• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color Touch on Blue Label Batman #5

18 posts in this topic

Someone has offered to trade me a CGC 6.5 blue label Batman #5 that has "very minor amount of color touch on cover" noted on the label.  Would you expect that to have much of an effect on the value compared to a blue label 9.5 without any color touch noted, or is minor color touch on older books not that big a deal?

10 hours ago, somewhereintexas said:

Someone has offered to trade me a CGC 6.5 blue label Batman #5 that has "very minor amount of color touch on cover" noted on the label.  Would you expect that to have much of an effect on the value compared to a blue label 9.5 without any color touch noted, or is minor color touch on older books not that big a deal?

The answer will vary from collector to collector.  It may also vary from comic book to comic book.  Not all 6.5s will have the same eye appeal.  The tiny dot of color touch on this copy might be a nonstarter for some and no big deal for others.  It is an individual preference thing.  Some collectors won't touch books with tape, others shy away from anything less than white pages, and still others shun detached centerfolds.  Everyone has their likes and dislikes.

Similarly, the color touched book may present far better than another 6.5 without the notation.  Maybe the color touch is at the spine and doesn't affect the actual image.  Maybe it's on the back cover.  Maybe there are significant differences in the eye appeal of the two books.

Lots of variables at play.  Makes it difficult to give you an easy answer. (shrug)

11 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

I would say it's not a non-starter as far as ALL "blue label only" collector go, but certainly worth less than a 6.5 without that notation. 

I'm not so sure. I own a number of GA books with the slight ct or spot of glue notations. Fairly common, even among high-grade books--including Church copies. 

I don't recall being able to buy these books at a discount and the designation doesn't bother me--which may explain why I wasn't able to get them at a discount!

36 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm not so sure. I own a number of GA books with the slight ct or spot of glue notations. Fairly common, even among high-grade books--including Church copies. 

I don't recall being able to buy these books at a discount and the designation doesn't bother me--which may explain why I wasn't able to get them at a discount!

my experience, as well.

My two cents - if you intend to keep it and it has strong eye appeal, the color touch would matter less.  If you are thinking about resale value, the color touch would definitely decrease the number of possible buyers which could hurt the value.

But without seeing the actual front and back cover image, hard to say for sure.  

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

my experience, as well.

Me 3.  In my experience, that notation indicates that the color touch is so minor that the grade would be the same without it.

I would go after the book. I don't mind a spot of glue on the top or bottom of spine, a minor  drop of color touch. I agree with cgc  minor does not put the book restored.

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

my experience, as well.

look at it this way- would it eliminate *any* buyers? I think it's likely that it would. So if there are fewer buyers, then it affects the price. 

Or rather, if you had the chance to buy the same book, same eye appeal, with or without the notation, which would you buy? 

I try to price up books with that notation on the label. The extra time that CGC put into the grading process and the extra lettering on the label certainly has some additional value.

Is the color touch a mismatch with the background, like, for example, blue ink on red?   Then you know it wasn't done with the intent to improve the book and should be in a blue label.   Unless, of course, the person who did it was color blind, then he might have done it with the intent to improve the book, so it should be in a purple label.   But wait, on the other hand, maybe he was intending to draw something obscene on the book, and changed his mind after touching the book with his pen before withdrawing it, which would prove he wasn't intending to improve it, so it should get a blue label.   Unless he was a guy who specifically collects books with obscene doodles on them, which would mean he was trying to improve the book, so it should get a purple label.

Edited by bluechip

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

I try to price up books with that notation on the label. The extra time that CGC put into the grading process and the extra lettering on the label certainly has some additional value.

I would think if stan the man lee put his sig on a book that's color touch :idea:

Thanks everybody for the input.  As it turns out, the other guy ending up trading the book to someone else and never gave me a heads up he was ready to do so unless he heard back from me.  Oh well.  At least now I have a small sampling of thoughts on the matter if it ever comes up again.

8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

It wouldn't bother me in the least since it's a minor touch as noted. I would always pick the copy with best eye appeal and PQ when looking at 2 books with the same number. 

I certainly would not expect the seller to offer me any discount on it as Sqeggs already noted.