• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGX Reputation Rehab?
3 3

235 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I hate seeing "CGC it" in the title of an auction, for a non CGC book.

It's just key word spamming, but quite an irritation to sort through.  I notice a lot of auctions on eBay that list all three key words for the three slabbing companies.

7 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

Some of you are obviously not here to learn and just want to spout off your asinine ramblings and are turning this into a facebook comic book collecting, which may possibly be rock bottom.

I have no desire to join a Facebook anything, especially not to experience a comic book collecting community. Without joining one, I am curious what makes them so terrible. I trust you that they're probably less then desirable (from what little Facebook nonsense I have experienced) just wonder why that is and am hoping that someone can give me the skinny without going to the trouble to experience it myself first hand. 

As always, thanks. 

Edited by NoMan

Hate to beat this dead horse any further, but if anyone wants to see how PGX's Silver Age grading compares to CGC, here's an example of their 4.5 O.o in comparison to the only CGC 4.5 that I own (My scanner cut off the bottom portion of the ASM #3 but their are no tears or chips on the book).  

PGX asm 4.jpg

asm 3231.jpg

Edited by mosconi

13 hours ago, NoMan said:

I have no desire to join a Facebook anything, especially not to experience a comic book collecting community. Without joining one, I am curious what makes them so terrible. I trust you that they're probably less then desirable (from what little Facebook nonsense I have experienced) just wonder why that is and am hoping that someone can give me the skinny without going to the trouble to experience it myself first hand. 

As always, thanks. 

There are a lot of people that, to be honest, don't know jack.  Doesn't stop them from spouting off though.   Lots of "side choosing".   There are some good people posting as well, but too much nonsense to wade thru to read something worth reading.   Better just to come here.  Yeah, there's some nonsense but much easier to find good content. 

21 hours ago, Mackenzie999 said:

Are you sure about cost? Plastic is generally inexpensive, there's no printing involved, and I always assumed the bulk of what you were paying for was the expertise of the graders. Really all you need are blank shells and an operator to seal them. I could easily be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but I'd be surprised if they couldn't hit the $5 mark. I think fraud would be the biggest issue, I'm a designer and it would take me about 30 seconds to fake a label.

I'm not sure the potential for fraud would be any higher than it is for slabs that currently sport labels (to be clear, I'm not saying there's a lot of this kind of fraud happening today).  Presumably, you're saying that anyone would be able to whip up a fake label and slip it into the slab, right?  How is that any different than the situation right now?  Are you saying the only thing keeping shady folks from doing this already is their inability to remove the label from the case?  I've never tried, but I bet I could do it on a pre-2016 case.  Not sure about the new cases.  The point is, I'm not sure the risk for fraud is as high as you think.

But if the company thought the same way you did, they could solve the problem pretty easily by placing a sticker on the inside of non-graded cases.  Possibly a hologram sticker with the company logo, something large enough to see in any scanned image, but small enough that it doesn't detract from the book.  I think removing a sticker on the inside of the case without breaking the case is MUCH harder than just a simply inserting a fake label.  It would be a very cheap and easy fraud deterrent. 

If someone were to offer a "slabbing service only", who cares what's on the label other than the book info for identification purposes?   Or if it could be swapped out or not?  With no assigned grade the label is basically nothing more than a marketing tool.   You've bought a sturdy comic bag.  That's it. 

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

If someone were to offer a "slabbing service only", who cares what's on the label other than the book info for identification purposes?   Or if it could be swapped out or not?  With no assigned grade the label is basically nothing more than a marketing tool.   You've bought a sturdy comic bag.  That's it. 

The suggestion isn't for a "NG" label with only book information, it's for no label whatsoever. 

6 minutes ago, Turtle said:
2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

The suggestion isn't for a "NG" label with only book information, it's for no label whatsoever. 

You guys were talking about a "slab only" and about "label fraud" and "stickers on the inside" (of an ungraded book), right?  Did I misunderstand the conversation? 

That's what I was responding to.   If there is no assigned grade (no resto check, etc..), what's the point of a label?  Why would you need a company sticker?  What "fraud prevention" would need to be in place?   Why would you need anything other than the slab itself?  That's what I was trying to say.     

Edited by chrisco37

19 hours ago, chrisco37 said:
On 9/14/2017 at 8:07 AM, The Resurrection said:

Some of you are obviously not here to learn and just want to spout off your asinine ramblings and are turning this into a facebook comic book collecting, which may possibly be rock bottom

^^

Only thing I'd disagree with the above is the use of "possibly". 

Not directed at anybody in particular.....,

iDQjCH7.jpg