• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MF73 CGC 9.4 Mile High
3 3

150 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Pretty funny if I hated the date code on Church books. I would have to sell a few.

:takeit:

No, I'll take them as long as Richard puts in a good hefty discount for all that nasty writing on the cover.  (thumbsu

Being the nice guy that I am, I wouldn't want you to be saddled with all of those books with defaced covers.  lol

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

No, I'll take them as long as Richard puts in a good hefty discount for all that nasty writing on the cover.  (thumbsu

Being the nice guy that I am, I wouldn't want you to be saddled with all of those books with defaced covers.  lol

If I remember right Richard took most out of the slabs hm I would need him to pay me to have them reholdered plus shipping :makepoint: You hear that Richard :fear:

18 hours ago, woowoo said:
19 hours ago, lou_fine said:

If I remember right Richard took most out of the slabs hm I would need him to pay me to have them reholdered plus shipping :makepoint: You hear that Richard :fear:

hm

Here is another interesting case in the same vein.  Right now, Comic Link has the Mile High More Fun 43 in CGC 8.0 Blue label with minor color touch and minor glue and OW/W pages. But.... same book sold on Heritage in 2004 graded CGC 9.2 Purple label Slight Resto with small amount color touch and tear seal to cover and OW pages.  So what happened?  You'd think if someone removed or downgraded the resto it would be more obvious.  And how do you go from 9.2 to 8.0?  I can't see any major differences.  Is it as simple as having a tear seal removed?  And did the grading get tougher or easier? Thoughts?

Links:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D19%23Item_1195440&id=1195440&itemType=0

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/more-fun-comics-43-mile-high-pedigree-dc-1939-cgc-apparent-nm-92-slight-p-off-white-pages-the-intrepid-young-lad-on/a/809-3086.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

more funs1.jpg

1 hour ago, mwotka said:

Here is another interesting case in the same vein.  Right now, Comic Link has the Mile High More Fun 43 in CGC 8.0 Blue label with minor color touch and minor glue and OW/W pages. But.... same book sold on Heritage in 2004 graded CGC 9.2 Purple label Slight Resto with small amount color touch and tear seal to cover and OW pages.  So what happened?  You'd think if someone removed or downgraded the resto it would be more obvious.  And how do you go from 9.2 to 8.0?  I can't see any major differences.  Is it as simple as having a tear seal removed?  And did the grading get tougher or easier? Thoughts?

Links:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D19%23Item_1195440&id=1195440&itemType=0

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/more-fun-comics-43-mile-high-pedigree-dc-1939-cgc-apparent-nm-92-slight-p-off-white-pages-the-intrepid-young-lad-on/a/809-3086.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

more funs1.jpg

Might be the effect of removing the tear seal.  Is there a bit of red missing from around the "No." on the CLink copy?  Possibly scraped off ct? Hard to tell from the scans. In any event, the CLink copy is a spiffy looking 8.0.

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
5 hours ago, mwotka said:

And how do you go from 9.2 to 8.0?  I can't see any major differences.  Is it as simple as having a tear seal removed?  And did the grading get tougher or easier? Thoughts?

Might be the effect of removing the tear seal.  Is there a bit of red missing from around the "No." on the CLink copy?  Possibly scraped off ct? Hard to tell from the scans. In any event, the CLink copy is a spiffy looking 8.0.

+1

I believe you would be correct here as it is quite normal for a book to be downgraded once you remove the resto.  After all, isn't the purpose of having a book restored is to "fix" the defect and hence to hopefully improve the overall grade of the book?  (thumbsu

Of course, it could also be within CGC's acceptable grading margin of error as I still remember reading a BA thread whereby a CGG 9.2 copy of X-Men 94 was resubmitted and came back as a CGC 8.0 copy and another initially graded CGC 8.0 book came back as a CGC 7.0 copy after the resubmit.  That was sometime last year when it look like the other company was finally making inroads in terms of market share and I believe also around the time the new grading teams came into place.  hm  :facepalm:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, jason327 said:

But if I'm wrong about something, I admit it.  I might be wrong about that 'finalizer' thing.  Because the only times I called CGC to check on a book's grade, it happened to be where all 3 graders were within a half-point of each other, and it went to the majority.  I never had an instance where a finalizer overruled them or where there was big disagreement.

That's how most grades go since they're all pretty good graders.  But they're right, they've had 3 graders then one finalizer pretty far back in their history, right from the start as far as I know.  Dig hard enough and you'd definitely find posts here in these forums where we talked about that back in 2002 and 2003.

1 minute ago, jason327 said:

But is there a finalizer for the best books?  Like a top Golden Age key?  Or in this case, would they have 3 top guys grading it and take majority rule?

I'm unaware of any exceptions to using a finalizer.  But you seem to be implying the finalizer adds some kind of inaccuracy that they would want to avoid on top books--what makes you think that?  The finalizer is a good step in that he can just take the majority or average of the three graders if he wants, but if he sees something they may have missed, he can override it.

I've always wondered how often there is verbal communication there is between the finalizer and the three graders.  Ideally you'd be able to trace some of what went into the finalizer's decision based upon the written grading notes, but I bet some or most of their interaction is verbal and never makes it into the notes.

On 9/6/2017 at 10:33 AM, VintageComics said:

A better way of saying it is that the addition of glue or CT does not improve the grade and therefore is not trying to restore it to a better, previous condition.

Regarding the topic of of glue or CT noted on a Blue Label, I saw this example of a trimmed comic noted on a Blue label. While I realize this is an obvious QC error it occurred to me that a notation of Glue or CT on a Blue Label could also be a QC error. How would you know for sure ?

s-l1600.jpg