• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40 years of Edgar Church/Mile High copies
1 1

338 posts in this topic

Was discussing the Church collection with a rare book seller.  She was fascinated with it all.  Her words were interesting to me:

Wow! I am so intrigued. Thanks for sharing this. I only had time to read through to the end of the Mile High story, but I can't wait to read more. It actually does mimic the book collectors world a little bit in that pedigree can affect desirability. Usually because of the eye and taste of the collector themselves. This is such a fascinating story because the condition of the books relied so much on the original collector's instinct to leave them alone. Was it disinterest? Once he'd leafed through them and had gotten the information he needed for figure studies, did the stories themselves hold no more interest so could be relegated to an untouched compressed stack for decades? It's so strange that the original collector preserved them so well because he wasn't prone to looking at them! And now they're desirable because his inattention kept them pristine. I think it would take some great willpower to own one and never open it. If the colors are as sharp and bright as they say, if the pages are as supple, how could a true fan not want to flip through it daily?! I guess that's the difference between a fan and a collector. Like those guys who buy toys and never unbox them. Really interesting stuff, Kav.  I'll read the rest when I get a chance.

The key here is Edgar Church was not a fan.  He had no interest at all in the comic stories.  I would venture to say he never read a single comic book.  He saw them as illustration resources.  A handy time saver for his job.  He kept them in case he ever needed them.  It wasnt that he was trying to keep them in prisitine collection he probably wouldnt have cared if they got roughed up as long as he could see the images for his work.  It was just a strange series of events that allowed this collection to survive.  a guy who bought every single comic book every single month and was a bit fussy and didnt throw things out, a family that wanted them gone, and of course chuck rozanski.
Here are some examples of his commercial illustration work:

Yes, exactly! I can definitely see the comic influence in his art. Its just funny to me that his indifference to them actually benefitted true fans. It's kind of the perfect combination. And since he wasn't really passionate about them, there's also no great desire for the family to hold onto them, so the books could get into the hands of someone who could appreciate them. It's what we as booksellers dream of! 

On 8/31/2017 at 7:46 AM, Timely said:

And here is a picture of Edgar Church at the drawing board.  Also is a picture of Edgar Church's house where the collection was stored.

church.jpg

churchhouse.jpg

I'd seen his house but I do not recall ever seeing his picture before. Posting again for those who have never seen The Man, The Legend.

I always find it interesting when people make definitive statements about what any historical figure was thinking based upon his actions (in this case, Edgar Church).  The fact is, no one knows why he collected all of those books for all of those years, not even his descendants.  There are some indications that he did look at them (having looked at his illustration work and how it evolved over the years).  For all anyone knows, he carefully read each one when it came out and put it away.  Or didn't.  It's not something that is knowable.

What I do know, is what Chuck R. says happened when he purchased the books and that the books are in remarkably fresh condition.  I take the former with a grain of salt and I'm thankful for the latter.  Everything else is just idle speculation.  2c

On 8/31/2017 at 5:46 AM, Timely said:

And here is a picture of Edgar Church at the drawing board.  Also is a picture of Edgar Church's house where the collection was stored.

church.jpg

churchhouse.jpg

This might be what the family of the “Promise Collection” is trying to prevent...

On 12/16/2021 at 10:33 PM, aardvark88 said:

29 minutes of Chuck's hyperbole and back story to Edgar Church collection:

11:37

"You also have to clean out the closet." :bigsmile:

In retrospect, the most remarkable sentence ever uttered to any comic collector, ever. Akin to saying, "You also have to clean out Tutankhamun's tomb." 

On 12/18/2021 at 7:10 AM, Sarg said:

You don't see pre-1940 Church books posted very often, except the DCs that RareHighGrade has. Any theory as to why that is?

You'd have to look through the original Mile High catalog or database to verify, but I suspect quite a few exist in collections.  My Church 'Tec #18 is from 1938, but it's also DC. 

On 12/18/2021 at 8:10 AM, Sarg said:

You don't see pre-1940 Church books posted very often, except the DCs that RareHighGrade has. Any theory as to why that is?

If you remove DC from the mix, there aren't a lot of pre-1940s comics period (mostly Dells). Famous Funnies, Super, some Features, King, etc.  of the few hundred total books that qualify they turn up in about the same frequency as any other specific items from an 18,000 book collection.