• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the Boomers cashing out?
6 6

380 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

In almost every main collectible (coins, cards, comics, stamps) , the young new collectors start with modern stuff but the more they learn and are exposed to the hobby they often gravitate towards vintage material..........

Same path that I followed in the 70s.  At least there's consistency.

It didn't take more than a few years for me to get interested in ECs and GA Eisner Spirit.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Beardown said:

If the boomers were the ones reading and then collecting there childhood superhero's, which I think they were, wouldn't the kids of today growing up watching all of these fantastic movies keep the ball rolling so to speak. 

That is, I'm not sure there is much difference in when or how you fell in love with the characters.  You're still going to look for where they came from, and it's not going to be a collection of dvd's I'm guessing, but rather the books that they were created from.     I think the typical "kid" who learned of these characters through movies will be drawn to the comic books they came from just the same as if you grew up reading the books themselves. 

I disagree. Kids today have no connection to the paper booklets of the 60s and I just can't envision the desire spontaneously manifesting when they hit 30. 

How many of us loved James Bond movies in the 70s and 80s? Probably most of us. And how many suddenly had the desire to collect Ian Fleming's first edition hardbacks from the 50s because we loved the movies so much?

9 minutes ago, stephankeisman said:

when films begin doing  films which  require brain cells. pre '64 books will skyrocket.

Why? Reading those books doesn't require any brain cells. You only really need enough so you don't drool all over the pages and ruin the book.

41 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

if it were Baseball Cards, I would have hoped they jumped out 20 years ago.

The blue chip cards -- Mantle, Mays, Koufax, HOF rookies -- are higher than ever. Everything else is commons. 70s and after.... forget about it unless it's a key.

That said, there seems to be some element of completism left in card collecting... that is, many collectors still try to collect the set for that year.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

I disagree. Kids today have no connection to the paper booklets of the 60s and I just can't envision the desire spontaneously manifesting when they hit 30.

Even those interested in collecting comics will only have a general historical connection to those books, rather than the personal connection that caused prices to rise as Boomers tried to buy back their childhoods and/or complete their collections.

8 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Why? Reading those books doesn't require any brain cells. You only really need enough so you don't drool all over the pages and ruin the book.

lazy boy ....indeed. Study History tons of it ! and so much more to understand  why the present is what the future might be . Context is everything when  giving something value! many SA comics stories are regarded by young collectors as very boring! Context! Context! C0ntext! 

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Not really. They are only just beginning to do so.

When the majority are cashing out, you'll know.

Absolutely not. There is no way the market will be able to cope with both the removal of their demand and the increase from their supply. Prices have increased too much over the years for that to happen.

It's not the (mostly) low value low/mid-grade non-keys that will be impacted the most. The largest impact will be on the higher value stuff, especially that which has dramatically increased in price in the recent past.

I get what you are saying, but looking at the top graded key books in many cases there is not a lot of inventory.  I think there are enough people that would buy up the key books. Even when the movies end there is a lot to be said about Disney keeping their property's relevant. I also agree that newer printed copies are dwindling in print runs, but with all of these upcoming streaming deals I think someone has to say: the new issues could eventually end up as new episodes.  I also think that this could actually be the begging of popularity and price appreciation for major keys.  I think our beloved comic characters are more main stream and accepted than ever! I do think that more people than ever are actually investing in comic books as opposed to actual collecting . time will tell.

I'm probably gonna get 1/4 of what I paid for 'em when I cash out. Always works out that way for me. 

I'm haven' fun now so who gives a care. And unless I'm in dire straights not gonna sell the books and they're just gonna get willed to kid who is friends of the family who seems about as interested in, heck, he doesn't seem interested in anything.

and my wife isn't yelling at me now. so it's all good:banana:

Edited by NoMan

36 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

There are still completest collectors but less and less.  We've seen this trend for years as mid grade and mid run issues are tough to sell for anywhere near guide.

Professional grading and the internet have essentially reduced a comic to it's front and back cover, and it's grade.  The interior becomes almost meaningless when it's sealed in plastic or when you view just the front cover online.  That's lead to strong prices for classic covers and high grade copies..

Sometimes it's as if they are really large trading cards that I like to open up and smell.   The fact that the stories don't move me near as much as they did when I was a kid is just a part of growing up.  There simply isn't any comic as good as A Song of Ice and Fire or other great literature.  That's OK though.  I still appreciate them now, just for different reasons.  There is nothing like soaking up the look and feel of a fresh plump non-pressed SA book with a great color strike and supple paper quality.  I picked up a raw high grade FF 30 today for that very reason.  Not a story I'm interested in or a key issue by any stretch, but it was just so well preserved and at a reasonable price so I had to have it.  Essentially, I can appreciate the beauty and quality of that book in a way that a young kid buying for the first time never could, much like a young kid who read that story right when it was picked up off a newsstand appreciated it in a way I never will be able to.   

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I'm probably gonna get 1/4 of what I paid for 'em when I cash out. Always works out that way for me. 

I'm haven' fun now so who gives a care. And unless I'm in dire straights not gonna sell the books and they're just gonna get willed to kid who is friends of the family who seems about as interested in, heck, he doesn't seem interested in anything.

and my wife isn't yelling at me now. so it's all good:banana:

Probably accurate forecast for low/mid-grade commons.

But people have for at least a decade been projecting a dire drop in comic book demand as baby boomers retire, and die off, and as a long-time market observer/punter, just as often when something becomes popular consensus the forecasts turn out to be universally wrong (the commodity price bubble that burst about a decade ago, at the time, had near-universal consensus by "professionals" that e.g. light sweet oil would never see below 60 bbl again).  The "movie boom" will be quoted as the reason common knowledge proved wrong the past decade, and nobody knows for sure what might be the next excuse for "oops, my bad."

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Hollywood will be largely done with comic book movies that have led to a huge boom over the last 10 years, and the core Silver Age collectors (currently in their late 40s/early 50s) will begin to retire.

yeah, hollywood will definitely stop making comic book movies, they will get so tired of raking in all that money. just like people got so tired of all those star wars movies!

Edited by www.alexgross.com

11 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:
5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Hollywood will be largely done with comic book movies that have led to a huge boom over the last 10 years, and the core Silver Age collectors (currently in their late 40s/early 50s) will begin to retire.

yeah, hollywood will definitely stop making comic book movies, they will get so tired of raking in all that money. just like people got so tired of all those star wars movies!

Edited 1 minute ago by www.alexgross.com

They still make Star Wars movies?  I haven't seen one in about 15-20 years.

8 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

yeah, hollywood will definitely stop making comic book movies, they will get so tired of raking in all that money. 

You know, logically, you'd think the superhero movies would fade out, but I don't know, man. In the early 00s when reality shows really started to become popular I thought, "This s@#t is so stupid it can't possibly last."  And look today:  REALITY TEEVEE IS NEVER GOING TO STOP. 

Unfortunitely, the superhero movies will be here until we all die.