• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on NM collecting
2 2

84 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

seems like you are missing a key step here-- reading/enjoying the books

Did you mean me? No the variants were special covers, I bought the regular cover to read, and also I wanted to see if I could get 9.8s by buying from the LCS..... to know for myself in order to answer questions such as the one asked etc. I stated earlier in the thread that I read/enjoyed the comic so I didn't think you meant me :shy:

8 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

If he meant me thats all I do.  Never had a book graded never intend to.  I read em.

14 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Actually I don't think I read the Batman 1 rebirth because they weren't selling the original with the variants and I forgot about it...

:sorry:

What ever you do WHAT EVER YOU DO do not read Batman Odyssey!!!  Keep all writing implements out of Neal Adams hands!!!!!! I read the Spectre books he did and I was like WTH????  WTH am I reading????  Did a little kid write this???  No it was Neal....

Edited by kav

50 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

This is going to sound silly to some but I much prefer reading high grade copies than low grade copies. Always did.

8 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

This is going to sound silly to some but I much prefer reading high grade copies than low grade copies. Always did.

Me too.  Less cooties. :banana:

4 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

What era are you collecting?  If you're collecting modern, a 9.4 would be considered low grade.  If you're collecting golden age books, a 6.0 would be considered high grade.

Ummmm....no.

Grade doesn't fluctuate on the era.

A 6.0 in any era will always be a mid grade book.

Jim

Wouldnt a 6.0 modern be considered low grade for the era but a high grade for the GA?

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

C'mon now ! :baiting:

well if I had a 6.0 modern I wouldnt be happy with the grade but if I had a 6.0 GA I would be very happy with the grade is all I'm sayin.

13 minutes ago, kav said:

well if I had a 6.0 modern I wouldnt be happy with the grade but if I had a 6.0 GA I would be very happy with the grade is all I'm sayin.

But a person who collects high grade GA wouldn't be happy with a 6.0, unless it doesn't exist in a grade higher.  So it still doesn't make it high grade, just the highest grade known to exist.

And off to bed as I made my own head just spin.

Jim

1 minute ago, Guardian Comics said:

But a person who collects high grade GA wouldn't be happy with a 6.0, unless it doesn't exist in a grade higher.  So it still doesn't make it high grade, just the highest grade known to exist.

And off to bed as I made my own head just spin.

Jim

lol yep

I've seen 9.0 and 9.2's that are supremely nice.

I might request 9.4 or better when I'm looking for stuff from people to hedge against possible grading differences between us.

Lower grades are an option when certain books are just priced to high or hard to come by in any grade.

Moderns in my opinion should be 9.4 or better unless they are mishandled.

Judge the book in hand if you can.

Happy collecting!

I don't really collect to many moderns, with some keys being the exception.  A general rule is that I'll buy the highest grade I can afford at the time.  If I really want a higher grade I'll just buy less books for a period of time and save up for it.

If I had a personally scale I'd use:

Moderns - 9.2 - 9.8
Bronze - 8.5 - 9.6
Silver - 6.0 - 8.5 (Big Keys I'd look between a 2.0 - 5.0)
Gold - I'll take almost any grade....

For me, grading and slabbing is only important for books I'm going to sell. I only care about 9.8's when I want to get 9.8 money for a book.

For my personal collection, I just get a book that I'm happy with. The difference in a 9.6 and a 9.8 can be so miniscule, that when I'm buying it just for ME, I'm happy to get the nicest copy I can at a price I want to pay. And with very few exceptions (my Aliens set, which I DID chase in 9.8, and now it's done!) I'm content to have a really sharp looking book in a mylar and fullback, slab and little white sticker grade be damned.

Edited by F For Fake

14 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Free yourself of that grade in the upper left corner.

I can't.  If there's a non 9.8 book in my collection it doesn't feel right(shrug).

I've tried the "buy NM, submit, and hope it come back 9.8" route.  The cost didn't bother me as much as the disappointment of getting a book back in a lower grade.

Now if I want a 9.8 I'm buying it CGC graded instead of submitting.

***As stated previously, this is obviously relegated to Copper and Modern age...I ain't a millionaire:preach:

I only collect what I read / am nostalgic of from my childhood, which is copper/modern from 80s/90s. As such, I aim for 9.6 or 9.8. When I buy books raw, I look for 9.8 candidates (and are okay paying around slabbed 9.6 prices less grading fees, give or take, with the idea that if it comes back 9.6 I'll break even). I only do this with keys.

I have around 7 regular titles that I read and pickup weekly on Wednesdays from my LCS. For those, I do try to get the mintiest copies available, read 'em once, and then leave 'em in bags/boards, but 99% chance they'll be worthless drek, so I'm not as anal about whether they're 9.8's or not.