• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 5
4 4

180 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, thirdgreenham said:

I would take 1.5 off. 2c 

So 4.5 off for the other small flaws???

23 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

no bulls,but a surprisingly low amount of butthurt.I just couldn't see that Gay getting more than a 3.5 with the 'defacing!'.

Oh well.

It was a really great-looking book EXCEPT for the coloring. Really nice and good PQ.

I'm sorry, this is not fair. I saw this listing and yet I thought that this comic was worth less. Please, in the future, make sure that the comics to be graded are not easily accessible on the census.https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Jo-Jo+Comics&publisher=Fox+Features+Synd.&issue=7&year=1947&issuedate=7%2F47

11 minutes ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

It's a miracle- 1st double for me! Had the gay comic at 5.0 before red marking. 

I put it at around 5ish but the coloring dropped it.

Edited by jcjames

8 minutes ago, Ron C. said:

I'm sorry, this is not fair. I saw this listing and yet I thought that this comic was worth less. Please, in the future, make sure that the comics to be graded are not easily accessible on the census.https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Jo-Jo+Comics&publisher=Fox+Features+Synd.&issue=7&year=1947&issuedate=7%2F47

Yeah that kind of sucks...I have not the time nor inclination to go there, but you have to believe that accounts for at least several bullseyes... :tonofbricks:

14 minutes ago, Michelangelo said:

I was 2.5 on jo-jo and 4.5 on gay

cant seem to hit the nail on the head 

That's what I put too!! I'll take a grade off on each book that's three points a piece... Total of 6 best I did since the first round hahaha

9 minutes ago, Ron C. said:

Well, Ron, the fault really falls on me.  I like to use books in my contests that are either cool, rarely seen, have special defects that will be interesting to see how CGC handles it, and so on and so forth.  From doing this, I'd say that perhaps 6-8 of my 20 books used will have fairly low census numbers.  I will pay closer attention and try to use books that are harder to just look up.

As far as the census checking goes, I cannot control this.  I know that some here (perhaps many) will check the census to see how many graded copies there are out there.  This becomes less of a grading contest and more of a research project.  But, it is one of many tools that people use to ascertain what they think these books grade out as.  I must admit, I have used it too, but only after I've actually graded the book.  

It would be a shame to not be able to use the books that I want to use, but I do see that my choices need a little fine tuning.

Sorry everyone. :foryou: 

4 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

Well, Ron, the fault really falls on me.  I like to use books in my contests that are either cool, rarely seen, have special defects that will be interesting to see how CGC handles it, and so on and so forth.  From doing this, I'd say that perhaps 6-8 of my 20 books used will have fairly low census numbers.  I will pay closer attention and try to use books that are harder to just look up.

As far as the census checking goes, I cannot control this.  I know that some here (perhaps many) will check the census to see how many graded copies there are out there.  This becomes less of a grading contest and more of a research project.  But, it is one of many tools that people use to ascertain what they think these books grade out as.  I must admit, I have used it too, but only after I've actually graded the book.  

It would be a shame to not be able to use the books that I want to use, but I do see that my choices need a little fine tuning.

Sorry everyone. :foryou: 

Nothing to be sorry about 2c I like the old books to me they're easier. I thought we were on the honor system in this contest. (shrug)