• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comicconnect November 2017 auction

244 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

its terrific isn't it?   (even to a non-fan of that time period).

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

I remember buying that book and reading that page - curious to see where it goes, but it is not something in my collecting wheelhouse. 

Well at least I don't have to worry about bidding against you two ?

2 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Gerard Jones is local to me and was in the news earlier this year. It wasn't good news.

After a Google search, hitting his Wikipedia page, and then reading the SFGate news article on the topic.... understatement of the year right there Felix.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Gerard Jones is local to me and was in the news earlier this year. It wasn't good news.

Didn't know that. But he plead not guilty and I don't see any updates to the story. So...still innocent until proven guilty, right? Not to mention none of this has anything to do with whether the book was good or not!

39 minutes ago, vodou said:

Didn't know that. But he plead not guilty and I don't see any updates to the story. So...still innocent until proven guilty, right? Not to mention none of this has anything to do with whether the book was good or not!

Just said it wasn't good news.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Just said it wasn't good news.

It's not good news and I can't imagine how anyone could read an author's words and ignore the author's alleged actions. 

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Certainly innocent until proven guilty... but there is a spectrum to that. If you read any of the articles published about it, the details make it sound like a solid case from an evidence perspective. Of course, you always want people to be found not guilty on these type of charges, we want to be told it was all a big mistake and no one was a victim.

31 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It's not good news and I can't imagine how anyone could read an author's words and ignore the author's alleged actions. 

Oh jeezus. Then "imagine" me as (any)one Chris. I can separate the message from the messenger and judge the quality of the message on it's own merits. From past conversations here I know you won't or can't.

4 hours ago, Nexus said:

With charges like that its often you are guilty (innocent until proven guilty goes out the window in the eyes of society in these cases) and then you go to court, and regardless of the verdict , you are still "the guy charged with THAT" .... its kind of a hard thing to bounce back from even if you are acquitted. Keep in mind also , that a judge had to sign off on the warrant based on the evidence presented to him to allow the arrest etc. 

28 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Certainly innocent until proven guilty... but there is a spectrum to that. If you read any of the articles published about it, the details make it sound like a solid case from an evidence perspective. Of course, you always want people to be found not guilty on these type of charges, we want to be told it was all a big mistake and no one was a victim.

Listen to the police and DA team, it's always an open and shut case, why no reason to even waste the court's time - let's just load up every charge we can and then plead 'em out to lessers and maintain a 97%+ conviction rate. Likewise listen to defense and defendant and they hardly have time to pay their bills, being so busy helping little old ladies cross the street 'n all. So who you gonna believe? Well hope it's a jury that can isolate the facts and work with them - for whatever outcome. I guess. But that's exactly none of us here, and I still stand by the book being an excellent history, and a well written read too, of the earliest days of DC. If you don't want to put money in Gerard's pocket then borrow it from a library. Everybody wins then, no?

Just now, vodou said:

Listen to the police and DA team, it's always an open and shut case, why no reason to even waste the court's time - let's just load up every charge we can and then plead 'em out to lessers and maintain a 97%+ conviction rate. Likewise listen to defense and defendant and they hardly have time to pay their bills, being so busy helping little old ladies cross the street 'n all. So who you gonna believe? Well hope it's a jury that can isolate the facts and work with them - for whatever outcome. I guess. But that's exactly none of us here, and I still stand by the book being an excellent history, and a well written read too, of the earliest days of DC. If you don't want to put money in Gerard's pocket then borrow it from a library. Everybody wins then, no?

I second that the book was outstanding, I was actually sad when I finished it, because I had finished it , and couldn't loose myself in the golden age of the tales of dc comics any longer 

3 minutes ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

With charges like that its often you are guilty (innocent until proven guilty goes out the window in the eyes of society in these cases) and then you go to court, and regardless of the verdict , you are still "the guy charged with THAT" .... its kind of a hard thing to bounce back from even if you are acquitted. Keep in mind also , that a judge had to sign off on the warrant based on the evidence presented to him to allow the arrest etc. 

Sure. Already the guy has lost whatever income those DC trades would have generated, along with whatever else has fallen by the wayside. Surely there's even more than we're not aware of or guessing out. The justice system provides for a way to work these things out, including the price of those crimes if found guilty. It typically does not include not being able to make a living anymore though.

1 minute ago, vodou said:

Sure. Already the guy has lost whatever income those DC trades would have generated, along with whatever else has fallen by the wayside. Surely there's even more than we're not aware of or guessing out. The justice system provides for a way to work these things out, including the price of those crimes if found guilty. It typically does not include not being able to make a living anymore though.

I'm with you, my point was just that being charged with 'THOSE' crimes is akin to the scarlet letter in today's society , innocent or not . And note that I'm not making any judgement as to wether or not he is guilty of said crimes as it's not my place

13 minutes ago, vodou said:

Contrary to my typical conduct on these boards, I'm not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person lol

Edit: Wow, you can't write i d i o t? The thought police are going a little far with that one.

Edited by SquareChaos