• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WINNER ANNOUNCED Pg5!!! Test your Auto Body Appraisal Skills! Win a COMIC PRIZE! NOW WITH CHARITY AUCTION
2 2

95 posts in this topic

Greetings, my parked car was recently the victim of a hit-and-run.  Don't worry, a friendly neighbor got the license plate and the responsible parties have been identified.  But I thought we'd play a game, with a comic prize! 

THE CONTEST

Answer these QUESTIONS:

1.  Do you think the car will be totaled?

2.  If you think the car will NOT be totaled, how much do you think total repairs will be to the car? If you DO think the car will be totaled, what will the salvage value be?

PRIZE:

The copper Captain Atom 1-40 shipped anywhere in the US. (international is fine, but you gotta pay for shipping).

The RULES:

Post a guess in this thread answering both questions, each person gets one guess.  Do not edit your guess post.  The winner will be the person who is closest the actual number (and guesses first, in the event two or more people make the same guess). 

I'm having thing the car towed to the shop on 8/17/17, you have until I receive the information (repair estimate or salvage value) to guess, probably at least a week.  But get your guess in early!

The FACTS:

- The car was broadsided by a car ostensibly in course of a drift in a residential area.  I can't reveal more about the location or the other car as there is an ongoing police report.  But the area is fairly expensive on average.

- Car pictured is a Lancer Sportback 2011, manual.

- Car does start.

- No damage on other side of the car.

- State Farm is the insurer of the driver (and therefore in charge of my repair)

- The middle bar between back and front door has been damaged.

- Chassis is damaged.

- Book value of the car is currently listed at $10,800.

QUESTIONS:

Ask in the thread, I'll decide whether or not I can or should answer.

PICTURES:

In the next post.

Edited by revat

IMG_8394.jpg

IMG_8395.jpg

IMG_8397.jpg

IMG_8398.jpg

IMG_8399.jpg

1.  Do you think the car will be totaled? 

Spoiler

Not totaled.

2.  If you think the car will NOT be totaled, how much do you think total repairs will be to the car? If you DO think the car will be totaled, what will the salvage value be?

Spoiler

Repair cost: $6,000

12 minutes ago, Transplant said:

Were the side impact airbags deployed?

airbags not deployed.

29 minutes ago, revat said:

2.  If you think the car will NOT be totaled, how much do you think total repairs will be to the car?

Are we guessing the insurance estimate or the ACTUAL cost after the car is repaired?

Edited by Timmay

33 minutes ago, MadripoorNights said:

Estimate including rental car fee while being repaired?

rental not included, just the repair of the car.

33 minutes ago, Timmay said:

Are we guessing the insurance estimate or that ACTUAL cost after the car is repaired?

not the insurance estimate, the 'whatever the autobody shop says the price will be'.  I know what MY insurance company (different company than the responsible party) said it will be, but the final body shop amount will be different.

Edited by revat

19 minutes ago, revat said:

not the insurance estimate, the 'whatever the autobody shop says the price will be'. 

edit: not totaled

$8057.25

Edited by Timmay

26 minutes ago, Timmay said:

edit: not totaled

$8057.25

do you want to delete this post and make one with just a guess, I'd prefer not to have edited posts with guesses.  I know you didn't have another guess before this one. 

1.  Do you think the car will be totaled? YES

2.  If you think the car will NOT be totaled, how much do you think total repairs will be to the car? If you DO think the car will be totaled, what will the salvage value be? Insurance will give you $6250 for the car.

Car is a write-off (totalled).

Salvage value: $2750

P.S. sorry about the accident, and hope you will at least get the actual cash value of the car ($10,800).

One question though, I'm curious about the salvage value. Here in Canada the vehicle becomes the property of the insurance company, so this is not something divulged to the insured. Is it different in the U.S., and do you get the cash value, as well as have the option of scrapping the vehicle for parts?

12 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

P.S. sorry about the accident, and hope you will at least get the actual cash value of the car ($10,800).

One question though, I'm curious about the salvage value. Here in Canada the vehicle becomes the property of the insurance company, so this is not something divulged to the insured. Is it different in the U.S., and do you get the cash value, as well as have the option of scrapping the vehicle for parts?

No in the USA if you take salvage value the insurance company takes the vehicle, but you can have an opportunity to buy it back with your salvage value money..... if you think you could fix it yourself or sell it for more than you pay etc. But to answer your question taking salvage the insurance company takes the vehicle 

8 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

in my experience, and it may vary by state, they actually give you an OPTION as to whether or not you want the salvage value or to keep the broken car (aside from the other payments they give you). 

So last time this happened (yes another parked car of mine got blasted, but they left a note!), they totaled the car, gave me the difference between salvage value and book value, and gave me the option to take a check for salvage value or keeping the car.  The autobody mechanic working on my car actually offered me $500 more than the salvage value to buy it from me.  So I essentially kept the car, then sold it to the mechanic for $500 more than I would otherwise have gotten.  He could obviously work on it cheaply and get parts cheaper, and I think eventually sell it or drive it himself.  So everybody wins.

My apologies, I misunderstood the salvage value then.

I've guessed already, but perhaps what I should have been thinking is totalled, and what your payout amount would be (which I would guess higher).

Best of luck in getting what you're owed.