enjoyed it. But the first one was much better. This one was almost silly.

I just started watching it finally. 30 minutes in. It does seem silly and I’m wondering if it’s intentional like with the wishes. Seriously? Wishes? You can only get away with that in an 80’s movie like Big. But this almost feels like an episode from Linda Carter’s run. So far it’s ok, but nothing to write home about. 

21 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

gatsby-thanks.png

Untitled-ff+mm+ih.jpg

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada

I was SO looking forward to this movie.  Big let down for me.  Probably everything has been discussed in the last 10 pages of this thread, but here's a couple things I had problems with that completely took me out of the enjoyment of the movie.

-If they're going to do a "wishing stone" story then why did they have to put Steve into someone else's body?  It gave me the creeps to think Diana was actually sleeping with a man she didn't know (against his will?).  Where did the consciousness of that man go?  Was it suppressed within his brain as Steve took over?   Did the man have STDs?

-The jet Steve & Diana stole..... was it fully fueled when they stole it?  Can a jet like that make it over to Egypt and back without refueling?  Steve's flying expertise is in WWI aviation, how could he possibly fly this jet?  When they flew thru the Fireworks it would have lasted less than a second in the jet, but they made it seem like they were flying thru fireworks for well over a minute.

-Do children play on major highways in Egypt where convoys of military vehicles drive?  It wasn't a residential street or even a county road, it was a highway.  And when Diana saved the kids, it looked SO violent.  That was like a full speed tackle.  She probably killed them in saving them.

-I never understood how Maxwell was able to take what HE wanted from the people he granted wishes to.  How did he know he could do that?

I have no problem suspending my disbelief for these movies UNLESS the movies require me to throw all science & reality out the window.