• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage boardie photo

40 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, N e r V said:

Yeah I was going to mention that too. The introduction of Star Wars at the 1976 SDCC a year before the movie is pretty historic now.

For under 2 bucks they had the "Chaykin" Star Wars poster available which is now a grail for original Star Wars posters collectors.

How much does it go for?

19 minutes ago, tth2 said:

How much does it go for?

Depends on the condition. The above is a C9 (Very Fine) and would probably fetch around $3500.00. A C10 (Mint) much higher. Signed copies depending on who signed and how many sigs even higher. C5 to C7 (Good to Very Good) are usually the condition collectors get with posters and C8 to C10 (Fine to Mint) being more along the lines of investment quality posters (this is based on the Jon Warren 10 point grading system). Beware with collecting any movie posters though you either need to be able to tell the difference with fakes,forgeries,replicas and bootlegs or go to a source that can do it for you. Very easy to buy a fake for a lot of money if you don't know what to look for.

Edited by N e r V

12 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I agree it is a great time to get access to material which would take years to get. Two highly recommended purchases for GA/SA collector would be "Monsters" VoL 1 and just released Vo2  which completes the set . Every Kirby cover, story in chronological order...in  jumbo Marvel Monsterbus size...the color and repo are amazing as well a great price on amazon. Second I am reading the Adam Strange Omnibus which is just outstanding in the large format. That is one advantage today....of the course the fun of the "hunt" is gone, but it is a great time to get the best comic book material ever created at affordable prices.

Thanks Mitch! 

I just ordered both of those Kirby Monster Volumes. Too good to pass up. Publishing all of those stories in one place is a superb idea. 

On 20/8/2017 at 6:07 PM, Senormac said:

I purchased a stack of  The Buyers Guide for Comic Fandoms a while back and finally got around to looking through #145 yesterday.  It's  from 1976 and is the San Diego Comic Con report issue.  It has 7 FULL pages of photos and a couple more of text interviews and info all about the show.  Pretty cool .  So, in the middle of the photos of  comic guests, artists and writers like Steranko, Sergio Aragones, Mel Blanc etc. ,  I found a photo of a current boardie holding up a  golden age book.  It made me smile.  I figure GOLD is the best place to post it. 

Here's a sample of a few of the photos with our boardies shot at the bottom.  Can you tell what book it is ?  I'm pretty sure I know 

145%20the%20bg_zpsntxfgd5y.jpg

TBG%20145%20c_zpssc5qbmie.jpg

TBG%20145%20a_zpspmjjzap1.jpg

TBG%20145%20e_zpsztoemv3v.jpg

TBG%20145%20h_zpsd35cmfe9.jpg

TBG%20145%20i_zps2gko3s7r.jpg

TBG%20145%20f_zpsa6vcqc6j.jpg

TBG%20145%20g_zpsd3jvokjg.jpg

TBG%20145%20l_zpsfgpiljey.jpg

and this one......    :smile:

TBG%20145%20m_zpsjtdsldpx.jpg

Hey

Mitch rocks ....!

11 hours ago, Darth Corgi said:

Thanks Mitch! 

I just ordered both of those Kirby Monster Volumes. Too good to pass up. Publishing all of those stories in one place is a superb idea. 

If you think that is great and if you are a Kirby Fan, coming in December from DC is the complete Fourth world by Jack Kirby its...get this 1,536 Pages of all of Jack's DC work in large Omnibus size (new gods, MM etc)...the price is insanely low at $115... If you are a marvel fan the complete Amazing Fantasy set 1-15 is a great buy especially if you like steve ditko from that era.

Edited by Mmehdy

I didn't go to the '76 SDCC but I did go to the '77 show and landed two memorable books.  The first was a beautiful Plastic Man #10 from Chuck R. at Mile High Comics for $70.  A fortune to me  in those days.  A  punky 18 year old kid with a grocery store bagger  job and a car.  I can only assume it was Mile High Plas #10.  I didn't know of such things then, but it was flawless.   sigh    :luhv:

The other book came from a famous Dodger first baseman who was a comic book collector.  Yea.....  Wes Parker had a table at the show and he was really into Disneys.  I managed to pick up a Walt Disneys Comics and Stories #92 from him.  I don't recall the price but  something like $12 comes to mind .

