• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,108 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I'm so bored of working at home and VTC's I ran upstairs to take a quick look to see if I could find any cool toys to post. Didn't find a toy but spotted this vintage fifties or sixties Japanese transistor radio that was left by the prior owner in our current house. I love the design on this little guy and it still works!! That soldering is all hand done; wonder what it cost when it was new?Aiwa1.thumb.jpg.e15d6e25495db55d0eccdd38ed5c34cb.jpgAiwa2.thumb.jpg.1fb0c0e1de4910ccd0b2c4902d976738.jpgAiwa3.thumb.jpg.3cb84c0b38a395a8fcc93d71c0e0576a.jpgAiwa4.thumb.jpg.b260b7245af91f9f233f3b0dc57cf4eb.jpg

Those are very collectible. Not worth a ton of money but very fast sellers. Most of my customers are from Japan.

23 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

My childhood was filled with these toys; mostly from Japan. While I loved them and my Tonka trucks and trains; for some reason I only caught the collecting bug with my comics. I'm not sure why that is the case; maybe because the toys got beat to death with my two brothers in the house and nothing survived whereas I could keep my comics stored safely. My older brother collected railroad timetables and started stashing them away in files so I emulated him with the comics and started tracking them. I do have a few toys that survived stashed somewhere around here and I always think I will scan and post here but never seem to do it. One of my favorites was a Matchbox semi trailer with two trailers; that was a fantastic little model!! I think I have at least part of that stashed in a box somewhere. My Dad had a bar and had a collection of those crazy automated toys; the monkey with the cymbal and I think a guy drinking bourbon. He'd set those out when people came by and it was quite entertaining. Where those ended up? Who knows.

We didn’t have many toys growing up in a family of 4 kids. I kind of remember trucks, board games and some TV character stuff. We had very few battery opp toys. My parents quickly realized we would beat the heck out of them and they needed batteries. Growing up in CA, we had bikes, skateboards and sports equipment. Having a Sting Ray bike was the best. Total freedom. We had a lot of books and comics though. They were cheap and I guess my parents thought reading was important. 

I don’t have a lot of nostalgia for toys from my era but later discovered how cool the toys my parents had were. I really love the colors and clever action of wind-up and battery toys though. 

This this fun looking issue of Gay #40 in the mail yesterday and something occured to me. It was a cover that mentioned New York on the cover. Seemed to me that I had seen a number of NY themed covers. I'll post a few and hopefully you folks with elighten me with a few more.

comgay40.jpg

What a terrific, if boring, toy. The "boing" sound is just delightful.

People forget how huge Buck and Flash were back in the day.

Which reminds me, do you ever come across ant Prince Valiant toys? I don't mean premiums or flicker rings but genuine toys?

I'm thinking probably not, as excepting "playsets" I am hard pressed to think of anything with a "play action" that could be spun off from the strip.

Yeah, they are very simplistic action wise. I have all 5 variations of this Marx toy. Some have better springs than others and move better. They all have that sound. The dogs hate them. They were made from early ‘30’s to the early ‘50’s. This Buck Rogers was the first and the Tom Corbett was the last. I also have one of the Flash Gordon with no FG markings. Same toy but different graphics. If you haven’t guessed, they are some of my favorite toys.

Yes, there were a lot of Prince Valiant toys made. Mostly in the very early 1950’s. Drawing from memory I have owned and sold a number of them. Bow and arrow boxed set, beautiful tin litho shield, a great board game and a play set. Numerous comics and books as well. The only thing I think I still have in my collection is this metal dime bank. 

4E074DE3-2FCA-45C9-BD7A-64717CBFE526.jpeg

AAEA487B-94D4-4849-B580-FFD461E1D73E.jpeg

20BACF72-DB19-4578-8B03-8FA86EEDA281.jpeg

C4A2E713-59F8-4894-9FA4-EF3BFCFA27F1.jpeg

563BF592-F60B-490A-94EF-ED3682A1BA48.jpeg

Beautiful toys RM. Needless to say there were no dime banks available here back in the day. Are they good sellers for you or does it depend on the character?

By that I mean I imagine they all sell, but some much faster (and at a greater price) than others.

"The dogs hate them". It's weird that when one finds something irritates puppy dogs it is an immediate invitation to repeat the experience lol

On 4/29/2020 at 11:30 AM, Robot Man said:

commarvelmystery36.jpg

This was one of the covers I marveled over in Steranko's History of the Comics in the early seventies. At that time I had little to no access to Golden Age books and while I was getting the Buyer's Guide my allowance only supported buying modern books. When I got to see all of those covers (even in B&W) it was a revelation. I need to go back and re-read that book someday; I still have both my tattered copies around somewhere.

Had to get the the store at 6:00 am to buy groceries this morning. Some weeks, just getting out and talking to strangers is a treat. Sad isn’t it?

On the way home, we drove by our local beach. Closed as I knew it would be and probably should be. Sad part, and you can’t see from my car windows, are all those little glassy tubes just going to waste and unridden.

Funny, like sometimes you tend to take things for granted...

FC5D12E5-EF68-4083-A7EB-A95310885E24.jpeg

275EFCE1-50F2-4744-92D6-3C3D4FB07E72.jpeg

058388AF-3FD8-437F-A891-184517BA6E89.jpeg

F775871E-7C0F-4211-8A3D-2A17793797DC.jpeg