• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Summer Auction
1 1

183 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Shouldn't matter much; again, classic issue.   If I had dreamed it would end that cheap I would have been bidding.

My valuation centers on principles espoused as the "Hoberg Defense."

lol

1 minute ago, Matches_Malone said:

I wonder how much would a early Mignola Hellboy cover  go for nowadays? 

Well, this was a Seed of Destruction page, that's probably a significant portion of the closing figure. 

8 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Shouldn't matter much; again, classic issue.   If I had dreamed it would end that cheap I would have been bidding.

My valuation centers on principles espoused as the "Hoberg Defense."

It may have also suffered from the A-B-C-D handicap.....lots at the beginning of an alphabetical auction, short of Ditko, have to overcome the "saving my bullets" mentality of people waiting to see what lots coming up later . The piece has to be incredibly great to make people target it at the expense of all other pieces. 

1 minute ago, malvin said:

So I was surprised at the Murry Batman/Judge Dredd cover even before the live auction.

It's pretty but is Jim Murray some sort of popular artist that I happen to be not aware of?

Malvin

$22.7k? Wow. didn't see that coming. It's sort of an uneven image it works as a wraparound cover but it's a little unbalanced in it's OA form. 

He MUST have a larger audience out there for this kind of result. 

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It may have also suffered from the A-B-C-D handicap.....lots at the beginning of an alphabetical auction, short of Ditko, have to overcome the "saving my bullets" mentality of people waiting to see what lots coming up later . The piece has to be incredibly great to make people target it at the expense of all other pieces. 

Yes, I've noticed that at times.   

Still, I honestly thought double that and maybe more.     #20, nice shot of swampy, and the old man smoking which is very reminiscent of #21.    

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

$22.7k? Wow. didn't see that coming. It's sort of an uneven image it works as a wraparound cover but it's a little unbalanced in it's OA form. 

He MUST have a larger audience out there for this kind of result. 

Maybe Halperin bid on it, he has some Murray Dredd stuff?    And maybe somebody figured they had to outbid Halperin?

Or was Halperin the owner?

Edited by Bronty

Just now, Bronty said:

Yes, I've noticed that at times.   

Still, I honestly thought double that and maybe more.     #20, nice shot of swampy, and the old man smoking which is very reminiscent of #21.    

I was the 2nd underbidder I think...but I was, as you can expect, saving my bullets. 

3 minutes ago, suspense39 said:

Consecutive DD #10 pages one doing 20 something thousand more than the other ?!??

There was a pretty big difference between the pages, aside from the price. lol 

Just now, Cleangone said:

Has a Seed page ever gotten close to $10K before?

I doubt it. I would have remembered. I guess if a page of Hellboy was gonna go nuts it was from this story. 

Edited by comix4fun