• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGX Reputation Rehab?
3 3

235 posts in this topic

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:53 PM, chrisco37 said:

This is true.  When PGX first came on the scene, there were some boardies that did that sort of comparison; have the same book graded by both companies.  In many cases, the CGC graded out higher. 

Naturally, once PGX was caught pulling (multiple) shenanigans, they were rightfully "tossed to the side".  Their integrity was compromised multiple times, in multiple scenarios.  Grading consistency was, in the grand scheme of things, a "minor" problem with them. 

+1 (thumbsu

The reason I brought up the whole grading comparison is that I thought many people felt PGX's Silver Age grading was as strict as CGC's.  I happened to find that PGX 4.5 for sale online and decided to compare it to my only CGC 4.5.  The comparison may not have been a great one, but how did that book find it's way into a 4.5 holder? :sick: 

PGX asm 4.jpg

5 minutes ago, mosconi said:

+1 (thumbsu

The reason I brought up the whole grading comparison is that I thought many people felt PGX's Silver Age grading was as strict as CGC's.  I happened to find that PGX 4.5 for sale online and decided to compare it to my only CGC 4.5.  The comparison may not have been a great one, but how did that book find it's way into a 4.5 holder? :sick: 

PGX asm 4.jpg

The book looks like a 3.5 but the  comparison was not that good

3 hours ago, kav said:

What about @gino2paulus2 selling a raw book with missing pages vs the PGX slabbed version as 'complete'?  More reliable to buy that slab?

I'm not familiar with this incident nor do I understand what you are saying, I think you may have a typo ? But assuming a PGX slabbed book had missing pages, okay, I'm sure it happens. I'm not saying I like PGX, nor would I ever submit to them. I'm just saying you can sometimes pick up a bargain with a PGX slab, with probably less risk than many raw E-Bay offerings. 

17 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm not familiar with this incident nor do I understand what you are saying, I think you may have a typo ? But assuming a PGX slabbed book had missing pages, okay, I'm sure it happens. I'm not saying I like PGX, nor would I ever submit to them. I'm just saying you can sometimes pick up a bargain with a PGX slab, with probably less risk than many raw E-Bay offerings. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/421666-pgx-reputation-rehab/?page=8&tab=comments#comment-9920461

On 9/15/2017 at 8:41 PM, chrisco37 said:

Bingo.  And that's what I was envisioning when I initially responded.  I was stuck in traffic on my last response, so didn't have time to elaborate.  A separate slab for the "slab only" option.  Probably would cost them some bucks up front to create a new mold for that purpose.  Not sure it's "worth it" to them.  Even at $5 to slab the book, by the time you have to/return shipping, you're looking at $15-20/book to slab.  A mylar and two fullbacks will run you what, $3-5? 

In any case, the new slab doesn't spread like the old ones did.  And, I think, the label is inserted into the inner well now.  It's more "tamper proof" now than ever. 

Ultra pro has rigid, magnetic, comic holder slabs for about $10 (probably not news here) but I have only seen them for current size books.  Seems like what you are talking about sans the cgc interaction. 

1 minute ago, kav said:

I hate stories of gaming the system like that. No argument from me that PGX is suspect. I'm not defending PGX in any way, just saying there are some bargains out there. If I buy a PGX slab, I usually always crack it out. Over the years, I have resubbed maybe a half dozen books to CGC. These would have been books that looked exceptionally good to me and under graded. I think I had one that went down and the rest all went up with no cleaning or pressing. As someone else mentioned, their grading isn't bad. It's just that they miss stuff and their integrity is suspect.  

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I hate stories of gaming the system like that. No argument from me that PGX is suspect. I'm not defending PGX in any way, just saying there are some bargains out there. If I buy a PGX slab, I usually always crack it out. Over the years, I have resubbed maybe a half dozen books to CGC. These would have been books that looked exceptionally good to me and under graded. I think I had one that went down and the rest all went up with no cleaning or pressing. As someone else mentioned, their grading isn't bad. It's just that they miss stuff and their integrity is suspect.  

I think the higher the value of a book, the more risk you are taking with PGX.  Imagine a PGX Action #1.  Everyone's first thought would be uh-

1 minute ago, kav said:

I think the higher the value of a book, the more risk you are taking with PGX.  Imagine a PGX Action #1.  Everyone's first thought would be uh-

Absolutely. If I buy a PGX book it will definitely be in the  50 - 100 dollar category. 

45 minutes ago, kav said:

There is a copy graded its 9.0 E The guy wanted a mil for it on ebay years ago.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:03 PM, mosconi said:

Hey Steve, I started a topic on their infamous Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko "signature series" book's about a year ago :facepalm: 

You may have missed it, but buyer beware:

RAD9FAF12016927_155725.jpg

Found this thread and post while tooling around. Nobody ever saw Steve Ditko or Stan Lee sign this cover. If either one of them were even near this book, neither one was aware of it. Fraud at its lowest.

And this one is garbage also. Signed by the same hand that forged the AS 31. Same handwriting. A ridiculous Ditko and an even more blatantly fake Lee. Whomever is slabbing these as authentic signatures rather than "names written on the cover" is as culpable as the one forging them.

DitkoLeeFraud.jpg

OK. The game afoot is fairly transparent. The PGX signature series books bearing the time and place that the signature was witnessed by PGX appear, for the most part, to be proper. Authentic. The ones that don't bear a time and place where they were signed appear, for the most part, to be forged, like these two fraudulently authenticated dreck above, both the 9 and the 31, all four signatures that can be seen written by the same hand, even the same marker on the 9. They're either forged and the authenticator knows it, or he hasn't a clue unless he sees the pen go on from the artist/creator himself. At any rate, anyone who would give credence to and legitimize these signatures above has no earthly business authenticating autographs, they have as much business doing so as the blind.

It's ironic too, because some fool might authenticate the Ditko by rationalizing, "well, the Lee is good so maybe the weight of the Lee will pull the legitimacy of the Ditko through on the Lee's merits, and the opposite is true. The forged Lee, by the same hand, and in the case of the 9, the same pen as the Ditko only reinforces that they're both forgeries, making that fact even more apparent! :makepoint:

Of note, regarding the back cover Kirby signature: I've never seen a genuine Kirby autograph written anywhere else on a comic book other than on an inside page, typically a splash page margin, except for the Dynamic Forces cover signed Kirby autographs, which IMO are questionable, even though a COA accompanied them.

Edited by James J Johnson

When I think of PGX I imagine a guy in a basement cluttered with boxes and envelopes. I actually talked to one of the guys there on the phone a few years ago to get his side of a story going around at the time. He denied everything.

12 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

When I think of PGX I imagine a guy in a basement cluttered with boxes and envelopes. I actually talked to one of the guys there on the phone a few years ago to get his side of a story going around at the time. He denied everything.

You wouldnt be too far off.:whistle: