• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MF73 CGC 9.4 Mile High
3 3

150 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, nearmint said:

Not sure why you think the spine looks bad.  If you're looking at what looks like dark shadowing along the spine, that's just a shadow in the scan, it's not on the book itself.

34 minutes ago, nearmint said:
  • RADD56B62017830_5176.jpg

YES SPINE LOOKS BENT AND CHIP MISSING TOP.

10 minutes ago, woowoo said:

YES SPINE LOOKS BENT AND CHIP MISSING TOP.

There is writing on the cover in the top left too. And a page looks like it is loose and hanging out of the bottom. And it is misprinted with the issue number having stuff printed over the top. And miscut too...see how everything is slanted down on the right. And obviously it was pressed, just look at the pages sticking out of the side. And the scuff marks in the logo. And don't get me started on the dust shadow up and down the spine. And this is just the front cover. But from what is going on here on the front it is obvious that there must be heavy creasing and probably chunks missing from the back cover. Based on this scan I wouldn't be surprised if the back cover is replaced from another book altogether...looks like a Fawcett back cover to me. CGC, and especially that Matt Nelson fella, screws up AGAIN! doh!

8 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

There is writing on the cover in the top left too. And a page looks like it is loose and hanging out of the bottom. And it is misprinted with the issue number having stuff printed over the top. And miscut too...see how everything is slanted down on the right. And obviously it was pressed, just look at the pages sticking out of the side. And the scuff marks in the logo. And don't get me started on the dust shadow up and down the spine. And this is just the front cover. But from what is going on here on the front it is obvious that there must be heavy creasing and probably chunks missing from the back cover. Based on this scan I wouldn't be surprised if the back cover is replaced from another book altogether...looks like a Fawcett back cover to me. CGC, and especially that Matt Nelson fella, screws up AGAIN! doh!

Can't trust Matt as far as we can throw him !

9 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Can't trust Matt as far as we can throw him !

I threw him about eight feet once. Couldn't trust him then either.

18 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I DRINK TO THAT

th.jpg

15 hours ago, jason327 said:

Well yeah....obviously I meant CGC grading was more strict in the past.  The whole cleaning & pressing thing has gotten me worried.  You really have to do your homework now.  I like to stick to more reliable comics.

I know people like to believe this but CGC has swung between loose and tight grading since it's opened it's doors.

15 hours ago, jason327 said:

Once again, let me clear-up misconceptions on CGC notes (like glue, color touch).  As well as page-quality.  These are NOT in addition to the grade.  These are not downgrades or upgrades.  These are factored into the grade.  They're just noted separately, for informative purposes.  No different than creases, stains....it's all factored into the number grade.

If I'm not mistaken, the CT or glue on a blue label is treated as a defect, and yes it is factored into the grade.

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I know people like to believe this but CGC has swung between loose and tight grading since it's opened it's doors.

But on average it was tighter during the old label days.   

On 9/4/2017 at 8:40 PM, tth2 said:
On 9/4/2017 at 3:36 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

If it were graded today, I think the results would be different. 

I don't think so.

I don't think so, either.  The numerical grade might change, but I don't think there's any way this one would come back as a PLOD.

On 9/7/2017 at 11:02 AM, batman_fan said:
On 9/7/2017 at 8:17 AM, G.A.tor said:

the 9.4 flash ashcan sold for $27,177

Well that's close to $1million give or take. 

Certainly as close as I'll ever get! :)

On 9/5/2017 at 1:40 AM, mwotka said:
On 8/31/2017 at 7:37 PM, Mutie Fan said:

Did he actually write Church like codes on the books?!?  

I'd appreciate an answer to this question as well.

No first-hand knowledge, but that's the story.

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't think so, either.  The numerical grade might change, but I don't think there's any way this one would come back as a PLOD.

Maybe you are right. To save any controversies, chances are both the grade and the Universal designation would stay the same. Still, I would not buy this book for the sole reason of an upgrade.