• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Bye Photobucket
3 3

26 posts in this topic

I'm finding all my links are now displaying the image that asks me to upgrade my account...FOR $400 A YEAR!!!??

So is there a consensus on the best image hosting site out there right now?

14 hours ago, Turtle said:

I'm finding all my links are now displaying the image that asks me to upgrade my account...FOR $400 A YEAR!!!??

So is there a consensus on the best image hosting site out there right now?

That's what I, too, am asking right about now.  Feeling absolutely betrayed and screwed over by PB, and I imagine I can't be the only one.  Years and years of posted images are now just a useless advertisement for PB.  Perhaps they're counting on this to act as incentive to "upgrade"...  

This move might not go over too well for PB, though.  I wonder how many people, especially among the long time users, are going to fork over one thin dime?  Not me.  

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

That's what I, too, am asking right about now.  Feeling absolutely betrayed and screwed over by PB, and I imagine I can't be the only one.  Years and years of posted images are now just a useless advertisement for PB.  Perhaps they're counting on this to act as incentive to "upgrade"...  

This move might not go over too well for PB, though.  I wonder how many people, especially among the long time users, are going to fork over one thin dime?  Not me.  

The thing is...if it would have been $10-$20 a year for hosting and no ads, I probably would have done it.  $400?  Lunacy! :insane:

I am a paying customer, but I do the least expensive option which is $8.99 a month.

**But I see that it will only be until Dec 31, 2018. :(

Edited by Artboy99

On 7/13/2017 at 5:35 PM, Artboy99 said:

I am a paying customer, but I do the least expensive option which is $8.99 a month.

**But I see that it will only be until Dec 31, 2018. :(

My situation as well.  I'm guessing that something significant will happen one way or the other between now and then.

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

My situation as well.  I'm guessing that something significant will happen one way or the other between now and then.

I have 2 accounts: one for comics and the other is for my art.

I am not paying that yearly cost after Dec 31, 2018 for both.

Just now, Artboy99 said:

I have 2 accounts: one for comics and the other is for my art.

I am not paying that yearly cost after Dec 31, 2018 for both.

I'm hoping we won't have to.  I don't see the $400 per year charge as being a sustainable strategy for them.

The fact that they pushed off the date for their current paying customers (like us) to have pay the full bill is an indication to me that they aren't at all sure this will work.  Hence, they don't want to run the risk of people who are currently paying the lesser charge heading for the exits.

I just did did a sales thread with every single book whose image I had on photobucket.  Those I sold, great.  The rest? I'm putting them all in one big (or a few small... whatever) lot/s and selling them on ebay over the weekend.   The purpose for doing this is to be FOREVER DONE WITH PHOTOBUCKET.   It's my way of going cold turkey.  If I no longer have any images up there I need, then I no longer have any reason to deal with them.

If I ever find that I miss it?  I can simple bang my head really hard against the wall several times.  I assume the sensation will end up much the same.  With fewer spam ads.

I use IMGUR, but its just for file hosting so I can display scans. I don't know how they do with large volumes of photos and collections.

But, hey its free.

I left photobucket years ago after several upgrades that were junk.

You can also look into your Cable provider. They give you FREE FTP hosting, but most people don't take advantage of it.

Edited by fastballspecial

43 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I use IMGUR, but its just for file hosting so I can display scans. I don't know how they do with large volumes of photos and collections.

But, hey its free.

I left photobucket years ago after several upgrades that were junk.

You can also look into your Cable provider. They give you FREE FTP hosting, but most people don't take advantage of it.

Imgur, free, let's you pick the size you want your image to show on a website. 

On 7/13/2017 at 3:45 PM, Turtle said:

The thing is...if it would have been $10-$20 a year for hosting and no ads, I probably would have done it.  $400?  Lunacy! :insane:

I offered $3.99 for a lifetime and they told me to go ... it.

I've been a paid subscriber for years. I think I paid about $59 a year. I just got a special, for certain people offer. A monthly plan for the no ads, 3rd party hosting.

$59 a MONTH, because we ASKED for a monthly plan.

I think someone is on drugs...serious drugs.

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I've been a paid subscriber for years. I think I paid about $59 a year. I just got a special, for certain people offer. A monthly plan for the no ads, 3rd party hosting.

I think they are on their death cruise on the river Styx.

13 hours ago, lizards2 said:
15 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I think they are on their death cruise on the river Styx.

Indeed.