• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AS #1 CGC 6.5/X-Men #1 CGC 1.8 stolen
4 4

50 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2017 at 0:18 PM, s14roller said:

Sorry to hear this happened.  Also seems kind of odd someone came by 30 min after to go into the package?  Has this person had packages stolen before?  When you say video shows someone tearing into the box and taking the comics, do you mean he/she actually stayed on-site to do this instead of just taking the box and running?  Would seem odd if so...

I agree, this sounds like a 'team effort', like the thief knew it was there. I wonder if there is some technicality if the package was opened instead of taken. Analogous to the old 'it's not hot, it fell of the truck'. Sorry to hear this. I hate these kind of stories.

Hope this twit thief get caught soon.  In video, I can see the way he stopped and stood. He was casting the view around to be sure it was good to go back to check out the parcel up on the stairs. He obliviously spotted it as he walked by. :censored:

FedEX is also be blamed for leaving the parcel on the top of stairs. Open for anyone to steal. doh!  Unreal ...

Good thing you have the serial numbers of the slabs to notify the cops and auction houses. Hard for him to try sell. 

4 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Good thing you have the serial numbers of the slabs to notify the cops and auction houses. Hard for him to try sell. 

That can be a good or a bad thing.  If he's dumb, then it might help catch him.  Unfortunately it's far more likely that the comics will be removed from the holder and he'll attempt to sell them raw.   The harder they are to sell, or likely they are to get him caught, the more likely it becomes he'll just burn the evidence and move on.  The best chances of the books surviving is if he wanted them for himself, he knows how to sell on dark web markets, or he has a private collector that he knows will buy them from him without asking questions.

3 minutes ago, AdamAnt said:

That can be a good or a bad thing.  If he's dumb, then it might help catch him.  Unfortunately it's far more likely that the comics will be removed from the holder and he'll attempt to sell them raw.   The harder they are to sell, or likely they are to get him caught, the more likely it becomes he'll just burn the evidence and move on.  The best chances of the books surviving is if he wanted them for himself, he knows how to sell on dark web markets, or he has a private collector that he knows will buy them from him without asking questions.

Maybe , maybe not. How is his skills in opening slab holders? Chances are high he may damage the ASM 1 while trying to break open the holder.  And then there is the X-Men book at 1.8 ... it has good defects easily identified if it is removed out of its holder. All I can do is speculate, for now wait and see the aftermath as it comes. 

17 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

This is why I have a PO Box and stay on the night shift so I can be home for any UPS/FED Ex deliveries. Hope they catch this guy, I'm sure this isn't the first time he's done this. Just another porch pirate.  

porch punk

On 9/2/2017 at 5:16 PM, Fan Boy said:

Hope this twit thief get caught soon.  In video, I can see the way he stopped and stood. He was casting the view around to be sure it was good to go back to check out the parcel up on the stairs. He obliviously spotted it as he walked by. :censored:

FedEX is also be blamed for leaving the parcel on the top of stairs. Open for anyone to steal. doh!  Unreal ...

Pretty smart.  Walked by and  spotted the parcel.  Rather than walking up and grabbing the box and taking off he sat down on the step - there's no law against sitting on a step to rest-  and checked out the package.  Once he feels the coast is clear he takes off.

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, Fan Boy said:

Pretty smart.  Walked by and  spotted the parcel.  Rather than walking up and grabbing the box and taking off he sat down on the step - there's no law against sitting on a step to rest-  and checked out the package.  Once he feels the coast is clear he takes off

he probably learned it from television

Yeah.  That really sucks.

I know this isn't always possible, but with books of that value, and with full tracking and transit data available days in advance and throughout the delivery chain--including the estimated day & time of delivery--I always try to be at home myself to receive the package if I can, or make sure that someone is home and is on the lookout for it.

Drivers and delivery personnel can't always be trusted to do the right thing, which is why--fair or not--as a general rule I don't trust them to do it at all.

In any case, that doesn't excuse the thief, nor the crummy driver.  I hope they both get what's coming to them...!