Such a great show for me and my two buddies Jack and Steve.  We rented a room at the El Cortez and stayed all four days. 

Edited by Senormac

Ok..... continuing on in my search through these old copies of The Buyers Guide,  I stopped to admire William Stouts work on a full page ad for The Great American Comic Book Co. in Studio City Ca.   I was browsing issue # 146 from 1976

59d04fde7d904_tbg146.thumb.jpg.cf4e3f357b59fed7dc8ae236e516b098.jpg

59d0503e87b4c_gacbcadtbg146.thumb.jpg.5415834c5895e10fa4b687cb2f10c1e3.jpg

errrr...... back in a few

1 hour ago, Senormac said:

That's when I saw this.  Could it possibly be ??  Did Mitch get into Stouts subconscious ??  lol  lol

GACBC_0001.thumb.jpg.cfd211d29187b38634c5e95e1895f3cf.jpg

59d0561641916_adforgaccb.thumb.jpg.d34504b475f64c737b1b54a66e92a3b0.jpg

mehdy.jpg.1b3c215b9d216d7965014bf8c0faeeb7.jpg

Not Mitch. The guy on the right is David T Alexander. The guy second from the left is Terry Stroud. I believe the tall guy is Bill Stout. Can't remember the rest. Killer store! They got so many collections coming in that they were just stacked in un-sorted piles in the back room. I bought a lot of ECs and pre-code horror from them. Some wild parties too..

the only photo I've seen of David T is from the back pages of Overstreet.  I'll have to go look that up again.  Thanks for the clarification :applause:

17 minutes ago, Senormac said:

The guy on the far left looks like it could be Alan Light (shrug)

I saw Terry Stroud at the flea market today. He told me the guy on the far left is Carl Macek. He was always pretty quiet. I forgot to ask about the blonde guy in the middle. He said the girl was a fan boy fantasy. I do remember hooking up with a few girls at their parties. These guys were the "rock stars" in the LA comic book scene. And damn if they didn't get in a ton of GA and SA collections in those days!

On 10/1/2017 at 12:35 PM, Robot Man said:

I saw Terry Stroud at the flea market today. He told me the guy on the far left is Carl Macek. He was always pretty quiet. I forgot to ask about the blonde guy in the middle. He said the girl was a fan boy fantasy. I do remember hooking up with a few girls at their parties. These guys were the "rock stars" in the LA comic book scene. And damn if they didn't get in a ton of GA and SA collections in those days!

Are you trying to tell me people got laid at comic book store parties?   Mind blown.  ;)

Edited by Bronty

On 9/30/2017 at 10:18 PM, Senormac said:

Ok..... continuing on in my search through these old copies of The Buyers Guide,  I stopped to admire William Stouts work on a full page ad for The Great American Comic Book Co. in Studio City Ca.   I was browsing issue # 146 from 1976

59d04fde7d904_tbg146.thumb.jpg.cf4e3f357b59fed7dc8ae236e516b098.jpg

59d0503e87b4c_gacbcadtbg146.thumb.jpg.5415834c5895e10fa4b687cb2f10c1e3.jpg

errrr...... back in a few

As I remember, the comic listings in their ads were all hand-lettered, unless I'm thinking of somebody else ...

23 hours ago, Bronty said:
On 10/1/2017 at 3:35 PM, Robot Man said:

Are you trying to tell me people got laid at comic book store parties?   Mind blown.  ;)

Bob's not up on the lingo you whippersnappers use. :)

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Bob's not up on the lingo you whippersnappers use. :)

Tomato / tomato Let's just say it didn't actually go on AT the party it'self. I told you guys, these guys were rock stars there were plenty of cute hippie girls at these get togethers. They wern't exactly students of the graphic arts. Also, in those days, comic books we quite popular on college campuses.