• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comicconnect November 2017 auction

244 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, vodou said:

No, you didn't. Everybody else misuses the term mightily as a marketing tool. You have The Splash Page, there is only per issue, it's the first page of the issue and can have more than one panel. The other one up for auction is a single-panel page. Everybody else -under the age of 45-50 will now disagree, along with some of the older folks too. But they are wrong. Such is the creep of terminology in everyday use away the actual publishing nomenclature and toward whatever can justify an additional mark-up. The ironic part of it is that this one up for auction doesn't need any juice to sell well!

Perhaps the original definition needed updating.   On CAF they have a category known as the TITLE PAGE. I use that for 1st page splash art.

Not sure why you couldnt call any other full page interior art a splash too?  If its not on the cover and is just one panel it could be a splash.

2 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Perhaps the original definition needed updating.   On CAF they have a category known as the TITLE PAGE. I use that for 1st page splash art.

Not sure why you couldnt call any other full page interior art a splash too?  If its not on the cover and is just one panel it could be a splash.

You can do anything you want, everyone else does. The new fads are: cover-like, cover quality, etc. Somebody somewhere has probably started using coverish even. My preference is for the original industry usage, when the layout was important to selling copies not original art. There was the cover, the splash, and...the rest.

15 minutes ago, vodou said:

You can do anything you want, everyone else does. The new fads are: cover-like, cover quality, etc. Somebody somewhere has probably started using coverish even. My preference is for the original industry usage, when the layout was important to selling copies not original art. There was the cover, the splash, and...the rest.

So you have a problem with

cover-ish  too?

;)

Well, if the cover is a reworking of an interior panel, that description seems okay?   Of course, I'm sure like all of these descriptions its been used and abused!

5 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

I think we should start using "Splashatude" it's a panel page, but it gives off the same attitude as a splash page.  

You know, you totally go.. "woah dude" when you see it.

Let's just simplify: "just like a cover, except it's not, but priced the same anyway". That's boilerplate, you can sub in splash if you prefer to show a small measure of restraint ;)

11 hours ago, bisquitodoom said:

You jest, but I can't count the number of times I've seen a page listed as being the "cover scene".  It's like the front cover, only smaller.  

personally I love cover scenes - its a way to save funds if you can't afford the actual cover.  the cover often took a key sequence from inside and blew it up/reworked it as a cover. 

anyway you look at it - collecting should be fun -as long as you are not mislead, descriptions are not too big a deal. 

I'm still blown away by the WD art I saw at Metropolis tonight.  The 1st-tier stuff is truly best of breed...hard to see it going cheaply.  I think it will be good for the WD OA market to spread this material out into more hands.  It's been largely 2nd and 3rd tier material available for some time (re: stuff that is not going to attract high-end collectors who missed the boat initially); I could see this kind of quality bringing fresh collector interest into the marketplace. 2c 

5 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I'm still blown away by the WD art I saw at Metropolis tonight.  The 1st-tier stuff is truly best of breed...hard to see it going cheaply.  I think it will be good for the WD OA market to spread this material out into more hands.  It's been largely 2nd and 3rd tier material available for some time (re: stuff that is not going to attract high-end collectors who missed the boat initially); I could see this kind of quality bringing fresh collector interest into the marketplace. 2c 

Not being much of a fan, please excuse what's probably a stupid question, but does any WD art have the word balloons? If not...this missed the boat collector still isn't biting.

21 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Any chance you would be so kind as to share some photos with those of us that couldn’t make the pilgrimage to witness the display first hand?

1 hour ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

Any chance you would be so kind as to share some photos with those of us that couldn’t make the pilgrimage to witness the display first hand?

I only took 5 photos...4 pieces that I plan to bid on and 1 piece that a friend plans to bid on.  So, for obvious reasons, they're going to stay on my phone!

48 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I only took 5 photos...4 pieces that I plan to bid on and 1 piece that a friend plans to bid on.  So, for obvious reasons, they're going to stay on my phone!

Thats understandable, enjoy the show! Jealous!!

Edited by Ryanfromottawa

C C framed those pages for the show.. pretty sure that they just rotate the art for the next showing that they would have. I only had a few of my pages frame, mainly because I bought it that way.

A large portion of the John Watkiss art i bought framed from a art gallery that represented him. I don't see any in the pictures but they did a very nice job as well.