• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone had to deal with insurance for a CGC shipment?

11 posts in this topic

I've had three packages that have been listed in the tracking as being local and "out for delivery" since 7/23. I've checked with my local post office but they don't know where they are. They're checking with the facility where they were last checked in.

If my packages are lost, what can I expect if I have to go through the insurance to be reimbursed for the value?

It's hard to answer your question because we don't know the particulars.  Since you say it's the first 9.8 on the census, I'm inclined to think these books were coming from CGC. Which means that if the post office is doing the shipping, it is registered mail. 

However, if you bought these books on eBay then need to know what class of mail they were shipped under and how much insured for - and by whom. A lot of eBay shipments are done without insurance OR using eBay's private insurance.  Each of those choices of shipping and insurance would follow a different claims procedures. 

Assuming it's CGC and Registerd mail, your claims process should be relatively straight forward.  Since Registered mail is extremely secure and loss or damage is nearly unheard of (delays are common however) just filing a claim may well spur them along in finding the package.  Your package shows out of delivery. RM has to be signed for. So it probably couldn't be delivered (no one to sign) came back and is locked up somewhere . 

Here is a link to filing a claim along with how long you have to wait 
https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm?#domestic

Here is a link to finding missing mail. If you haven't done this already, you should before filing a claim. 

https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

Edited by Tony S

1 minute ago, Tony S said:

It's hard to answer your question because we don't know the particulars.  Since you say it's the first 9.8 on the census, I'm inclined to think these books were coming from CGC. Which means that if the post office is doing the shipping, it is registered mail. 

However, if you bought these books on eBay then need to know what class of mail they were shipped under and how much insured for - and by whom. A lot of eBay shipments are done without insurance OR using eBay's private insurance.  Each of those choices of shipping and insurance would follow a different claims procedures. 

Assuming it's CGC and Registerd mail, your claims process should be relatively straight forward.  Since Registered mail is extremely secure and loss or damage is nearly unheard of (delays are common however) just filing a claim may well spur them along in finding the package.  Your package shows out of delivery. RM has to be signed for. So it probably couldn't be delivered (no one to sign) came back and is locked up somewhere . 

Here is a link to filing a claim along with how long you have to wait 
https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm?#domestic

Here is a link to finding missing mail. If you haven't done this already, you should before filing a claim. 

https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

They're all coming back from CGC. Three packages containing 72 books, so it's all Registered Priority Mail, but they've been stuck at one location for nearly 2 weeks now (since 7/23). Last Saturday I called the USPS to follow up, since they hadn't moved in a week, according to the tracking. Then I went to my local post office (where I've had to pick up CGC shipments before, because I wasn't home to sign for them), but they weren't there. I spoke to someone from my post office branch on Thursday who said they hadn't left the facility at which they arrived in my city. She didn't exactly confirm that they had them and they were unharmed though. She bumped the case over to their Consumer Affairs department because of the high insured value of the packages. Waiting to hear back, but it concerns me that I don't have them 2 weeks later.

Don't use the USPS @$75 a box to have them mailed to you, go on ups.com and get yourself a ups account number. My last shipment cost me $28.29 to have 21 slabs shipped to me. 

They were shipped out from CGC on a Thursday and I had them in my hand Tuesday afternoon.

Hope USPS finds them, just too many chefs spoiling the pot to deal with the post office as well the overpriced shipping charge, cgc doubles it if you don't use your own shipping account.

Edited by Kevin76

12 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Don't use the USPS @$75 a box to have them mailed to you, go on ups.com and get yourself a ups account number. My last shipment cost me $28.29 to have 21 slabs shipped to me. 

They were shipped out from CGC on a Thursday and I had them in my hand Tuesday afternoon.

Hope USPS finds them, just too many chefs spoiling the pot to deal with the post office as well the overpriced shipping charge, cgc doubles it if you don't use your own shipping account.

Was that $28.29 with insurance?

USPS Registered is a weird beast. I've had artwork held up for a couple of weeks because the guy who handled registered mail was out of the office. I guess no one else had a key? At any rate, I can empathize with your frustration, but I'm sure your stuff should be safe if it's registered. Registered is the safest way USPS ships, everything is done under lock and key every step of the way. If it's not registered, then, uh, I got nothin'.

7 hours ago, F For Fake said:

USPS Registered is a weird beast. I've had artwork held up for a couple of weeks because the guy who handled registered mail was out of the office. I guess no one else had a key? At any rate, I can empathize with your frustration, but I'm sure your stuff should be safe if it's registered. Registered is the safest way USPS ships, everything is done under lock and key every step of the way. If it's not registered, then, uh, I got nothin'.

Yeah registered is great for anything really high dollar. Anyone that touches it needs to sign for it.  

I was freaking out a bit the last 2 days having my comic shipped out via USPS registered mail last Wednesday but seeing no tracking status since the last update of "leaving Tampa on route to destination" on Friday.  I finally got an update today of it arriving in Washington, DC.  After checking USPS's site I read that Registered Mail can typically take up to 14 days due to the stringent requirements in shipping.  If it's been more than 3 day's without a status, go ahead and follow up and see if they can at least confirm where it is and what the hold up is.