• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's Tales of the Comic Book Room
15 15

1,358 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I don't know how you got in. He wouldn't let me look until the doors opened and by then I had to go open up my booth. Up his, I went else where to spend my 50 bucks. Seriously, I could spend all day in his booth alone. I suspect the big reason he does this show is so he can bring his entire inventory because it is literally in his back yard. He never has this much stuff at other cons I see him at. 

He had a Patsy Walker #1, and Millie #1.  The Patsy was on his wall, the Millie in the long boxes.  I was tempted!

IMG_2156.thumb.jpg.dbcc6c7747166e047648d755900089f1.jpg

Terry's Con Report Part 9 - Terry's Con Last Thoughts

After the con, I took an uber to LAX and sat in a bar for 4 hours with my computer and WIFI.  Also a few Stellas, and this really excellent burger. 

So was the con worth flying all the way from DC, and taking the red-eye home?  Sure.  I got a lot of great comics.  I met a lot of boardies in person.  I broke my diet and had chicken fried rice.  It was fun.

But would I do it again?  No way.  At least, not a crazy 24 hour trip.  If I go again - and I hope I do -- I'll make a long weekend out of it and bring the wife.  I'll leave her at the beach to soak up the sun while I go to the con, and then after, the 2 of us will hit an LA speakeasy where you have to know the password to get in, where the wife is wearing that short skirt and Jimmy Choos.  Now that would be fun!

IMG_2185.thumb.jpg.33ae3e5477c1d15b728be3948934f23f.jpg

IMG_2186.thumb.jpg.e345bd204fab08af0e1982108d89b226.jpg

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Look closely at the address on the envelope and the address that Jack put on the certificate

He most likely moved after he received the membership kit. It looks like he moved around a lot during his lifetime!

http://obituaries.the-journal.com/obituaries/the-journal/obituary.aspx?n=jack-ott&pid=173267316&

Edited by Ghastly542454

34 minutes ago, Ghastly542454 said:

He most likely moved after he received the membership kit. It looks like he moved around a lot during his lifetime!

http://obituaries.the-journal.com/obituaries/the-journal/obituary.aspx?n=jack-ott&pid=173267316&

Take a closer look...on the membership card he has written  "1231 Plamer St"  on the envelope is typed "1931 Palmest"  If I separate "Palmest" I get    Palme st.  If I then switch the "a" and the "l" in the word "Palme" I get "Plame" - the only thing missing is the "r" to get to "Plamer".  

Additionally, the "2" in "1231" that he filled out on his original coupon application for membership could well have been misinterpreted as a "9" by whomever typed up the return label.  

It seems that he did move around quite a bit but as an adult.

PS - I googled "Plamer St, Owosso, Mich" and it doesn't exist.  There is however a "Palmer St" which makes it even more of a miracle that he got his kit lol

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Take a closer look...on the membership card he has written  "1231 Plamer St"  on the envelope is typed "1931 Palmest"  If I separate "Palmest" I get    Palme st.  If I then switch the "a" and the "l" in the word "Palme" I get "Plame" - the only thing missing is the "r" to get to "Plamer".  

Additionally, the "2" in "1231" that he filled out on his original coupon application for membership could well have been misinterpreted as a "9" by whomever typed up the return label.  

PS - I googled "Plamer St, Owosso, Mich" and it doesn't exist.  There is however a "Palmer St" which makes it even more of a miracle that he got his kit lol

The bigger miracle is that 73 years later, it is now part of my collection and it’s not going to a wrong or any other address!!!?????

2 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Terry's Con Report Part 9 - Terry's Con Last Thoughts

After the con, I took an uber to LAX and sat in a bar for 4 hours with my computer and WIFI.  Also a few Stellas, and this really excellent burger. 

So was the con worth flying all the way from DC, and taking the red-eye home?  Sure.  I got a lot of great comics.  I met a lot of boardies in person.  I broke my diet and had chicken fried rice.  It was fun.

But would I do it again?  No way.  At least, not a crazy 24 hour trip.  If I go again - and I hope I do -- I'll make a long weekend out of it and bring the wife.  I'll leave her at the beach to soak up the sun while I go to the con, and then after, the 2 of us will hit an LA speakeasy where you have to know the password to get in, where the wife is wearing that short skirt and Jimmy Choos.  Now that would be fun!

IMG_2185.thumb.jpg.33ae3e5477c1d15b728be3948934f23f.jpg

IMG_2186.thumb.jpg.e345bd204fab08af0e1982108d89b226.jpg

If you do that let me give you some great LA restaurant suggestions. 

3 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

It would be an interesting story to hear as to how the membership kit survived intact given all of his moves and when and to whom he sold/gave it to.

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I don't know how you got in. He wouldn't let me look until the doors opened and by then I had to go open up my booth. Up his, I went else where to spend my 50 bucks. Seriously, I could spend all day in his booth alone. I suspect the big reason he does this show is so he can bring his entire inventory because it is literally in his back yard. He never has this much stuff at other cons I see him at. 

He always seemed to have good stuff at the SDCC and maybe it’s me and the material I happened to look at the time but some of his prices in my past experiences at his SDCC booth seemed “aggressive” at times. I passed on a raw PCH book he had in San Diego one year at $1100.00 and picked up the same book a few months later in a slab and a full grade higher than his for $650.00. I didn’t get my copy cheap either it’s just that some of his prices are a little out of whack with the market. 

Edited by N e r V

5 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

USPS used to rock it back in the old days.  There is a very famous cover from the 1860s that was addressed as follows:

Wood

John

Mass

It was delivered to:

Spoiler

John Underwood

Andover Massachusetts

Edited by adamstrange

21 hours ago, Robot Man said:

12 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

The bigger miracle is that 73 years later, it is now part of my collection and it’s not going to a wrong or any other address!!!?????

Ahem to that! (thumbsu

11 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

If you do that let me give you some great LA restaurant suggestions. 

I will definitely take you up on your offer!  By the way, you're known to my wife as that guy who goes to Il Mulino in NYC, while I always seem to end up at Quality Meats.

Edited by n2wdw

1 hour ago, n2wdw said:

I will definitely take you up on your offer!  By the way, you're known to my wife as that guy who goes to Il Mulino in NYC, while I always seem to end up at Quality Meats.

If you don't mind the "hood" I can take you out for the best Mexican food you have ever eaten!

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:
8 hours ago, n2wdw said:

If you don't mind the "hood" I can take you out for the best Mexican food you have ever eaten!

Y'all are coming to Houston??? Awesome. I can't wait!!!!