• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee's 1st appearance in a comic book?

21 posts in this topic

Hi, does anyone know what comic did Stan Lee 1st appear in? His 1st appearance in a comic book?

I have heard it is "Astonishing #4" issued in 1951 by Atlas Comics. 

Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Krazy Komics 12 has the Timely staff drawn into the Creeper story. That is from 1944. I am almost certain Stan Lee is depicted in that story, but it has been a while since I read it.

Edited by MrBedrock

6 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Wasn't there a book that marvel made Stan pose for the cover?

He is supposedly on Black Rider # 8's cover..... and possibly a couple others that I can't recall..... Stan himself seems to remember the Black Rider shoot. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

21 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

He is supposedly on Black Rider # 8's cover..... and possibly a couple others that I can't recall..... Stan himself seems to remember the Black Rider shoot. GOD BLESS...

Thanks to one of Catrick's awesome sales threads, I was able to get a copy of Black Rider #8 (1).  March 1950 cover.

CGC labels note it as Stan on the cover and I've seen one where he signed the cover "Yes, it's me, Stan Lee" or something like that.

I'm not sure of any other covers he's on.

59868f325fcf5_BlackRider8(1).thumb.JPG.d0b23fbb638b0707fc4691071702e7e5.JPG

I knew I came to the right place.  So far the Krazy Komics #12, 1944, seems to be Stan Lee's 1st Appearance in a comic. 

I'm kind of new to collecting and kind of surprised that it isn't common knowledge, I mean it is Stan Lee who has been appearing in comics for decades. 

Everyone can tell you the issues of Wolverine's 1st Appearance, Spider-Man 1st Appearance, and so many others, but what about Stan Lee?

He has been appearing in comics since the 40's apparently, but is there a definitive issue of Stan's 1st appearance in a comic?

Thanks for the info and pics on the Krazy Komics #12, 1944 so far that seems to be his 1st Appearance.

Also, thank you for the Black Rider #8 image! That should be his first cover on a comic, I suppose. 

Unless anyone knows of an earlier Stan Lee on Cover Comic. 

Thanks everyone!

Edited by jmulli
additions

If you are looking for his first "appearance" as a character in comics it goes all the way back to All Winners #2 in a text story from 1941. 

IMG_1334.thumb.JPG.24707a54b5793f1cbf0380b03d9d611f.JPGIMG_1335.thumb.JPG.3c769f9ce91b02e2a2c1ab3ed37bbfe5.JPG

Before the All Winners Squad formed we had this meeting of heroes along with Stan Lee being a part of a comics story for the first time.

On 8/5/2017 at 4:47 PM, MrBedrock said:

Krazy Komics 12 has the Timely staff drawn into the Creeper story. That is from 1944. I am almost certain Stan Lee is depicted in that story, but it has been a while since I read it.

Didn't Martin Goodman show up in an appearance in #1 also or am I confusing that with something else? I think it had to do with handing out a draft notice or something.

Sergeant Barney Barker, a 3 issue Atlas run, has characters supposedly based on the Atlas Bullpen..... the Sergeant is Stan. At a show a few years ago, Ayers pointed out who some of them were based on, from his admittedly sketchy memory. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

On 8/6/2017 at 4:48 PM, telerites said:

I saw one SS Black Rider 8 by Stan that says - yeah that's me under the mask or something like that.

Somehow along the way, I picked up 3 copies and had one signed

1303141848361.jpg

2006161312461.jpg1301171329141.jpg

hoarder.

3 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Sergeant Barney Barker, a 3 issue Atlas run, has characters supposedly based on the Atlas Bullpen..... the Sergeant is Stan. At a show a few years ago, Ayers pointed out who some of them were based on, from his admittedly sketchy memory. GOD BLESS...

Judge for yourselves:

44222652.bbf93a7d.1024.jpg