• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baltimore Con 2017 Report
1 1

108 posts in this topic

My very brief report....

Weekend was mainly to see my great friend, Sal who flew in Friday evening.   Picked him up a Dulles and we just hung out at my place.   After a late start Saturday morning, we headed out to Bmore.   Got into town right around 3pm, which was check-in time at the Holiday Inn.   Great location as it's about a block from the con.   Decent rates.  Horrible elevators and the strongest scent of air freshener in our room.   It really was pretty overpowering.  Probably should've asked for a new room, but we were only in there to sleep.

Got to the con about 3:15 or so and ran into Greggy (who was on his way out).  Chatted with him for 10 minutes or so and always good to see him.   In the next hour or so, blew thru my con budget pretty quickly with large purchases with Bob/Brian, Gator and Greg Reece (all guys who always have great stuff at their booths).   If I had been looking for resell/stock books, I would've probably just spent all my money with Brian who always give great deals out.   He and Bob had some really great stuff from a collection they picked up awhile back.   Got some nice BA Batman's from him.   Bob had a Superman 1, which was pretty cool to see as well.

Since I had spent all my money within the first hour, I didn't really check much out at other booths.   Should've bought something from Rich as he's one of the true good guys and so much fun to talk to about books.  Finding the comments about lack of GA strange as Donut had so many books of all ages, he probably could've held his own con with just his booth. 

Ran into some old friends (BronzeBruce, Tom Gordon, Rich Evans, Donut, Steve Borock, Rob Greene, Roy).   Missed seeing some people too (sorry Wally!).  Fun show.  Brian squeezed Sal and I in on diner reservations.   Got to chat with Bruce at dinner which is always great.  

Books I picked up:

ASM Annual 1 (CGC 5.0)

ASM 110, 194 (x2)

Batman 221

Detective 359 (CGC 6.0) , 425, 429, 475

FF 48 (CGC 6.5)

PPTSSM 64

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Got into town right around 3pm, which was check-in time at the Holiday Inn.   Great location as it's about a block from the con.   Decent rates.  Horrible elevators and the strongest scent of air freshener in our room.   It really was pretty overpowering.  Probably should've asked for a new room, but we were only in there to sleep.

Got to the con about 3:15 or so and ran into Greggy (who was on his way out).  Chatted with him for 10 minutes or so and always good to see him.   In the next hour or so, blew thru my con budget pretty quickly with large purchases with Bob/Brian, Gator and Greg Reece (all guys who always have great stuff at their booths).   If I had been looking for resell/stock books, I would've probably just spent all my money with Brian who always give great deals out.   He and Bob had some really great stuff from a collection they picked up awhile back.   Got some nice BA Batman's from him.   Bob had a Superman 1, which was pretty cool to see as well.

Since I had spent all my money within the first hour, I didn't really check much out at other booths.   Should've bought something from Rich as he's one of the true good guys and so much fun to talk to about books.  Finding the comments about lack of GA strange as Donut had so many books of all ages, he probably could've held his own con with just his booth. 

Ran into some old friends (BronzeBruce, Tom Gordon, Rich Evans, Donut, Steve Borock, Rob Greene, Roy).   Missed seeing some people too (sorry Wally!).  Fun show.  Brian squeezed Sal and I in on diner reservations.   Got to chat with Bruce at dinner which is always great.  

Books I picked up:

ASM Annual 1 (CGC 5.0)

ASM 110, 194 (x2)

Batman 221

Detective 359 (CGC 6.0) , 425, 429, 475

FF 48 (CGC 6.5)

PPTSSM 64

Wow. My room at the Day's Inn hotel also delivered a full frontal assault on my nose and lungs with a totally noxious air "un"-freshener. Thought I was going to break out in hives. I remarked on this at the front desk; they told me someone else had made the same complaint.

Sounds like this is a thing at the Baltimore budget hotels. 

44 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Wow. My room at the Day's Inn hotel also delivered a full frontal assault on my nose and lungs with a totally noxious air "un"-freshener. Thought I was going to break out in hives. I remarked on this at the front desk; they told me someone else had made the same complaint.

Sounds like this is a thing at the Baltimore budget hotels. 

NOT directing this to anyone personally here on the boards, but it sounds as though the Baltimore hotels may have gotten a "whiff"of this New York Post story (thread below) from a few years ago and prepared for the "legendary" sanitary habits of comic fans! Hence perhaps, the reason for their air freshener paranoia!

http://nypost.com/2013/10/10/comic-con-plea-shower/

27 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

NOT directing this to anyone personally here on the boards, but it sounds as though the Baltimore hotels may have gotten a "whiff"of this New York Post story (thread below) from a few years ago and prepared for the "legendary" sanitary habits of comic fans! Hence perhaps, the reason for their air freshener paranoia!

http://nypost.com/2013/10/10/comic-con-plea-shower/

Awesome!

In a message pasted on the event’s official website, Comic Con demands that nerdy attendees wash themselves and use deodorant after they emerge from their moms’ basements to attend the event.

I wasn't at the show during the heaviest traffic (in the past, it seems the 12-2 time is the most crowded).   Didn't really catch any nerd stink while I was there. 

One thing that I didn't mention in my report is that the guys I talked to all said they were having a good show. 

Glad to see that the show continues to grow/thrive.  Marc really does an outstanding job with it.  

2 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I wasn't at the show during the heaviest traffic (in the past, it seems the 12-2 time is the most crowded).   Didn't really catch any nerd stink while I was there. 

I don't think you notice the aroma unless it is different than your own...., :baiting: