• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 4 Results
1 1

36 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

No.  It was me.  And I got a bullseye on the second book.  But on the Starwars 107, I saw what I thought were really light creases that looked like remnants of a press.  I guess I was seeing scratches on the case.  

Edit:  I've attached a photo of what I thought was one of the creases that I've circled in red.  There were two of these on the book:

not a crease.jpg

That got me too.

7 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

Or do the nasty emoticons make you want to quit? :baiting:

Family obligations made miss the beginning of the tournament, but I definitely don't miss the psychological torture!  I'm having as much fun playing the home version :banana:

7 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

With what proved to be a difficult round for many, there were some lights that shined brighter than the others.

Before all else, we must give special congrats to the 4 who scored double bulls-eyes, JJJCOMICS, Wipple, Red_Hood, and mr_highgrade.

First place is now shared with one very familiar face, toro, and one who is not really known for winning grading contests (not yet that is....) ,  NinjaSealed.

If you look at the leaderboard, you can see that no one is feeling comfortable right now. With 10 players all within 4 points of first place, the game still belongs to anyone. 

We are inching towards the halfway point of the contest, and with that I have a question for the participants.  Can you do it? Can you finish what you started? Or do the nasty emoticons make you want to quit? :baiting:

Nasty emoticons  ha ha thats a good one !!! :roflmao:

Wow - this slide down is brutal.  I went 1.8 after debating either a 1.5 or 1.8 (the whole front cover is damaged!)  Thought I saw at least 2 spine ticks so went 9.4 but was on the fence between 9.4/9.6.

Slide.gif

12 hours ago, gradejunky said:

HTF is that SW a 9.8?

yeah i guess case scratches.. threw me too.. i was.. uhm a good bit away from 9.8.. i really missed on that one.. but bullseye'd the other one.. but man.. that Star Wars book was my worst miss so far..

At first glance, I thought the SW was a 9.8. But when you enlarge it, there's a tendency to see tiny flaws that are magnified and imagined ones that aren't really there. I still think the top left corner of the front should have kept it from being graded 9.8. While I was wavering between a 9.6 and a 9.8, I played it safe by choosing the lower grade. Wrong move.

On the Strange Adventures #50, I took a gamble and graded it higher than I normally would. I know I usually undergrade on the lower grades, as a lot of guys here do. 

hm         :idea:Grade higher than I normally do.

I cannot believe that Star Wars 107 was a 9.8 the top left front corner and the back right upper corner alone should have knocked it to a 9.4 IMO not to mention the other stuff I thought I saw - but all that matters is that it was a 9.8 ...... I felt really confident about my 9.2 selection

This round begets the conversation...what do you guys and gals think is the more difficult?  Discerning the 9.6 from the 9.8 (HG)?  Or the 1.8 from the 2.0 (LG).  In many ways, I feel more comfortable at the lower level.  Seems the differentiation of the 9.6 vs 9.8 is much more capricious in nature... hm (shrug)

2 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

This round begets the conversation...what do you guys and gals think is the more difficult?  Discerning the 9.6 from the 9.8 (HG)?  Or the 1.8 from the 2.0 (LG).  In many ways, I feel more comfortable at the lower level.  Seems the differentiation of the 9.6 vs 9.8 is much more capricious in nature... hm (shrug)

the nines are definitely the most difficult.  something can look like a 9.0 and be a 9.8 and vice versa.

11 hours ago, trmoore54 said:

High grades are always the hardest, because there's 7 grade-increments from 9.0 to 10 and also because there's so much subjectivity and variability even in CGC graders as to the grade-impact of slight defects and also their cumulative effects on the grade. I had a book once with no less than 10 c-b spine ticks come back 9.6 (shrug)

I still really want to know what that spot in the "S" on the cover of Star Wars was though. :sumo:

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

I still really want to know what that spot in the "S" on the cover of Star Wars was though. :sumo:

Looks like an ink smear.  so, it's a printer's defect and appears to have been not a factor in the grading.

35 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Looks like an ink smear.  so, it's a printer's defect and appears to have been not a factor in the grading.

I know the smudge in the "R" is an ink smear, but the white spot that, to me, looked like a c-b dent in the "S" is what really sunk me on that book.

Just now, jcjames said:

I know the smudge in the "R" is an ink smear, but the white spot that, to me, looked like a c-b dent in the "S" is what really sunk me on that book.

Oh right. Wrong letter.

Looks like a color fleck or something that got into the printing.  No dent there, from what I can see.