• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,108 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2020 at 9:35 AM, KirbyJack said:

I’m watching The War on Netflix. Like it a lot!

I just watched the first episode today. Wow... It really effected me. To better understand what my dad, my uncles and my father in law went through. As well as the "home front". Very moving makes me want to hug any WWII vet I bump into. But right now of course, I can't.

The parallels between then and now are strangely similar. The whole country was so united. Not so much now but as then, we are all so effected. EVERYBODY is effected. Back then people were dying and same as now all over the country. This enemy is invisible though.

All we got to do is to stay home and not infect each other. Pretty simple. I get it, a lot of people are hurting some VERY bad financialy. Quit whining and complaining people. Do the right thing for everyone not just your self. Lets man up like they did in WWII and beat the enemy as Americans.

Can't recomend this series enough. Made me want to cry at times and cheer at other times.

Alright, off my soap box. Last week was kind of a bad week for me. I am good and very grateful that my family and all my friends (except for one) are safe and healthy.

Feel free to post some of your killer WWII books here to cheer me up.

comrememberpearlharbor.jpg

comusaisready.jpg

comunitedstatesmarines3.jpg

comshipahoy.jpg

comflyingcadet.jpg

6 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

The parallels between then and now are strangely similar. The whole country was so united. Not so much now but as then, we are all so effected. EVERYBODY is effected. Back then people were dying and same as now all over the country. This enemy is invisible though.

All we got to do is to stay home and not infect each other. Pretty simple. I get it, a lot of people are hurting some VERY bad financialy. Quit whining and complaining people. Do the right thing for everyone not just your self. Lets man up like they did in WWII and beat the enemy as Americans.

I haven’t hugged my grandkids in over a month. They’re little, and my wife cries when the thought goes thru her mind that they might forget her.
It sucks, but we’ll be fine.
WWII may have been the last time we as Americans were asked to really sacrifice. This seems much less in comparison.

Yeah, we are in the same situation. It really suks. We have tried face time but they are little and have the attention span of a fly. Plus the quality and sound suks. I'm just not a "virtual" person. I much prefer face to face contact.

Here is a very funny short little video for you folks. We have all waited for the "package guy". We have been sending them little gift packages through Amazon. They know about when he comes each day and know the brown truck. Turn up the sound and listen carefully.

Most of all because of "self isolation" I miss these kids the most.

On 4/21/2020 at 3:05 PM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, we are in the same situation. It really suks. We have tried face time but they are little and have the attention span of a fly. Plus the quality and sound suks. I'm just not a "virtual" person. I much prefer face to face contact.

Here is a very funny short little video for you folks. We have all waited for the "package guy". We have been sending them little gift packages through Amazon. They know about when he comes each day and know the brown truck. Turn up the sound and listen carefully.

Most of all because of "self isolation" I miss these kids the most.

That's adorable!   I'm the same way when the 'package guy' comes, but it isn't adorable when I'm jumping up and down and squealing ...

I find myself looking out my office window at home for the “package guy” sometimes. “the package guy” brings me fun, joy and a little diversion in these miserable times. 

Does the same for these kids who are locked down without their friends and regular routines. But they are kids and act the way kids do. Family members are sending them stuff from time to time to keep their spirits up. 

On 4/9/2020 at 11:04 PM, Cobbledclam said:

For Richard

I can't believe I missed this. What a great way to start the day! Thanks!

And now we transition from a young Roky Erickson to a young Billy Gibbons...

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Since I can now post videos, thought I'd post this

Space Conqueror Robot

My childhood was filled with these toys; mostly from Japan. While I loved them and my Tonka trucks and trains; for some reason I only caught the collecting bug with my comics. I'm not sure why that is the case; maybe because the toys got beat to death with my two brothers in the house and nothing survived whereas I could keep my comics stored safely. My older brother collected railroad timetables and started stashing them away in files so I emulated him with the comics and started tracking them. I do have a few toys that survived stashed somewhere around here and I always think I will scan and post here but never seem to do it. One of my favorites was a Matchbox semi trailer with two trailers; that was a fantastic little model!! I think I have at least part of that stashed in a box somewhere. My Dad had a bar and had a collection of those crazy automated toys; the monkey with the cymbal and I think a guy drinking bourbon. He'd set those out when people came by and it was quite entertaining. Where those ended up? Who knows.

