• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Next Great Big Auction Event post-Berk Collection... share your thoughts

59 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

"The Dentist" is "Anderson" (Dave Anderson - a Virginia dentist) who owns not only the MH AC 1, but the Allentown D 27, and the best Superman 1 (he rejected the MH), as well as many other MHs, including MH Pep 22, the MH Archie 1 ..., and  well, you get the point.  He wins.  He reportedly has a very high grade pedigree (Nor Cal) whose contents are not well known as DA is so secretive, though they did yield a 9.4 AS 8, essentially to himself.

Second place goes to Verzyl with the MH MC 1, Allentown CA 1 and lots of MH Timely's. 

thanks for clarifying for this newbie, what a legend the Dentist is (worship)

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Fischler has a collection?  What's in it besides Fantastic 3s?  I thought he just had inventory, not a collection.

He's rumored to have a massive inventory that is not for sale, which arguably qualifies as a collection.  Admittedly, this is just rumor and may not be true.  However, I have personal knowledge that from time to time he has disclosed very rare and highly prized books that have never been offered for sale.

21 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

He's rumored to have a massive inventory that is not for sale, which arguably qualifies as a collection.  Admittedly, this is just rumor and may not be true.  However, I have personal knowledge that from time to time he has disclosed very rare and highly prized books that have never been offered for sale.

Any disclosures you feel comfortable sharing?

It did not escape my notice that he kept the Superman 1 from the Billy Wright Atlantic City Collection auction which may be the highest graded cover still extant (interior coupon was clipped).

He obviously could have also stored away some other Wright's, Allentowns, Northfords, D-Copy or Crowley's.

Edited by sfcityduck

29 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Any disclosures you feel comfortable sharing?

It did not escape my notice that he kept the Superman 1 from the Billy Wright auction which may be the highest graded cover still extant (interior coupon was clipped).

He obviously could have also stored away some other Wright's, Allentowns, Northfords, D-Copy or Crowley's.

Someone here once told me he is also hoarding the Bill Barnes 7's. If it goes that deep, it's probably extensive. 

54 minutes ago, Readcomix said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

:gossip: He sold most of his best stuff on the boards yesterday. 

You creamed him on the Cosmo #6 :kidaround:

He'll go to his grave regretting having let that one get away cheap! 

11 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Brulato's collection is mainly SA. 

The OP didn't specify GA or SA.

Anyways, it's a new world.  They might be "just" SA, but at least 1 or 2 of his books would probably go for $1M+. 

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:09 AM, tth2 said:

in terms of comics and not original art, anderson's collection would far and away be the biggest news of all.  one single book, or maybe two single books, could eclipse the value of the entire 1st berk auction.

other collections that would be of great interest would be bangzoom, verzyl and brulato.

the rarehighgrade and adamstrange collections, while perhaps not of the same level in terms of monetary value, would be of immense interest. ;) 

:gossip: .... you forgot to capitalize "immense". GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

A guy I am buying off of in bits here and there seems to have full runs of many Marvel and DC golden age titles, keys included. Possibly there are many such collections around...

Edited by SuperBird

15 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Mile High/Church run of Planet...

20 hours ago, NoMan said:

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Magik Woo auction at HA. I guess some deep in GA would consider his books too pedestrian and commonplace.

I used to think that SA Marvels were common as dirt because I saw so many post 1966. Then one realizes that pre-1966 Marvels are truly scarce especially due to the prevalence of Marvel chipping on early keys and pre-hero Marvels trumped by the insatiable younger generation (compared to GA collectors) demand and active bids. Bottom line is Mister Magik's ASM #14 slabbed 9.8 and upcoming Silver Surfer #4 slabbed 9.8 (or did he say 9.6? can't remember) are above average for 2017.  

2 hours ago, SuperBird said:

A guy I am buying off of in bits here and there seems to have full runs of many Marvel and DC golden age titles, keys included. Possibly there are many such collections around...

I know a guy like that.  Fulls runs of Action, Detective, Batman, Superman, etc.  He's very slowing selling off his runs ... in inverse sequential Order.   He hasn't gotten to the good stuff yet.

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

I used to think that SA Marvels were common as dirt because I saw so many post 1966. Then one realizes that pre-1966 Marvels are truly scarce especially due to the prevalence of Marvel chipping on early keys and pre-hero Marvels trumped by the insatiable younger generation (compared to GA collectors) demand and active bids. Bottom line is Mister Magik's ASM #14 slabbed 9.8 and upcoming Silver Surfer #4 slabbed 9.8 (or did he say 9.6? can't remember) are above average for 2017.  

After reading your post I went to look for the catalogue and look at the ASM #14 9.8. I put it back on top of the bookcase and it fell behind it. I'm not gonna see it again for years. :sorry:

22 minutes ago, NoMan said:

After reading your post I went to look for the catalogue and look at the ASM #14 9.8. I put it back on top of the bookcase and it fell behind it. I'm not gonna see it again for years. :sorry:

I wonder what else might be back there? hm

19 hours ago, atomised said:

thanks for clarifying for this newbie, what a legend the Dentist is (worship)

Being a newbie, you should be made aware that "legend" is not exactly the way many hobbyists would describe him.

20 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

It did not escape my notice that he kept the Superman 1 from the Billy Wright auction which may be the highest graded cover still extant (interior coupon was clipped).

Do you mean the Atlantic City collection?