• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rawhide Kid 17 on Heritage
2 2

38 posts in this topic

Anyone else follow/see this auction last night? I had what I thought was a respectable bid in although I still expected to get edged out in the live bidding. Not only did I get edged out, but I got smoked...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/western/rawhide-kid-17-marvel-1960-cgc-vf-85-white-pages/a/121732-11612.s?

How high do you think this result elevates the book? And did Heritage make a mistake burying it in a Sunday auction as opposed to the Signature one currently on offer?

20 minutes ago, smithdatura said:

Anyone else follow/see this auction last night? I had what I thought was a respectable bid in although I still expected to get edged out in the live bidding. Not only did I get edged out, but I got smoked...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/western/rawhide-kid-17-marvel-1960-cgc-vf-85-white-pages/a/121732-11612.s?

How high do you think this result elevates the book? And did Heritage make a mistake burying it in a Sunday auction as opposed to the Signature one currently on offer?

That's quite a price:

rhk.thumb.PNG.70cbf0fd4f7672cdd14c836bcbc354df.PNG

I think the scarcity of the grade is the key here - look at the previous sales / grades / dates on Heritage:

rhk2.thumb.PNG.b8747dd543df27bad46257dcea447e57.PNG

And on eBay currently:

rhk3.thumb.PNG.b0c36bf8eb228e75b106c832dbae0fe8.PNG

rhk4.thumb.PNG.4aa7eb12f5e9e38cabfb1b7c4e2f5213.PNG

So an 8.5 appears to be uncommonly rare and the price, therefore, does not surprise me.

I'm looking for a RHK #17 pence printed edition so I can see if it is distributed by L Miller or Thorpe and Porter:

And given that this book now command $10K dollars, I'd also love to know what the significance of the two different 10c price fonts are:

Capture.PNG.a82819614cced99443bcb794b8d70db3.PNG

All in all, an impressive book on so many levels!

Interesting comparison of the pricing variants... but does this mean there are at least three "cents" variants? If you compare the copy sold last night to the three you list above, the "c" is closest to the one on the left, but it's more circular and "squatter" than the one in your photo.

3 minutes ago, smithdatura said:

Interesting comparison of the pricing variants... but does this mean there are at least three "cents" variants? If you compare the copy sold last night to the three you list above, the "c" is closest to the one on the left, but it's more circular and "squatter" than the one in your photo.

Indeed. If you read my thread on the subject we try to establish why the differences exist, and the implications. Are they all first printings? If one were found not to be, how would that affect the price? I've not been able to get much traction on the subject though - people seem oddly disinterested. Maybe as the books with the variations continue to rise, someone will want an explanation. So spread the word - I'm convinced that someone out there has the answer!

1 minute ago, comicnoir said:

Wow! Never noticed this book before. Kirby and Ayers even sign it. Is that the only time?

No. There's tons of pre-hero monster books with both their names on cover and/or splash page.

6 hours ago, smithdatura said:

Like you, I put in a strong bid and woke up to find I hadn't come close.  I also thought the consignor should have been disturbed that the book was in a Sunday auction rather than a Sig auction ... until I saw the outcome.  Hard to believe it would have gone for much more in a Sig auction.  Lately, there seem to be very few bargains in the Heritage Sunday auctions.

Not sure what to make of the outcome.  It's not as if Lee and Kirby weren't already producing a lot of stuff at Marvel, it's not a no. 1 issue (which matters, I think), and collectors just don't treat western heroes as they do super heroes. So, I'm not sure the "first Lee-Kirby Marvel SA hero" thing resonates with many collectors. And, of course, who knows if prices like this might not flush out some more high-grade copies.

Still, I sure wouldn't have minded winning it at the price I bid. :)

5 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Indeed. If you read my thread on the subject we try to establish why the differences exist, and the implications. Are they all first printings? If one were found not to be, how would that affect the price? I've not been able to get much traction on the subject though - people seem oddly disinterested. Maybe as the books with the variations continue to rise, someone will want an explanation. So spread the word - I'm convinced that someone out there has the answer!

I'm not sure if people are uninterested or just don't have anything to add to the discussion.  It is interesting, but will we ever manage to unravel why it occurred? 

Just now, Sqeggs said:

I'm not sure if people are uninterested or just don't have anything to add to the discussion.  It is interesting, but will we ever manage to unravel why it occurred? 

Maybe. If there is someone who knows I'd like to think this is the board to draw them out. Maybe one day the simple answer will turn up. Meanwhile,  know anyone with a pence copy of RHK 17 Sqeggs?

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

Maybe. If there is someone who knows I'd like to think this is the board to draw them out. Maybe one day the simple answer will turn up. Meanwhile,  know anyone with a pence copy of RHK 17 Sqeggs?

I don't, but I imagine that the more publicity Rawhide Kid 17 gets, the more likely it is that a pence copy will surface. 

Just now, Sqeggs said:

I don't, but I imagine that the more publicity Rawhide Kid 17 gets, the more likely it is that a pence copy will surface. 

:wishluck:

It's alone at the top of the CGC census with snow white page quality.  Couple that with it being a Lee and Kirby origin story of Rawhide Kid, and you've got the best copy of one of the two most highly sought after Atlas westerns.

Edited by namisgr

4 minutes ago, namisgr said:

It's alone at the top of the CGC census with snow white page quality.  Couple that with it being a Lee and Kirby origin story of Rawhide Kid, and you've got the best copy of one of the two most highly sought after Atlas westerns.

The other being this fellow, right?

tgk60.thumb.jpg.a1518bce932a9db983df9658ee13bd32.jpg.4e350495c30f3d795d217bb3ed4f9045.jpg

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Like you, I put in a strong bid and woke up to find I hadn't come close.  I also thought the consignor should have been disturbed that the book was in a Sunday auction rather than a Sig auction ... until I saw the outcome.  Hard to believe it would have gone for much more in a Sig auction.  Lately, there seem to be very few bargains in the Heritage Sunday auctions.

Not sure what to make of the outcome.  It's not as if Lee and Kirby weren't already producing a lot of stuff at Marvel, it's not a no. 1 issue (which matters, I think), and collectors just don't treat western heroes as they do super heroes. So, I'm not sure the "first Lee-Kirby Marvel SA hero" thing resonates with many collectors. And, of course, who knows if prices like this might not flush out some more high-grade copies.

Still, I sure wouldn't have minded winning it at the price I bid. :)

Numerically it's not but conceptually it is. Pretty much only thing he has in common with the Atom Age Rawhide Kid is the name, he's completely revamped as a new character, sort of like Showcase #4 Flash vs. the GA Flash.