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

And this 1940 Superman Airplane

These are awesome - and pretty scarce. There is an old time toy guy here in Houston who has two of these rollover planes, Two different large rollover tanks, and three different small rollover tanks, all in killer shape. He had them on display at a small local toy show about a year ago. The first time I had a chance to buy a rollover tank was in the late -70s. A guy was asking $40 and I passed because the Superman part was a little scuffed. It was a long time until I saw another one.

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I can't believe I missed this. What a great way to start the day! Thanks!

And now we transition from a young Roky Erickson to a young Billy Gibbons...

Oh, hell, when I think of Texas music. Hard to beat the big albino! I've been trying to master the slide ever since I first saw him.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

These are awesome - and pretty scarce. There is an old time toy guy here in Houston who has two of these rollover planes, Two different large rollover tanks, and three different small rollover tanks, all in killer shape. He had them on display at a small local toy show about a year ago. The first time I had a chance to buy a rollover tank was in the late -70s. A guy was asking $40 and I passed because the Superman part was a little scuffed. It was a long time until I saw another one.

I have two of the 3 Superman planes. Had chances to get the third color but never could justify spending the money. I found the Superman figure by it's self on the second one and just hunted down the more common plane and put them together. I have both the small tanks. Was going to film but they are kind of fast and hard to film. Might try later. I've never had the big battery opp one and at this stage, probably won't.

supermanplanetank.jpg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I have two of the 3 Superman planes. Had chances to get the third color but never could justify spending the money. I found the Superman figure by it's self on the second one and just hunted down the more common plane and put them together. I have both the small tanks. Was going to film but they are kind of fast and hard to film. Might try later. I've never had the big battery opp one and at this stage, probably won't.

supermanplanetank.jpg

Were those US made? Marx maybe?

I'm so bored of working at home and VTC's I ran upstairs to take a quick look to see if I could find any cool toys to post. Didn't find a toy but spotted this vintage fifties or sixties Japanese transistor radio that was left by the prior owner in our current house. I love the design on this little guy and it still works!! That soldering is all hand done; wonder what it cost when it was new?Aiwa1.thumb.jpg.e15d6e25495db55d0eccdd38ed5c34cb.jpgAiwa2.thumb.jpg.1fb0c0e1de4910ccd0b2c4902d976738.jpgAiwa3.thumb.jpg.3cb84c0b38a395a8fcc93d71c0e0576a.jpgAiwa4.thumb.jpg.b260b7245af91f9f233f3b0dc57cf4eb.jpg

I used to have the green rollover tank in the original box. Wonderful wonderful stuff! I purchased mine from Wayne from Wayne from Wonderland. $145 back in the late 80's🤔😊

IMG_1980.JPG

Edited by Cobbledclam
Forgot some info

On 4/20/2020 at 8:33 PM, KirbyJack said:

I haven’t hugged my grandkids in over a month. They’re little, and my wife cries when the thought goes thru her mind that they might forget her.
It sucks, but we’ll be fine.
WWII may have been the last time we as Americans were asked to really sacrifice. This seems much less in comparison.

Aw Jack,tugs the heart strings.

Bob,I know you miss yours too-I miss my sisters kids a lot-have a big box of reader comics ready to go for them

7 hours ago, Cobbledclam said:

I used to have the green rollover tank in the original box. Wonderful wonderful stuff! I purchased mine from Wayne from Wayne from Wonderland. $145 back in the late 80's🤔😊

IMG_1980.JPG

I like the cut of your jib mister :foryou: You had me at 13th Floor Elevators :cloud9: