• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 27 CGC 2.5 Blue Label going up for auction

63 posts in this topic

At ComicLink. I guess after sitting there for a while in the buy it now section with a high offer of 375 000$ the seller decide to take it to auction.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Ddetective%2Bcomics%2B27%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1205443&id=1205443&itemType=0

11 minutes ago, SC22 said:

At ComicLink. I guess after sitting there for a while in the buy it now section with a high offer of 375 000$ the seller decide to take it to auction.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Ddetective%2Bcomics%2B27%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1205443&id=1205443&itemType=0

and then what ... ?

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Wouldn't get a 2.5 now under the new tape rules, right? hm

The "new" rule is that taping a defect will not improve the grade.  Whatever the tape is doing, will be ignored. In this case, the tape is re-attaching the cover.  But the book is still a 2.5.  If there was no tape, the cover would be detached.  Books can be as high as a 4.0 with a detached cover, no?  Already low grade books with tape, the tape rules are usually moot since most of the defects people would try to use tape to fix are allowable anyway.  

-J.

20 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Wouldn't get a 2.5 now under the new tape rules, right? hm

The "new" rule is that taping a defect will not improve the grade.  Whatever the tape is doing, will be ignored. In this case, the tape is re-attaching the cover.  But the book is still a 2.5.  If there was no tape, the cover would be detached.  Books can be as high as a 4.0 with a detached cover, no?  Already low grade books with tape, the tape rules are usually moot since most of the defects people would try to use tape to fix are allowable anyway.  

-J.

I know there was a Tec 27 that had its split cover taped together specifically to raise the grade -- which I think proved to be a successful strategy.  I believe it was that incident and some other similar ones that led CGC to change the rules.  

I don't know if it's true of this book, but if the covers were entirely split, then I don't think it would have received a 2.5 without the tape.

Again, speaking to the general case here, not trying to beat on this particular book, whose history I don't know. And, this copy certainly looks very nice for the grade in the CLink scans.

38 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I know there was a Tec 27 that had its split cover taped together specifically to raise the grade -- which I think proved to be a successful strategy.  I believe it was that incident and some other similar ones that led CGC to change the rules.  

I don't know if it's true of this book, but if the covers were entirely split, then I don't think it would have received a 2.5 without the tape.

Again, speaking to the general case here, not trying to beat on this particular book, whose history I don't know. And, this copy certainly looks very nice for the grade in the CLink scans.

What's the highest grade possible for a book with a split/detached cover? 

-J.

12 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

What's the highest grade possible for a book with a split/detached cover? 

-J.

52 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

If the spine was split it would say so on the label.   

A simple detached cover as was said can grade a lot higher than this.

7 minutes ago, Bronty said:

That's what I thought as well.  

So if all the tape is doing is re-attaching the cover, and a detached cover is allowed at this grade range, then the tape did not improve the grade here.   

-J.

23 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Maybe, but I guess it depends on whether the graders can tell through the tape.

Again, I'm not sure what the story is with this particular book, but there definitely have been lower-grade GA keys that were helped by being taped.  Hence the rules change.

11 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Again, I'm not sure what the story is with this particular book, but there definitely have been lower-grade GA keys that were helped by being taped.  Hence the rules change.

You may be right that it may have improved the grade at the time it was graded; couldn't tell you.

However, in general, spine splits are disclosed and detached covers can grade higher.

In this particular case as you imply it could have gone either way.    The notes might tell more

58 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

That's what I thought as well.  

So if all the tape is doing is re-attaching the cover, and a detached cover is allowed at this grade range, then the tape did not improve the grade here.   

-J.

41 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

This book was sold at heritage. You can look at there archives. It was a 1.5

The  spine was completly split. 

sold for 83k in 2009.  i was offered this book for 120k when 2010 it was taped up. Then 150k  in 2011.

This book is a 1.5 that looks higher

But still in indsight a great investment that i should have bought.  Just didnt like the fact they called it a 2.5

IMG_0418.PNG

IMG_0419.PNG

IMG_0420.PNG

1 hour ago, zen514 said:

This book was sold at heritage. You can look at there archives. It was a 1.5

The  spine was completly split. 

sold for 83k in 2009.  i was offered this bookimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b for 120k when 2010 it was taped up. Then 150k  in 2011.

This book is a 1.5 that looks higher

But still in indsight a great investment that i should have bought.  Just didnt like the fact they called it a 2.5

IMG_0418.PNG

IMG_0419.PNG

IMG_0420.PNG

Was the book pressed as well ?  Do we know that there were not other "improvements" done that helped the grade?

And what is the highest grade a book can have with a split/detached cover?  If the answer is higher than 2.5, then that would still render the presence of tape moot, since tape itself is allowable at this low of a grade.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I think the highest grade a book can receive with a completely detached and split cover with no other structural damage is a 2.5.  Why?  Because I have a book graded at this grade.

Oh and I don't think pressing would help at all in this case since the covers are split from top to bottom. I doubt no other improvements were made besides the tape.

Edited by Dark Knight

I don't believe I had the book pressed

two months prior to me purchasing the 1.5 tec 27 at auction I had seen a 1.8 action one with the same split cover get taped and receive a 2.5

so I took a shot with this one and results were consistent with grading at the time