• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Next Great Big Auction Event post-Berk Collection... share your thoughts

59 posts in this topic

If Dave Anderson were to sell that would be akin to the Mile High collection coming to market but I believe he wants to pass the collection on to the family. The Bang Zoom collection would probably generate as much in $ as the Berk collection, potentially more since he has all the marquee books in high grade un-restored condition as far as I know.

in terms of comics and not original art, anderson's collection would far and away be the biggest news of all.  one single book, or maybe two single books, could eclipse the value of the entire 1st berk auction.

other collections that would be of great interest would be bangzoom, verzyl and brulato.

the rarehighgrade and adamstrange collections, while perhaps not of the same level in terms of monetary value, would be of immense interest. ;) 

9 minutes ago, tth2 said:

in terms of comics and not original art, anderson's collection would far and away be the biggest news of all.  one single book, or maybe two single books, could eclipse the value of the entire 1st berk auction.

other collections that would be of great interest would be bangzoom, verzyl and brulato.

the rarehighgrade and adamstrange collections, while perhaps not of the same level in terms of monetary value, would be of immense interest. ;) 

Don't forget the bedrock collection 

24 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Don't forget the bedrock collection 

I was about to add the tall Texan myself...

And, I hope none of these legendary collections come to market for quite some time. There is something mystical about them. Besides, I hope these gentlemen get to enjoy them for a long time and we get to wonder...

Anderson's collection was huge back in 1982 when we would talk on the phone. I had just bought my Tec 27 from Gerber and could not wait to drive back from Reno to call Dave. If I remember right he had just bought his Tec 27 that he said was nm to mint. I had a beat copy of Action 1 my 2-3-4 and 7 lower grade. I had just got my Superman 1 vg missing back cover lot's of Batman 1's  and a lot more books and he had them all in NM. I will say back in those days Action 1 and Tec 27 and Marvel 1 where the only books that would cost you over 3k. I have not talked to him for 30 years and all the books he had then would sell for more now than any collection I could think of.

Seems like there is no reason to believe that Anderson or Verzyl will be selling their collections any time soon, if ever, and those have got to be the top 2 GA collections by far, right? 

Halperin must be a contender for best OA collection.  But no reason to think he'll sell either and he's got two sons.

Brulato's collection is mainly SA.

My guess would be that next big auction event will be a relatively unknown collection coming to auction from one of the long time buy and hold collectors.  Probably composed mainly of books they acquired prior to the 1980s.  BangZoom's collection would be an obvious example of this type of collection.  I suspect that there are more of these types of collections than people realize, guy who have been collecting since the 60s or early 70s, who will either die or turn their attention to selling. 

This is an interesting question, but also one that is hard to answer (so many things to consider).

When I learned of the Berk collection coming to auction, I called him immediately because I was so concerned that something had happened. Frankly Jon was the last person on the list of folk whom I thought might cash out their collection.

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

I've seen the sacentaur collection.  It too is pretty darn impressive.

I would put Anderson, Verzyl, bangzoom and Fischler at the top, with bedrock not far behind.

+1

You definitely won't get any argument from me at all with any of the names on the above list.  (thumbsu

11 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

The Berk Collection auction for many of us was an amazing experience.  And a communal one at that.  What's next on the horizon of similar scale, any educated guesses?  What would you like to see become available?

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Magik Woo auction at HA. I guess some deep in GA would consider his books too pedestrian and commonplace.

3 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

I've seen the sacentaur collection.  It too is pretty darn impressive.

I would put Anderson, Verzyl, bangzoom and Fischler at the top, with bedrock not far behind.

Fischler has a collection?  What's in it besides Fantastic 3s?  I thought he just had inventory, not a collection.

3 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Just checked the registry. Do you have more books besides the pre-Batman Tecs and More Funs?

Terrific sets by the way (worship)

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Just checked the registry. Do you have more books besides the pre-Batman Tecs and More Funs?

Terrific sets by the way (worship)

RareHighGrade has a great Detective collection he posted them last year and its top of the line.

privateeye-privateeye-detective-sherlock-smiley-emoticon-000225-design_zpsd39b66eb.gif

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:

Just checked the registry. Do you have more books besides the pre-Batman Tecs and More Funs? Terrific sets (worship)

Those sets represent a subset of my overall collection.  I haven't put any of my other books in the registry because most of my other runs are not as comprehensive as the Tecs and More Funs.

9 hours ago, atomised said:

What about the Dentist's collection?  Does he have the Church AC1?

"The Dentist" is "Anderson" (Dave Anderson - a Virginia dentist) who owns not only the MH AC 1, but the Allentown D 27, and the best Superman 1 (he rejected the MH), as well as many other MHs, including MH Pep 22, the MH Archie 1 ..., and  well, you get the point.  He wins.  He reportedly has a very high grade pedigree (Nor Cal) whose contents are not well known as DA is so secretive, though they did yield a 9.4 AS  8  3, essentially to himself.

Second place goes to Verzyl with the MH MC 1, Allentown CA 1 and lots of MH Timely's. 

Edited by sfcityduck

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Magik Woo auction at HA. I guess some deep in GA would consider his books too pedestrian and commonplace.

Some of his books, including his copy of Suspense 3, sold in an earlier Heritage auction.